Official GIGABYTE Forum

Z77x-UD5H-WB WiFi, Cannot move the disks out of Safely Remove Hardware list

Win10 Enterprise, I have installed the SATA drive for the Marvell SATA3 chipset, but the 3 drives still exist in the Safely Remove Hardware list. There's no option of Hot Plug in the BIOS either.

What can I do to not to display these 3 drives there? I fixed it on Win7, but didn't fix it on Win10. Any idea? Thanks!

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Do you have a DVD/Rw drive? If you do go back in and make sure the drives are are before the DVD drive. You will find them in the "Hard Drive/CD/DVD ROM Drive/Floppy Drive/Network Device BBS Priorities".

I have Intel Z77 board just the other day that the HHD would not show up at all. Change the order of all the drives and when I got back into windows 10 everything was fine.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

Do you have a DVD/Rw drive? If you do go back in and make sure the drives are are before the DVD drive. You will find them in the "Hard Drive/CD/DVD ROM Drive/Floppy Drive/Network Device BBS Priorities".

I have Intel Z77 board just the other day that the HHD would not show up at all. Change the order of all the drives and when I got back into windows 10 everything was fine.

I don't have any DVD drives.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Hi there,

Further to the PM you sent me. If there isn't an option in BIOS for setting the HDD's, you should be able to alter the way that Windows sets the drive as Internal only by re-writing the registry.

The simplest way to do this is shown in the following Microsoft help page: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3083627

Hopefully this will solve the problem for you.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Hi there,

Further to the PM you sent me. If there isn't an option in BIOS for setting the HDD's, you should be able to alter the way that Windows sets the drive as Internal only by re-writing the registry.

The simplest way to do this is shown in the following Microsoft help page: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3083627

Hey, thanks for your reply!

It says:
    For Windows 7:
        Type the following command in the previously opened command prompt and hit Enter:

reg.exe add “HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\msahci\Controller0\Channelx\” /f /v TreatAsInternalPort /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001
        Where xcorresponds to the Bus Number you noted in step 4.

For Windows 8 and later:
        Type the following command in the previously opened command prompt and hit Enter:

reg.exe add “HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\storahci\Parameters\Device” /f /v TreatAsInternalPort /t REG_MULTI_SZ /d x
        Where x corresponds to the Bus Number you noted in step 4.

My desktop is Win10, so I use the win8 path. Now here is a question, only set x is enough? On Win7, the value for registry is 0x00000001, where should I set on Win10?

I have add the 2 registries for both mvs91xx and storahci as below. But it doesn't work.

reg.exe add “HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\storahci\Parameters\Device” /f /v TreatAsInternalPort /t REG_MULTI_SZ /d 0

reg.exe add “HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\mvs91xx\Parameters\Device” /f /v TreatAsInternalPort /t REG_MULTI_SZ /d 0

I think maybe the registries are not correct, because I only set the port number, but where should I set the value for TreatAsInternalPort? Like on Win 7: the DWORD value is 0x00000001.

reg.exe add “HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\msahci\Controller0\Channelx\” /f /v TreatAsInternalPort /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001

Hi there,

I have fixed the issue. By removing the Marvell SATA3 driver, the driver switched to MS driver by default. Then I added the registry entry below and it works. So seems like the SATA3 driver I installed is wrong. I may need to investigate more.

reg.exe add “HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\storahci\Parameters\Device” /f /v TreatAsInternalPort /t REG_MULTI_SZ /d 0

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Pleased you found a solution, even if it wasn't really the one that you were looking for.

It may be that none of the Marvell drivers allow you to disable the hotswap feature, as they expect the Marvell ports to be primarily used for RAID arrays rather than individual drives.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Pleased you found a solution, even if it wasn't really the one that you were looking for.

It may be that none of the Marvell drivers allow you to disable the hotswap feature, as they expect the Marvell ports to be primarily used for RAID arrays rather than individual drives.

I guess so. I have found one Marvell SATA3 driver on Gigabyte US site and will try to install it later. Thanks a lot for your help!

Right now, I need to fight with another issue that my system will reboot immediately once I open TMT3 (TotalMedia Theatre 3) :'(
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 12:08:41 pm by justinwub »