Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA z170x-gaming 7 will NOT come on (new build)

HollyR

Re: GA z170x-gaming 7 will NOT come on (new build)
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2016, 02:27:54 am »
There should be # on the memory.
Could it be 20163?

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2016, 03:11:20 am »
There should be a sticker on the memory with a # some thing like this CT2K16G4DFD824A
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2016, 03:39:28 pm »
Hello HollyR,

If the board cannot maintain a powered on state without the CPU and RAM there is something wrong.

This is how a working motherboard will behave,

• Without a CPU or memory module installed the board should turn on, remain on and show a DEBUG code to indicate a CPU problem.
  • With a working CPU + no RAM it will turn on, remain on and show a DEBUG code to indicate a Memory problem.
My PC is evolving

HollyR

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2016, 03:06:12 pm »
Hello HollyR,

If the board cannot maintain a powered on state without the CPU and RAM there is something wrong.

This is how a working motherboard will behave,

• Without a CPU or memory module installed the board should turn on, remain on and show a DEBUG code to indicate a CPU problem.

• With a working CPU + no RAM it will turn on, remain on and show a DEBUG code to indicate a Memory problem.
Thank you, that is what I suspected. The board went back to B&H yesterday and I will report back when I get the new one. My biggest fear is that I somehow damaged it myself. I would never want to cheat anyone due to my mistake.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 04:32:02 pm by absic »

autotech

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2016, 02:42:00 am »
Had that same problem on my Z-170 board. Liked to shoot myself because I build and have plenty of spare parts. Turned out it was the memory and not the board or cpu. No debug code just 5 seconds on and then off then back on then off over and over.  I finally said heck with it and looked at approved list and none of the memory I had was listed so I bought 4 x 4 gig sticks of an approved memory and got a surprise it all worked. I hope rma'ing the motherboard works for you but if it doesn't then it is the memory.
GA-Z170X-UD5,Core i5-6600K,16 GIG,3200 ram ,2 X Corsair 240GB SATA III SSD, 500 gig HD,7 ult 64\, Rx-480 8gig\

Z97X-SOC GIGABYTE, I5 4670k, 16 gig 1600 ram, 240 gig sata3 SSD,1x 500HD/ R9 280x, corsair 650 RM PSU

GA-Z97X-Gaming G1,850 corsair,,DDR4 3200,240SSd,6950 video,850EVA

dmdilks

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2016, 04:26:05 pm »
Had that same problem on my Z-170 board. Liked to shoot myself because I build and have plenty of spare parts. Turned out it was the memory and not the board or cpu. No debug code just 5 seconds on and then off then back on then off over and over.  I finally said heck with it and looked at approved list and none of the memory I had was listed so I bought 4 x 4 gig sticks of an approved memory and got a surprise it all worked. I hope rma'ing the motherboard works for you but if it doesn't then it is the memory.

I have been trying to say that all a long. We both might be wrong, but these newer boards act different from older boards. You can take 2 of the same boards and will act different. You are the second person that has done that and work with the right memory.   
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2016, 11:24:53 pm »
With memory in a board that isn't compatible yes the power cycle issue can be present in a never ending loop but please don't overlook the obvious feature of nearly every single motherboard.

If you power a motherboard with just the CPU and no memory installed, it will not do the forever looping power cycle issue.
The whole purpose of the diagnostic code would be non-existent if this was normal practice and I challenge anyone with a working Gigabyte Z170 series board (or any other) to try it.

Turn your computer on without the memory modules and see what happens.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 11:33:18 pm by ElectroStingz »
My PC is evolving

dmdilks

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2016, 12:48:09 am »
With memory in a board that isn't compatible yes the power cycle issue can be present in a never ending loop but please don't overlook the obvious feature of nearly every single motherboard.

If you power a motherboard with just the CPU and no memory installed, it will not do the forever looping power cycle issue.
The whole purpose of the diagnostic code would be non-existent if this was normal practice and I challenge anyone with a working Gigabyte Z170 series board (or any other) to try it.

Yes you are right that things should work that way. But if you go back over a year and look at all the threads started with the Z170 series boards. Nothing has been normal with these boards. Over 70% of the problems with these boards has been memory.

The last three bios update have been to deal with memory. (Improve DDR Compatibility, Improve DDR Compatibility & Improve DDR XMP compatibility). The 3 big things with these boards have been #1 memory, #2 Audio, & #3 USB 3.0. Yes you would think everything should work right, but not on these boards.

Plus I hope he get things work out. Nothing you hate worse then to have put everything together. Go to push that power button and nothing. Been there many times.  ;D

HollyR

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2016, 02:35:57 am »

Yes you are right that things should work that way. But if you go back over a year and look at all the threads started with the Z170 series boards. Nothing has been normal with these boards. Over 70% of the problems with these boards has been memory.

The last three bios update have been to deal with memory. (Improve DDR Compatibility, Improve DDR Compatibility & Improve DDR XMP compatibility). The 3 big things with these boards have been #1 memory, #2 Audio, & #3 USB 3.0. Yes you would think everything should work right, but not on these boards.

Plus I hope he get things work out. Nothing you hate worse then to have put everything together. Go to push that power button and nothing. Been there many times.  ;D
Now you all have me very nervous. I have a new board on its way. This is my plan
1. Try it first with with nothing but power.
2. Add cpu and try
3. Try with cpu and memory.
Do you agree?
What worries me about the memory issue is, why did the power on problems persist even after I removed it? Do you think the wrong memory could damage the board?
As a separate problem, when I reinstall the cpu and cooler, what do I do about the dried thermal paste on each of these?

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2016, 10:22:07 am »
For the thermal paste you would have to remove the old layer, wipe away with a dry paper kitchen towel.
Then apply new...

Once you get the new board why not just put all the bits in there and see if it works :)
Your memory cannot damage anything, I have the Crucial BallisitX Sport 2400Mhz in a Z170X UD5-TH board, worked ok with an i7-6700k and Celeron G3900.

My PC is evolving

dmdilks

« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2016, 01:02:59 pm »
I'm going to add to what ElectroStingz said. That I would try it on the box it comes it before putting in the case. Plus if everything works. Then check to make sure all the little standoffs are line up with the holes on the board too.

HollyR

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2016, 03:00:51 am »
I'm going to add to what ElectroStingz said. That I would try it on the box it comes it before putting in the case. Plus if everything works. Then check to make sure all the little standoffs are line up with the holes on the board too.
Well my new board arrived today and I am up and running. Thanks so much to all of you for your advice, suggestions, and help. I couldn't have done it without you. I really think my bad board was my fault...I am so green at this, I am sure I hooked something up wrong the first time. This is my first build and it shows.
Now if I could only figure out how to get my old optical drive connected to the motherboard so I could install an operating system. What do they say, one step forward, two steps back?

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2016, 01:10:59 pm »
The first board was probably faulty.
As to the optical drive, if it is an old IDE one with the wide ribbon cable that would be a giant leap back in time. :)
My PC is evolving

HollyR

« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2016, 01:52:59 pm »
Quote from: ElectroStingz link=topic=17 :634.msg102272#msg102272 date=1470312659
The first board was probably faulty.
As to the optical drive, if it is an old IDE one with the wide ribbon cable that would be a giant leap back in time. :)
Ummm...yes, I am afraid it that old.  Another big goof up on my part. I don't mind buying a new drive, just hate getting stalled again. I bought windows 10 on disc and can't get an operating system installed until I get a drive working. ;-(

HollyR

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2016, 02:00:30 am »
Well, yet another step forward after about 40 back. I ended up ordering an optical drive...which I won't get for 4 days. So I searched online and discovered I could download it to usb. Downloader would not recognize ANY of my usb sticks. Finally downloaded an iso....more googling. Found a Microsoft download that will convert iso to usb. Voila! I am finally  up and running windows 10. One caveat, system still seems "fragile" for lack of a better word. Doesn't always come on first try. I wiggle and snug all connections and then it does. Sure hope it is not always that finnicky.