Official GIGABYTE Forum

WD Sata 3 1TB HDD not available in Windows 7 on GA-790fxta-UD5

akagav

Hello all,

It's been a while since i updated my PC and have recently done so.  I have a GA790fxta-ud5 MB with AMD 965 black edition CPU and 8Gb of RAM.  I also have a 40Gb Intel SSD for the O/S and frequently used programs - this all works fine.

The issue I have is with a new WD1002FAEX 1TB SataIII HDD plugged into the Sata 3 port on the MB.

The drive is found in the Bios, it is found by windows (windows 7 ultimate 64bit) and is showing in the Device manager window as 'working properly', however it is not showing in windows explorer and I am unable to format or write and data to it.

Any ideas?  I have the feeling I'm being dumb and misssing something obvious, but am now at the stage of pulling my hair out..! (whats left of it anyway..)

Thanks in advance.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: WD Sata 3 1TB HDD not available in Windows 7 on GA-790fxta-UD5
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 12:56:14 pm »
Hi,

Have you tried to format the disk through: Control Panell/Administrative Tools/ Disk Management?

If this does not work, move the drive to one of the SATA2 ports and try formatting it before returning it to the SATA3 port.

Until the disk has been formatted it won't show up in Explorer hence the reason that you can't find it there! :(

ATB
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

bofh1971

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 09:27:19 am »
Hi

I think you may want to look at

Control Panel - System and Security - Admistrative Tools - Computer management
and look in Storage/Disk Management,  you might see it in there as it wont' be initialised, normally when you mount a new drive windows will "install" the hardware drivers and ask you what you want to do with it, but if you or the machine missed that part out, you go into computer management to sort it.

The other thing, is, did you install the SATA drivers from the CD or have you checked for updated drivers on the gigabyte site?

Good luck
Gigabyte GA-790FXTA-UD5 (forum prize)
Phenom IIx4 965BE, 8GB Corsair 1333 Ram
2x750gb HDD's Raid0, Palit Geforce GTX570
Windows 7 Ultimate, Acer 24" P256H Monitor, Razer Salmosa Mouse,
Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Keybaord

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 09:02:08 am »
do a right click on my computer> manage > disk management. and assign a letter for your drive. sometimes win7 forgets to do that with new HDD drives.