Official GIGABYTE Forum

Installed a new 460 GTX and now my computer will not even start! Ouch and Help!

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Hi Soar,

well all I can say is you like to make things hard for yourself, don't you?

If you have all of these spare PSU's laying around why not use one of those? If the system fires up you know that the current PSU has failed, if it doesn't then you know that you have to look elsewhere!!

As for a POST card they are really only any good if you can actually get power to your motherboard, something that you ain't getting at the moment!

But I am not sure if 650w is enough for my rig
I'm only using a 625 Watt Corsair PSU in my rig and it works fine!
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
I think that Soar really lives in a warehouse! He must do for all the gear he has in stock...more than most retailers :o
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Hi Soar,

If you have all of these spare PSU's laying around why not use one of those? If the system fires up you know that the current PSU has failed, if it doesn't then you know that you have to look elsewhere!!

As for a POST card they are really only any good if you can actually get power to your motherboard, something that you ain't getting at the moment!

Absic,

I like your idea.  I think I will try it tonight.  Are sure 650 watts is sufficient?

Soar
AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
Corsair Vengeance 1600 16GB
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
CM HAF X Blue

Both Systems:

Windows 7+10
Scythe Temp Monitor + Fan Controller

I think that Soar really lives in a warehouse! He must do for all the gear he has in stock...more than most retailers :o

No, I live in a TeePee made of buffalo skins and mostly we have crickets, bugs, mesquitos and snakes.  No hardware or software here at all!

Ok, back to reality...yes, I do have lots of components laying around the house.  But I am making progess in organizing and distributing all the times now.

Soar
AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
CM HAF X Blue

Both Systems:

Windows 7+10

Hi Soar,

Absic,

I like your idea.  I think I will try it tonight.  Are sure 650 watts is sufficient?

Soar

Also, is there a possibility of me frying the new power supply if something is wrong with the MB or GPU?

Soar

SPECIAL UPDATE: I tried the power supply test shown on the Utube video, and the PSU works just fine.  The PSU powered up, the PSU fan kicked on, one 12 volt system fan I had plugged in also spun fine and the green light on the PSU lit up for the first time since the system died.

Now, only a small load was applied [all components were unplugged except the 12 volt system fan], so I am not sure how much of a test this really was.

PS I also tried plugging in the GPU in the lower GPU slot to see if I had toasted the 1st GPU slot, but still nothing fired up or powered on.

Ok, what next?  Anyone have any ideas?

Soar
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 03:57:33 am by soarwitheagles »
AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
CM HAF X Blue

Both Systems:

Windows 7+10

absic

• Bandcamp
Hi Soar,

If you want my honest, technical opinion then your PC is buggered! OK, so what can you do now?

The best advice I can offer is that you completely strip your system down removing everything from the motherboard including CPU.
Remove the motherboard from the PC Case and give it a thorough inspection to see if there are any noticeable signs of damage.
If everything seems to be OK then connect the power leads to the motherboard, the power connector from the PC Case and also the power LED. Do not add anything else, as all we want to know is does the motherboard have power running through it.

If you turn on the power does the LED light up? If not try turning the connector round and see if the LED Lights up. If no light your motherboard is probably dead and you will need to RMA it for repair.

If you can get the LED to light up then turn off the power, add a motherboard speaker, the CPU and the stock cooler to the motherboard and try to start it again. What POST Beeps do you get, if any?
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Hi Soar,

If you want my honest, technical opinion then your PC is buggered! OK, so what can you do now?

The best advice I can offer is that you completely strip your system down removing everything from the motherboard including CPU.
Remove the motherboard from the PC Case and give it a thorough inspection to see if there are any noticeable signs of damage.
If everything seems to be OK then connect the power leads to the motherboard, the power connector from the PC Case and also the power LED. Do not add anything else, as all we want to know is does the motherboard have power running through it.

If you turn on the power does the LED light up? If not try turning the connector round and see if the LED Lights up. If no light your motherboard is probably dead and you will need to RMA it for repair.

If you can get the LED to light up then turn off the power, add a motherboard speaker, the CPU and the stock cooler to the motherboard and try to start it again. What POST Beeps do you get, if any?

Abssic,

Thank you for your reply and your honest, technical opinion!  But, what is "buggered?"  I have never heard the term before.  It must be British.

Ok, I did exactly as you said, and no LED's at all.  I think this 890XA-UD3 v.1 has given up the ghost [as in R.I.P]!  To be honest with you, I really feel like taking a hammer to it and crushing and beating it into one or two thousand pieces...but then I suppose Gigabyte would probably not accept my RMA.

So, perhaps the 20 second rampage is not worth the $139 these MB's are now selling for [$7 per second].  Unfortunately, I cannot even kick the darn thing!  AUUUUUUGGGHHHHHHH!  Ok, I feel a little better now that I yelled so loud.  But my neighbors are wondering if they should call the police or the psychiatric ward with all the yelling and shouting at our house tonight!  Perhaps they should call both and include a computer geek while they are at it!

Needless to say, I do have three very important questions:

1. Is it possible the new Galaxy GTX 460 caused the MB to die [remember, everything worked flawlessly prior to my plugging the new card into the MB]?

2. If the Galaxy GTX 460 did kill my MB, how can I know for sure [is there some way I can test the GPU]?

3. Is it possible this Galaxy GTX 460 would kill another MB if I plugged it in?

Ok, it is me,

A very, very, very sad Soar who is out of a Gigabyte motherboard and main rig for at least the next 2 RMA weeks.

Boo Hoo!
 :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 05:31:15 am by soarwitheagles »
AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
CM HAF X Blue

Both Systems:

Windows 7+10

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
Ah, trouble in paradise :o Looks like the light side failed 8)

I am not saying that the problem was due to the graphics card but purely numerically there do seem to have been an awful lot of 460s recently that have troubles. :o

Me, I will stick to AMD series graphics cards.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

absic

• Bandcamp
Hi Soar,

Buggered, when used in this context, is a rather coarse English term for when something is broken .
Originally it referred to the act of homosexual anal intercourse and was a criminal offence in the UK until the late 1960's. There you go, you have learnt something new today that I bet you hadn't even considered learning.

I have to say that you have achieved something that I have never done in managing to blow a motherboard, nice one, if that is what you have actually done  :o !!

Without knowing exactly what happened and what you did, it is hard to say why this has occurred. As the only thing you seem to have done is add the 460 then the finger of suspicion must point to that being faulty and creating the problem and if I were you, I would be looking to RMA both the motherboard and the graphics card. The reason I say this is because you don't have the necessary equipment to do any proper testing and just sticking the 460 into another motherboard could, potentially, create further problems for you.

Another thing to consider is, has there been any damage to your other components as you could well have fried your RAM and CPU along the way.

When you examined the motherboard did you notice any damage? Did the GPU socket on the motherboard have any scorch marks? Does the back of the motherboard look OK?

Hi Soar,

Buggered, when used in this context, is a rather coarse English term for when something is broken .
Originally it referred to the act of homosexual anal intercourse and was a criminal offence in the UK until the late 1960's. There you go, you have learnt something new today that I bet you hadn't even considered learning.

I have to say that you have achieved something that I have never done in managing to blow a motherboard, nice one, if that is what you have actually done  :o !!

Without knowing exactly what happened and what you did, it is hard to say why this has occurred. As the only thing you seem to have done is add the 460 then the finger of suspicion must point to that being faulty and creating the problem and if I were you, I would be looking to RMA both the motherboard and the graphics card. The reason I say this is because you don't have the necessary equipment to do any proper testing and just sticking the 460 into another motherboard could, potentially, create further problems for you.

Another thing to consider is, has there been any damage to your other components as you could well have fried your RAM and CPU along the way.

When you examined the motherboard did you notice any damage? Did the GPU socket on the motherboard have any scorch marks? Does the back of the motherboard look OK?

Thanks for the definition of the word "Buggered."  I think it should still be a criminal offense...esp. when it refers to my nice conservation computer breaking down!

Changes on the motherboard:

1. Not sure if it is a change, but I did notice the Northbridge Heat Sink rocks back and forth fairly easily [not in accord with Absic's music, but if you physically move it gently with your fingers].
2. I did discover a slight discoloration/irregularity on the backside of the MB directly under a spot 1 centimeter away from the edge of the PCI1 and PCI2 slots [on the SATA [port side].

Other than these two things, I can't see anything else.

BTW-I did hook up the XFX PSU.  At first try, the PSU fan came on two times.  After that, it would not work too.

Ok, does anyone know exactly how and what PCI-E PSU plugs I was to use on this GTX 460?  There are two sets of six-pin PCI-E sockets in the GTX 460 card.  I simply plugged in [i.e buggered] two sets of male PCI-E plugs, two male plugs into two female receptacles [sounds like an orgy].  Did I do something wrong here?

Is there a different way to power up the GTX 460?  The diagram on the instructions were a bit strange.  It appeared as if on of the plugs should be a little different than the other!

This sure is looking more and more confusing.  The diagram shows two very different PCI-E plugs:

One plug is an 8 prong plug [what is that]?
The other plug is a 6 prong plug with the top center wire missing [what is that]?
The card obviously only receives two 6-pin male plugs

Ok, hoping to find some answers...

Soar
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 08:10:31 pm by soarwitheagles »
AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
CM HAF X Blue

Both Systems:

Windows 7+10

Ah, trouble in paradise :o Looks like the light side failed 8)

I am not saying that the problem was due to the graphics card but purely numerically there do seem to have been an awful lot of 460s recently that have troubles. :o

Me, I will stick to AMD series graphics cards.

Now, now DM.  That's not very encouraging! And we all know Nvidia is much better than ATI any day of the week!

Well, on to other topics...can you help me understand the discrepancy between the above listed diagram and my card?

I think the artist needs to listen more to Absic's beautiful music before he attempts to draw an accurate picture of the card and plugs!

Soar

PS Any suggestions my dear friend?  I really feel buggered right now!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 08:14:54 pm by soarwitheagles »
AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
CM HAF X Blue

Both Systems:

Windows 7+10

absic

• Bandcamp
Now, now DM.  That's not very encouraging! And we all know Nvidia is much better than ATI any day of the week!

That's why DM has a perfectly working PC and you don't!!!!

absic

• Bandcamp
OK Soar,

looking at the photograph of your graphic card's power connectors, you need as you stated, two 6 pin PCI-E power connectors. If you are using the right connectors they should only be able to fit in one way so you shouldn't be able to plug them in incorrectly.

The little diagram shows a 6 pin PCI-E power connector and an 8 pin PCI-E power connector. My 4850X2 use one 8 pin and one 6 pin connector and I would think it is just an old image that they have used.

Now, now DM.  That's not very encouraging! And we all know Nvidia is much better than ATI any day of the week!

That's also why I have a perfectly working PC and you don't!!!!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 08:26:51 pm by absic »

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
Well Soar nVidia may hold the power medal at the moment but only by a little and when you take the extra noise and heat into connsideration I will happily make do with second place. ;)

As absic has already pointed out the diagram is not correct and you must just connect whatever plugs fit. It is not possible to fit them wrongly.

It is a pain in the arse for sure!
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

OK Soar,

looking at the photograph of your graphic card's power connectors, you need as you stated, two 6 pin PCI-E power connectors. If you are using the right connectors they should only be able to fit in one way so you shouldn't be able to plug them in incorrectly.

The little diagram shows a 6 pin PCI-E power connector and an 8 pin PCI-E power connector. My 4850X2 use one 8 pin and one 6 pin connector and I would think it is just an old image that they have used.

That's also why I have a perfectly working PC and you don't!!!!

Why are they showing the 2nd PCI-E plug with the top center wire removed? 
Also, why would they clearly indicate to NOT use a full 6 wired plug? 
What is that top center wire in the 6 wire PCI-E plug that is removed and why would they suggest to have it removed?

Soar
AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold