Official GIGABYTE Forum

Z-170x Gaming 7 Problem with wifi

jp615

Z-170x Gaming 7 Problem with wifi
« on: March 31, 2016, 06:32:33 am »
I have a Z-170x Gaming 7, F6 bios.  I've been having trouble with my wireless receiver dropping connection all the time.  I get on, it connects fine, it will stay connected until I actually get on the internet.  Then it starts to drop connection; sometimes it will drop the network I'm on (star symbol over the bars), and sometimes it will drop the entire signal from my wireless receiver (x over the bars).  I don't know if it's a motherboard issue or Windows or anything else??  It worked fine in my previous setup, which was:  Windows 7 home premium with a Biostar mobo.  Along with my new mobo, I upgraded to Windows 7 Pro, which I wouldn't assume would make a difference in this context.  I downloaded the correct driver for my wireless receiver from the manufacturer's website.  My wireless receiver is a Linksys wusb600N version 2.  I have ZERO idea what to do.  I've uninstalled and reinstalled the driver, tried disabling tcp/ip v6, Windows troubleshooting does absolutely nothing except sometimes it resets the device and sometimes it starts to work again and sometimes it doesn't.  I've tried disabling the built in killer and Intel LAN's - nothing, SAME THING happens every time.  And it drops connectivity quicker if I am watching a video or downloading a file or anything else that uses more bandwith.  I included an error log just in case it might be helpful.

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
Re: Z-170x Gaming 7 Problem with wifi
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 09:29:21 pm »
Please tell us whats in front of this connection

ISP
Speeds you subscribe to
Modem model (is it in bridge mode)?
Router model
or combo?
Wireless broadcast you are connecting to (2.4, 5Ghz)
Security type ?
If dual band do your SSID's have different names?

Does this happen over a wired connection, or just wireless?

Now
Open a command prompt

Give us an output of >ipconfig /all

Then
ping [gateway IP] -t <press enter>

Watch this for a minute, any packet loss?

Now do the same pinging an IP outside your LAN same -t switch

Watch for a minute, any packet loss?

Now

>tracert  [gateway IP]   ...  will be 1 hop, post results

Now

>tracert [IP outside of LAN], post the results

A tracert to the IP of the server where the videos originate from would be even better.  ;)
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 02:00:34 am »
Make sure it is a USB-2 slot. By what I'm reading it is USB-2 right.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124278
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

jp615

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 12:50:20 am »
Please tell us whats in front of this connection

ISP
Speeds you subscribe to
Modem model (is it in bridge mode)?
Router model
or combo?
Wireless broadcast you are connecting to (2.4, 5Ghz)
Security type ?
If dual band do your SSID's have different names?

Does this happen over a wired connection, or just wireless?

Now
Open a command prompt

Give us an output of >ipconfig /all

Then
ping [gateway IP] -t <press enter>

Watch this for a minute, any packet loss?

Now do the same pinging an IP outside your LAN same -t switch

Watch for a minute, any packet loss?

Now

>tracert  [gateway IP]   ...  will be 1 hop, post results

Now

>tracert [IP outside of LAN], post the results

A tracert to the IP of the server where the videos originate from would be even better.  ;)

Comcast
25mbps
Modem:  Cisco, device type: XB3, model: DPC3939
Don't know if it is in bridge mode
It is a router combo
I am on the 5Ghz
Security type:  WPA/WPA2-PSK (TKIP/AES)
SSID's do have different names:  one specifies 2.4Ghz, the other specifies 5
I haven't tried a wired connection.  My computer is very far from the modem.
As for the rest of your request, I'm not what the "output" is you need.  And I don't see anything that says "gateway IP" after entering the config command.  Those instructions are bordering my present technical know-how.  Thank you for your response though. 
And an update:  I bought a different wireless adapter/receiver recently to see if anything would change.  It's a Netgear A6210 usb 3.0 wireless adapter.  So far it has worked much better.  I still have experienced the same issues however.  Just a few days ago I was having connectivity drops again, but today and yesterday I didn't experience any.  I have no idea why it would happen one day but not the next.  And I've been keeping an eye on my Administrative events under Location Activity, and when the connection dropped there was always an error saying "none of the configured DNS servers responded" -Event ID 1014.  Just thought I would throw that in there in case it would help.