Official GIGABYTE Forum

880GM-USB3 constantly crashes, reboots and Computer dies out.

srk

880GM-USB3 constantly crashes, reboots and Computer dies out.
« on: December 01, 2010, 06:17:14 am »
I assembled my computer a fortnight ago,

I have installed Windows 7 32 bit in it.
Whenever i tried to start my computer, it went till the windows logo appearance and will crash and restart and this would go on and on.

I unplugged one chassis fan and the keyboard and mouse from the CPU and tried to start, that time just once it went through and i was able to see my desktop, the moment i plug my keyboard and mouse, it would crash and reboot.this happened for some 5 times and after that my computer didnt start at all(whenever i pressed the power button, nothing would happen).

Following are my specs:

motherboard: GA 880GM USB3
hard drive: 500 gb Western digital
Processor: Phenom II SIX X6 - 1055T
RAM: 2x2GB DDR3
graphics: ATI 4670
SMPS:400w 24 pin zebronics

I was following the other thread in this forum and tried to do memtest and it all went fine for 10 passes without errors.
(I tried with individual RAM). I don't have any floppy drive connected.

I replaced the SMPS with a 500W platinum one, and i was able to start my computer, it was able to boot and desktop came up,
I was able to work on word and powerpoint and browse internet. I thought the problem was solved until when i tried to start a game, it crashed and went to square 1. it will reboot and when i start the game it would crash and reboot.This went for 3 times and the computer died out.there is no response when i press the power button.

Any suggestions please. I desperate.
Kindly excuse my english.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 06:20:05 am by srk »

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: 880GM-USB3 constantly crashes, reboots and Computer dies out.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 11:05:55 am »
Hi there,

Sorry to read about your troubles.  :'(

Have you checked that the 500 PSU you tried is still working OK?

If it is then the first thing to do is clear CMOS and return your motherboard to it's default settings.
Remove the Graphic Card and connect your monitor to the On-board video (this will help if it is a power problem)
Check that all of the power leads are connected properly on the motherboard and are pushed firmly into the sockets.
Remove one stick of your RAM and leave the other one in the slot nearest the CPU and then try to start the Computer.
What happens?
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

srk

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 11:48:01 am »
Thanks absic for the suggestion.
But can you please clarify me on these:

How do i check if my PSU is working fine, I tried to unplug and plug the (power leads) in the socket.
but the computer doesnt respond. Is there any other simple way to check if its working fine?

To clear the CMOS , is it ok to just remove that battery and fix it back?

Sorry if these are very basic questions...i am learning.

i shall try your suggestions and get back with the status soon.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 12:53:35 pm »
No problems and no question is basic if you're learning.

If you watch this video from Corsair: http://www.corsair.com/cinema/movie.aspx?id=1358543 it will show you how to do a basic test of your PSU. It works with all PSU's so don't worry that they are talking only about Corsair products.

There is a guide here: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,2286.0.html which explains how to clear CMOS Properly.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

jolphil

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 02:01:45 pm »
Hi,
The provided Corsair link will test for a Dead PSU but it lacks somewhat ..
Antec, makes a PSU tester that provides a light load for all voltages and
in addition provides terminals for a voltmeter if you have one..
It also has LED lites if you do not have a voltmeter.. It works for either 20 pin or 24 pin supplies..
Many stores have them for around 25-35USD..
Other manufactuers may make a similar device but this is what I am familiar with and have used it to troubleshoot
the PSU box many times..To me it's worth the investment.
jolphil

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 02:13:26 pm »
Hi Jolphil,

I agree that the Corsair test is basic but not everybody has money to spend on an item they may only use once.

jannie

• Your Never To Old To Learn
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 07:30:06 pm »
Well I find it good learning when absic,directs you to little videos clips like this one..Yes the guy shows you how to switch the PSU off with the off/on rocker switch. ( well we all know that).But as I was watching the video clip, I glanced down at my off/on switch and noticed it was in the off position.
and yet the compouter was running..Well now , Was this how I have been getting BSOD so many times....I have rma the psu.
Well done absic
2x Cooler Master HAF X full tower
Gigabyte GA-890XA-UD3 AMD 790X AM3 Motherboard
AMD CPU Phenom II 1090Tx6
Corsair Memory XMS3 Classic 8GB DDR3 PC3-10666 (1333)
Corsair HX 850 W  (PSU)
Noctua NH-U12P-SE2 CPU Cooler
1GB Gigabyte NVIDIA GTX 460 OC Graphic

srk

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 07:30:25 am »
Thanks for the links,
I tried them and confirmed that my SMPS is not working.

Before proceeding,
I have sent it for fixing, and expecting to get it back by tomorrow evening.

until then can you please clarify me on these:

1) which SMPS (how much watts)  is ideal for my config,
2) There was too much heat generated, even if i simple surf for 15 mins.Is this normal or should i do something about this?
3)say if the PSU is 600 watts, does it mean that, the electiricty consumed while attaching only a small chassis fan is equalent to power consumed when a compputer is fully operating?

Christoph

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 08:37:44 am »
you should be ok with an 550 or 600 watts

the computer only utilize the watts that it needs in the moment, I mean that it will suck more watts when you run a game and consume way less when you are just surfing the net.

but the thing here is that you need a PSU that can provide at least 38 amps on the +12v rail, cuz the PSUs won't give you the power that says the label on them, you have to look for something good and that can actually gives you the power it says

you have to check the specifications to see what power you're getting out of it, just multiply 12v x the amps given on the +12v rail

lets say

12v x 38 amps = 456 watts coming out from the 12v rail that feeds the videocard

so may find some  PSU that is rated 500 watts that is actually giving you those numbers out of the 12v...

RamPage

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2010, 01:57:38 am »
Hi SRK
 What case do u have the motherboard in ?
MB-GA 880-GA-UD3H : CPU-AM3 PhII 555 BE :
Heat sink : CM Hyper 212+ : PSU- Corsair TX650W
Memory-G Skill DDR3 1600 : HD-WD 500 gig 32mb SATA 3
 (5000-7500 RPM Green)
Case-CM HAF 922 (Needs Bigger Heat sink Access Hole for AM3 CPU Heat sink, Ill cut/mod the motherboard tray myself. Thank You CM

srk

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2010, 05:42:46 am »
do you mean the cabinet??

its a mini "pluto" series.

http://www.supremecomputers.in/ProductDetails.asp?RefID=1332

srk

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2010, 05:14:54 am »
I tried with a single RAM, no graphic card,
and the computer seems to work fine..but when i put the other RAM and the graphic card...the crash happens....

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2010, 09:00:27 am »
Hi again,

When you say the PC crashed after you added a 2nd stick of RAM and the Graphic card did you add both of these at the same time?
If you did then it would be better to try adding the 2nd stick of RAM with out adding the Graphics card so you can try and discover if it is the RAM causing the problem or the Graphics Card.

If the PC seems OK with the two sticks of RAM try adding the Graphics Card again if you then start having problems you will have a better idea of where to look for solutions.

srk

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2010, 09:38:57 am »
i tried them separately.

when i added 2 sticks of RAM without the graphic card, the system works fine,

when i added the graphic card it was working fine until i started some game and it crashed.
i have connected the monitor to the output socket from the graphic card.
if the card is faulty , i believe the display shouldn't have come in first place.is this right?

its quite a relief i am able to work without crash trouble with just a stick of RAM and without graphic card unlike it was completely dead and useless.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2010, 10:09:26 am »
The fact that your PC works without the Graphics Card but is crashing when you try to use it for anything more than just the basics would suggest that the problem lies there.

This could be due to a lack of power, the drivers or the way your system is configured. I would tend to think that, as it actually starts up and is only crashing when you try to play a game that the problem is more to do with your power supply than anything else. When you play a game the Graphics card will draw more power and if there isn't enough the system will crash.

When you are trying to use the Graphics Card do you disable the On-Board Graphics Chip?
In BIOS, have you disabled the features that you do not use? On my system I have disabled things like Floppy Support, e-SATA, Serial Port & Parallel Port as this can help save a little power.