Official GIGABYTE Forum

Upgraded BIOS now Windows 7 will not startup - urgent

Upgraded BIOS now Windows 7 will not startup - urgent
« on: June 18, 2017, 10:44:57 am »
Hello
MY first post and I am becoming desperate.
Today I downloaded version F8 and upgraded the BIOS using Q-Flash after firsdt allowing Q-Flash to make a copy of my current BIOS.
It all finished successfully but when I rebooted my system firstly I got the Gigabyte flash screen and then the system automatically rebooted and then the Windows flash window appeared briefly and then an error advising -
Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software .....
and then I was prompted to attempt to launch startup repair or start windows normally.
I allowed 'startup repair' to run and after some time it displayed that windows could not automatically be repaired.
I have 'googled' this problem and tried everything I have read but without success.
I tried using Q-Flash to reflash using the copy of the original bios I have but it will not allow previous versions to be used.

I thought that I might be able to get the motherboard to use the 'other' bios (dual bios) but could not find anything in bios setup. I found something on the web to try and force the normal bios to get a checksum error so that on startup the backup bios would over write the normal bios but could not get this to work.

I tried rebooting with the Windows 7 installation disk and doing a windows repair but that also did not work.

Do I have to reformat my drive and install windows and everything else again? Hopefully not.

GA-H87M-HD3   i7-4779  8Gb ram Windows 7 64 bit
Motherboard H87M-HD3  i7-4770    8GB 1600 single channel RAM. Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
2 X SSD drives   1 X SATA drive

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
Re: Upgraded BIOS now Windows 7 will not startup - urgent
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 02:48:16 pm »
Tell up more about the exact error you received when windows failed to start.  Was it a blue screen?  If yes, what is the STOP error (examples) 0x00000xxx [IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL] or No Boot Device found, black screen flashing cursor...?? 

Are you running RAID?

Other troubleshooting steps.

Reset CMOS [Load Defaults]
Review all BIOS settings and confirm your boot order and boot devices are properly detected and set to correct order.

Might also be helpful if you provide your complete system specs, and what/how windows was installed to your boot device.
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 12:44:27 am »
Thanks for your reply. I have updated by 'signature' with system details.
In answer to your questions.
NO Blue screen
Not running RAID
CMOS was reset to 'optimised defaults'
All BIOS settings appear to be the same as they were including boot order
Windows installed to C: drive (SSD) from installation DVD which is labeled 'intended for distribution with a new PC'.

I tried to restore windows to an earlier point twice with the same result -
Could not restore   Unspecified error occurred during SystemRestore  (0x800700b7).

I tried to reflash the BIOS using Q-Flash and backup of the BIOS I did before to upgrade but it won't allow me as it is an earlier version.
IS THERE a way to reflash using backup?

AT some point when I tried to 'repair windows' the and I clicked on 'more information (or something similar) it displayed
Problem signature
Problem Event Name  StartupRepairOffline
Problem signature  01:  0.0.0.0
Problem signature  02:  6.1.7600.16385
Problem signature  03:  Unknown
Problem signature  04:  21199182
Problem signature  05:  AutoFailover
Problem signature  06:  6
Problem signature  07:  NoRootCause

Let me know if there is anything else you need

Thanks
Motherboard H87M-HD3  i7-4770    8GB 1600 single channel RAM. Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

shadowsports

• Gigabyte US
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 03:33:23 am »
Hi,
Do you have a back up image of your windows install?  If yes, this would be a good time to restore from back up.  If not, I suggest you slave the disk with your installation in another computer and back up anything important on this disk. 

Are you able to start in Safe mode by chance??  Press F8 (tape, pause, tap, pause) during POST.  I suspect not, but asking anyway.

Also confirm Correct memory size, frequency and CPU parameters look correct in BIOS under MIT. (Probably nothing to see here)

Other steps:

Open a command prompt in the Recovery Console:

Type Bootrec /RebuildBcd, and then press ENTER. Type yes if a path to your windows install is found, then test restarting normally.  Results?

If the Bootrec.exe tool cannot locate any missing Windows installations, you can remove the BCD store, and re-create it. To do this, type the following commands in the order in which they are presented. Press ENTER after each command.

Bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup (creates a back up of the file you are deleting)

ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old (renames the existing file with .old extension)

Bootrec /rebuildbcd (scans for a windows install, and rebuilds the BCD pointing to the install)

Once again, restart and attempt to start windows normally.

This article can be used for reference.  Varies slightly from my steps.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/927392/use-bootrec.exe-in-the-windows-re-to-troubleshoot-startup-issues

Just so you have a understanding of the problem.  After flashing the computer with a upgraded BIOS, it might have newer settings or parameters that were not used or available when the OS was originally installed.  The boot issue and error you received can have more than one cause.  Examples can be:

BIOS settings incorrect for installed OS (UEFI, Secure Boot, instead of Legacy Boot Options)
Formatting of the disk cannot be read or interpreted by the new BIOS.  (example disk/partition offset)
Boot Manager missing or corrupt
Size or location of recovery partition not correct or what new BIOS is expecting.

This is tough to diagnose over the web  :(  So wishing you luck.  I suggest you back up your data before proceeding with recovery options.   

Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 07:13:00 am »
Thanks again for all your support.
No I don't have a backup image of my windows to install at least I don't think I have and I cannot even get to a CMD screen to check (it could be on a partition on one of the disks).
I cannot start in Safe mode. I tried starting in Safe mode with command prompt but after files are loaded it automatically reboots.
Also tried starting in Safe mode - same happens.
I don't know how to get to the Recovery Console to try the other things you suggest.

I am SO annoyed that reflashing the BIOS using Q-Flash and the relevant file from the Gigabyte web site has screwed up everything.

I tried reflashing the BIOS using Q-Flash just in case something went wrong the first time but it made no difference.
I did notice though that when Q-Flash completes it does NOT prompt to continue to reboot the system as the documentation suggests will happen it just automatically reboots.

I also note that when the file to reflash is selected and Q-Flash starts to reflash it initially displays that it is erasing the BIOS and not to power off. I have read that if there is something wrong with the primary BIOS (eg CRC error) the system will automatically select the secondary BIOS (it has dual bios remember). I am wondering what would happen if I did power off as it was erasing and then turned power back on and booted would the secondary BIOS be used to boot as the primary one would be erased. Hopefully the secondary bios contains the old version before reflashing.
Or would that be dangerous.

Do you know of a way to reflash the primary bios using the backup I made before I reflashed with the latest version? Q-Flash won't allow it as it is an older version.

If I decide enough is enough and reformat and reinstall am I likely to still have problems?

Thanks again

shadowsports

• Gigabyte US
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 03:06:47 pm »
Thanks for the update.  You can reach a command prompt the same way you attempt a start up repair.  After selecting Repair my computer, one of the options will be command prompt when you start from the windows install DVD. 

If you have gone through the flashing procedure twice, its likely completed successfully.  You said you had loaded optimized defaults.  Use the CLR_CMOS jumper to double check the BIOS was in fact reset.  In this case, you remove power to the board, but leave the MB battery installed when you short the jumper.  A flat head screwdriver works best for this.

The back up BIOS cannot re-flash the primary BIOS after it has been upgraded to a BIOS that does not allow downgrade.  It is possible to manually flash the BIOS to an earlier version...  but it can introduce other problems, and in my opinion should only be considered as a last resort.  I'd reinstall before going that route, as flashing is always a risk and going backwards when the file sizes are different can make undesirable changes to the MAC, UUID, Serial Number on the board.  You can hex edit them back, but the process requires multiple flashes and bricking can result if done incorrectly.  Your board doesn't have a BIOS switch, which gives you even less control.  There is a thread compiled with the knowledge of many if you want to go that route. 

If you can enter the new BIOS (verify the revision), make changes, save them and confirm they are being retained, then you have no reason to think anything else is wrong except windows.    I'd investigate the options I outlined earlier, before concluding all was lost and reinstalling. 

You should not have any issues should you decide to reinstall the OS.  The only thing I would do is ensure I was making regular back ups of my data and OS moving forward.     

I know this is frustrating, but the issue is software related, not because you or Gigabyte did something wrong.