Official GIGABYTE Forum

Motherboard no longer responding to power switch?

emag37

Motherboard no longer responding to power switch?
« on: July 14, 2017, 12:11:22 am »
Hi everyone,

I have been using a Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H in my rig for a few years now, never had a problem.

One day while booting the PC just shut off, did not respond to the power button on the case or the little one on the motherboard at all.

Figured it was a busted PSU, so I shorted the green pin on the main power connector to ground, lo and behold! It starts up just fine!

So now I soldered a switch between the green and black wires to turn on/off my computer like the old AT machines  ;D

Anyone know of a fix for this sort of thing? Or is a FET just blown somewhere and I'm out of luck? Apart from the power issue everything seems fine with the board...

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
Re: Motherboard no longer responding to power switch?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 04:14:52 am »
Have you tested with a known good PSU?

We all have a different standards when it comes to acceptable levels for use.  I personally don't bother with faulty hardware I have to tinker with. This leads to a room full of "junk".  I've got one of these too :) 

If the power button on my board was broken, but a case switch connected to the header still worked, I might continue to use the board, but not as a primary system.  Under no circumstance would I use a PSU that had been modified, grounded, shorted or jumped to operate. My other system components are too valuable for this.

So you need to decide if keeping the system is practical and does what you need it to.  Then again, failures like these might be the MB telling you "its time".  Cost of troubleshooting and repair, including your own time is generally not worth trying to fix or figure out the "why"?  Up to you though. 
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW

triffid

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 11:08:29 am »
Well said. It's time.
FOR THE LIST OF ULTRA HD BLU-RAY COMPATIBLE MOTHERBOARDS CLICK HERE

My hardware: Aorus Z270X Gaming 8 motherboard + i7 7700 CPU + Pioneer BDR-S11J-BK drive

emag37

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 04:53:47 pm »
Man, you guys are just a barrel of fun  ;D

I don't have another PSU to test with unfortunately, the voltages seem fine though for what it's worth.

Maybe one day I'll be rich enough to replace parts with impunity and have an entire room in place dedicated to the ones that didn't make it. But I'm not there yet :'(

I guess the switch will have to do, thanks anyways.