Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-890GPA-UD3H sound problem

Mellko

GA-890GPA-UD3H sound problem
« on: November 27, 2010, 11:23:11 am »
Hi

The top part of this JPG shows the full setup of my computer:
http://hem.bredband.net/b222669/dator.JPG
As well here is my DxDiag showing my full setup and current state of my computer:
http://hem.bredband.net/b222669/DxDiag.txt

I am running Windows 7  64bit version.

I have problem with the audio playback from my computer. I am outputting the sound through an optical toslink cable to my receiver Onkyo TX-SR603 which is forwarding it to my 5.1 speaker system.

This is the problem: When playing audio which has a frequency fluctuating bass there is a crackling noise everytime the bass shifts its frequency. The intro of the song "Deadmau5 - Right This Second" lets you hear this cracking noise very well. The "ultimate" bass test flac files from this web site http://sinan.ussakli.net/basstest/ also lets you hear this noise very clearly every time the base changes frequency.

What I have done so far to try to resolve this issue and why I think the problem lies with the GA-890GPA-UD3H:

At first I thought the problem was with my receiver or with my speakers and hence I tried to connect another computer to it to the same optical port on the receiver. I did not hear any cracking noise at all with the other computer when playing the same audio files. I have also used my PS3 as audio playback device through the same port on my receiver playing the same audio files without hearing any cracking noice.

Then I thought maybe that the problem was with the optical output port from my computer so I connected my computer with HDMI to my receiver instead and sent the audio with HDMI to my receiver. However it did not resolve the problem, the exact same crackling sound persists even if I used the HDMI port.

I have also tried changing the output sampling frequency from my computer (48KHz, 96 KHz etc (my receiver is capable of receiving them all)) and that did not help at all.

I have used the audio and chipset software drivers that came along with the motherboard on a CD when I bought it. With those drivers installed you get access to Realtek HD audio configurating settings. With those drivers you can choose "Dolby Digital live" as a sampling frequency. When using "Dolby Digital live" as sampling frequency and sending the audio through optical toslink there is a 1 sec clipping in the sound every 10 seconds (i.e. the sound is muted for 1 sec every 10 sec).

I have also tried a complete reinstall of windows and the motherboard drivers and that did not help either.

I have also tried updating to the latest audio drivers from your web page ( http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3516#dl ) but that did not work. Those newest drivers seem to have removed the Realtek HD audio configurating settings from my control panel though.

Please help me Gigabyte! Is there anything left for me to do that could resolve this problem? Or do I have to buy a stand alone sound card?

Thanks
//Mellko

« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 01:57:47 pm by Mellko »

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: GA-890GPA-UD3H sound problem
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 01:30:11 pm »
Hi there,

Sorry but I don't have a good answer for you as I never use the on-board audio or graphics as I always feel these are the weaker points on motherboards.

You can download and run DPC Latency Checker from here: http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml as this kind of thing can be caused by many factors both hardware and software to see if you are getting latency issues whilst running programmes which is causing the problem.

Are you running the latest BIOS for your motherboard? If not then update to the latest version, using QFlash and see if that helps

If you are overclocking that can also cause severe audio problems, especially if you are using software such as Easy Tune6 or AMD Overdrive.

Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Mellko

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 02:29:00 pm »
Thank you sooo much absic!! You solved the problem for me. I downloaded DPC Latency Checker and I came to the conclusion that it was the EasyTune 6 (GUI.exe in task manager) that caused the cracking sounds.

:D:D:D::D:D:D:D::D

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 02:32:27 pm »
No problem and pleased to have been able to help.

You don't say which revision your motherboard is or what BIOS version you are running but recent BIOS updates have addressed a known noise issue whilst running EasyTune6 and it might be worthwhile updating to the latest BIOS version for you motherboard if you are not already running it.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Mellko

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 03:15:54 pm »
Im such a noob with computers, Im too afraid that I will ruin the motherboard if I would attempt to update the BIOS with QFlash. My DXdiag says  BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG though

I don't know which revision my motherboard has. Im not able to open my computer and check :/. Is the revision stated on the box that the motherboard was originally packed in? I think I have that somewhere.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 03:33:24 pm by Mellko »

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 03:26:22 pm »
I understand and flashing BIOS can seem quite daunting especially if you haven't done it before.

If you can post back with the revision number of your motherboard that would help. If you still have the box the motherboard came in it is printed on the label. You can also find it printed on the motherboard, usually along the bottom left-hand edge. You need this revision number to make sure we get the right BIOS update for your motherboard.

The DXdiag doesn't actually show which BIOS version your motherboard is running. You can see that on the POST screen when you first start your PC, if you have disabled the full screen logo. Or, if you go into BIOS and press the F9 key it will also tell you what BIOS version you are running.

Mellko

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2010, 10:56:53 pm »
I found the box, it says rev 2.0.

Thanks for your help!

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2010, 11:45:16 pm »
You can find the latest FF BIOS update for your revision 2.0 board here:

http://www.giga-byte.co.uk/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3420&dl=1#bios
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 09:56:03 am »
As Dark Mantis says you can get the latest BIOS via the link he has posted.

Once you have downloaded the BIOS file to your computer there are a few steps to go through before you can actually update your BIOS. If you haven't already done so I would suggest you read through this thread: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,2441.0.html then if you have any further questions on how to use QFlash then ask them here.

As I said before I do understand how daunting flashing BIOS can be when you have never done it before but we are here to help make it is painless and easy for you as possible.

Mellko

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 06:44:39 pm »
After mentally preparing for this for 2 months I finally got the BIOS updated :D. It was a success with the help of your good guide. I don't know if Im just imagining it but I think my computer runs a lot better and smoother now with updated BIOS.

Thanks a lot guys!

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011, 06:48:06 pm »
Pleased your BIOS update went well and the first step is always the biggest and most daunting.

Flashing BIOS is not really difficult just so long as you take your time and follow the correct steps.