Official GIGABYTE Forum

questions about GA-880GA-UD3H

haggis

questions about GA-880GA-UD3H
« on: November 24, 2010, 08:51:59 am »
Hi

I'm doing a new build with a GA-880GA-UD3H, I've put everything together and just connected an old LCD monitor using the mobo VGA port. I have my HD5770 installed but no monitor connected to it yet. No O/S installed yet.

Couple of questions:
1. When I do a cold boot all is OK and I've successfully run a few passes of Memtest86+, but if I reboot or do a warm boot it boots OK (1 beep from speaker) but I get no video - it's not that the monitor is not getting a signla, just that it's blank. If I turn the PC off and leave it for a while then I get the mobo splash screen.  Does this signify a problem?

2. When I plug monitors into the HD5770 DVI ports do I need to set something in BIOS to disable the mobo graphics or will the fact nothing will be plugged into any mobo graphics ports effectively disable it? (can't find any answer in mobo manual)

Other components are
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
2 x Kingston 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz HyperX Blu Memory Kit CL9 1.5V Non-ECC Unbuffered
Sapphire HD 5770 1GB GDDR5
Thermaltake Armor A60 Mid Tower Case
Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3
OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W - 80+ & SLI Certified - ATX12V 2.2/ EPS12V
Will be attaching two monitors into the HD5770 DVI ports

Thanks in advance

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: questions about GA-880GA-UD3H
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 09:07:40 am »
It is always best to disable the on-board graphics if you are using an add-on card as it frees up RAM that would otherwise be taken.

In BIOS you need to change the settings under IGX Configuration. You can find this under the M.I.T section or the Advanced BIOS Features. Disable the internal Graphics Mode and then set INIT Display First to PEG. Pages 38 & 46 in your manual. Hard to find as you probably weren't looking for IGX!

Once you have made the changes to BIOS you will need to make sure you have attached a monitor to the 5770.  

You haven't said what revision number your motherboard is or what BIOS version you are running but I would check to see if there is a BIOS update for your board before thinking there was a problem with the hardware.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 09:54:11 am by absic »
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

haggis

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 09:29:07 am »
Thanks for the prompt advice
It was in the act of trying to get into the BIOS screen to see the board/BIOS revision numbers that I found this problem.
In fact I have cold booted this morning and there is no action on the VGA monitor at all, will have to try DVI on the mobo or GPU

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 09:53:56 am »
Hi again,

If you are still having problems after trying to connect the monitor via a different port then I would suggest building the PC outside of the case. Use the box that the motherboard came in so that it doesn't short out.

Remove everything except for the CPU and 1 stick of RAM and connect the monitor to the motherboard and only attach your keyboard. You will also need to attach the power leads and the switch cables from your PC Case before you can start it up but then try and see what happens. If you still get no image on the screen try clearing CMOS (check this thread: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,2286.0.html ) and then try again.

If you look at the bottom left hand edge/corner of the motherboard you will find the Rev no printed there, it is also on the box label.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

haggis

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 11:06:53 am »
OK, will give this a try.
The board is rev 2.1
Thanks

haggis

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 02:16:37 pm »
I have connected a different monitor to the DVI port on the motherboard and still get no display at all, just a black screen.
I changed connection to the GPU DVI port and booted and got display OK, I went into the BIOS and selected "Load Optimised Defaults" just in case one of the few options I'd changed when I successfully had a display yesterday had had an affect.
Then I swapped the monitor back to the Mobo DVI port and booted, still no display
Swapped back to GPU DVI port and managed to get the BIOS revision number from the post screen - F3

I'll take the side panel off and take out the GPU (it's covering the CMOS reset) and try a CMOS reset and check display on mobo DVI.
If no improvement I'll try taking the battery out for 10 mins and try again.
If no improvement I'll try taking the mobo outside the case and starting up as you suggested.

Modified 14:27
Just one thing, my case came with 5 or 6 built-in stand-offs and some screw-in standoffs.  I put the screw-in stand-offs under the right locations for the 9 screw-holes in the mobo but then discovered that the case only came with 8 mobo screws (as specified in handbook), so I simply left the centre stand-off in pace but didn't put a screw in it.  This couldn't be having an unexpected affect?

« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 02:30:31 pm by haggis »

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 02:31:48 pm »
Just to save you a bit of time taking out the GPU just try removing the battery instead if thats easier.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 02:35:51 pm »
Just a quick thought,

You're not trying to connect your monitor via DVI with a D-Sub adaptor are you? The On-board graphics doesn't support this method of connection.

In  BIOS try setting the Onboard VGA output connect as D-SUB/DVI Sets the D-SUB/DVI-D as the graphics display rather than leaving it at AUTO.

Being totally honest, as you are using a 5770 I would not get too hung up over this issue and I would just disable the On-board graphics and go with the 5770 as you're getting an output from that.

haggis

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 02:47:07 pm »
@DarkMantis - GPU was also covering the battery - have just removed it so now might as well go ahead and clear CMOS

@absic - no I'm using a proper DVI cable on this monitor and had a VGA cable on the other one
Had thought about just ignoring this but do feel it's very handy to have a default video capability in case of issues with the GPU at some time, and if there is a hardware issue it might cause other problems later on.

BIOS vsn is F3 - do I need to update this?

update 14:50 - cable details - it's same cable when connected to GPU
Plexus DVI-D Dual Link Flat Panel Replacement Cable (Black) 3m
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 02:51:57 pm by haggis »

haggis

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 03:00:10 pm »
OK, cleared CMOS and started up without GPU, using DVI.
Now getting a display  ;D - have reloaded optimised defaults.
Will turn off and replace GPU and try mobo display again

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2010, 03:06:30 pm »
Yes, I agree about having a back-up video source and I'm pleased it now seems to be working again.

I would bring your BIOS up to date as sometimes, although it isn't mentioned, the updates can address problems with the video.

haggis

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2010, 03:16:46 pm »
well, I've put the GPU back in and now the mobo display is blank again
I will go back to the GPU display and check the setting you mentioned above.
If I can't get the mobo display to work I'll presume it's a conflict with the GPU and install Win7(64) and check everything else works.

Thanks for your advice, been invaluable

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2010, 03:21:09 pm »
If I can't get the mobo display to work I'll presume it's a conflict with the GPU

I was just thinking the same thing and was looking through the manual for your Mobo to see if that is mentioned...... it's not.

I would remove the 5770 and update BIOS using QFlash then after I had completed that procedure I would try again with the 5770 on-board. If still no luck I would disable the On-board graphics and carry on but, I would also contact GTTS and make them aware of the problem.

haggis

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2010, 04:04:53 pm »
Tried setting the Onboard VGA output connect as D-SUB/DVI - no difference
Will think about flashing BIOS, would prefer not to if I don't absolutely need to.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2010, 04:11:12 pm »
OK I understand.

So, as the problem only occurs when you plug in the 5770 it would seem there is a conflict of some sort between the 5770 and on-board graphics chip.

As you are only going to use the 5770 for your graphics output you can safely disable the on-board chip. You know it will workif needed but that you will have to remove the 5770 first.

That way you shouldn't need to update BIOS if you don't want to but it isn't really that difficult to do and it could resolve this problem, although there is no guarantee of that.