Official GIGABYTE Forum

Win7 can't boot into 32-bit version if two SATA drives connected

WAWood8

Win7 can't boot into 32-bit version if two SATA drives connected
« on: February 07, 2011, 03:13:16 pm »
Am experimenting with switching over from a Win7 32-bit Pro install to a Win7 64-bit Pro install.

So, hooked up SATA3 drive, installed Win7 Pro 64-bit. Stuck in Gigabyte CD, installed all the drivers.

Win7 64-bit Pro boots fine.

Restarted the machine.  Win7 32-bit Pro boots into Win7, but a few seconds later, screens go dark!

Shutdown PC.  Disconnected the 64-bit drive.  Rebooted into Win7 32-bit Pro.

Fine now!

Shutdown PC, reconnected 64-bit pro HD. Reboots into it fine, even with 32-bit Pro hd still connected.

But ... can not boot into Win7 Pro 32-bit as long as the 64-bit Pro HD is connected.

Motherboard is GA-890GPA-UD3H rev 2.0

Is this a known problem with this motherboard?  I'm asking because I read a thread where someone changed their Onchip SATA Port 4/5 setting from IDE to AS and it solved a problem they had.

BTW, I'm NOT going to be running BOTH 32-bit and 64-bit for long.  Just doing it for now to get the apps and settings loaded onto the 64-bit install.  Once that is done, I'm going to disconnect the 32-bit drive, erase it, and use it for data files.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 03:17:21 pm by WAWood8 »

Tiger

Re: Win7 can't boot into 32-bit version if two SATA drives connected
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 08:26:54 pm »
Win7 32-bit Pro boots into Win7, but a few seconds later, screens go dark. <--- Is this the same motherboard the the LAN doesn't work on? (from previous question you posted)

You can install Windows on two different hard drives and select from the BIOS which one to boot from. You can also install Windows 64-bit  in AHCI mode and hot-plug your old drive in. It seems to me you problem is with both drives connected, you Stuck in Gigabyte CD, installed all the drivers without knowing where they where being installed. Thus, your LAN doesn't work and you have a dark-screen.
1) GA-Z97X-Gaming 7, G3258,
2) GA-990FXA-UD3 Rev. 1.1, FX-8350
3) GA-AM1M-S2P, Sempron 3850 Kabini

WAWood8

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 03:18:53 am »
No, I only had one drive connected when I installed the drivers from the Gigabyte CD.  So, there's no way it installed drivers to the "wrong" drive.

Also, NO I can NOT simply select the drive from the BIOS because, as I already said, if BOTH drives are connected to the motherboard, booting into the 32-bit Win7 version crashes after the desktop loads.  I have to physically disconnect the 32-bit drive from the motherboard.  Thought I had already explained that.

Funny, when I was using the ASUS board, I had two different drives, each running its own OS, and the system worked perfectly!

Speaking of the LAN problem, I had to "solve" that by replacing the onboard LAN with a plugin card.  Don't have a similar option with this can't-have-two-SATA-drives-connected problem.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 03:30:51 am by WAWood8 »

F5BJR

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 04:23:08 am »
Have you installed WIN7 32 with the other disk with 64bits version disconnected ( i think YES ) ?

I have found a similar and stupid problem some days ( i think with a virus logged in the MBR in the second disk )

When i plug the disk ( eSData or also with connected to USB with an eSata to USB adapter ) computer reboot
Also as you i cannot boot with the second disk connected with computer with WINXP
Same problem with computer with WIN7 64 bits
Also i cannot repair the disk with WINXP / CD ( XP installed before in te faulty disk )

The faulty disk connected to others computers and problem is the same ( computer reboot when i plug the disk )  !!

I have found after many time the solution for restore the important files with an old computer with WIN98 ( cannot find NTFS partition )
Removing with fdisk WIN98  the NTFS partition
I unplug the disk and i can connect to my normal computer ( no propblem because cannot see the old NTFS partitin )
I use after testdisk-6.11.3 without the partition revalided for restore important files ( testdisk-6.11.3 can find all folders / files and save )

Hard job but my friend is very happy !!

Before i have never see similar problem

Pierre

* After i have reinstalled the OS and disk run fine

* I have not see with testdisk autorun or exe virus placed in the root disk that is why i think that is a MBR problem
but sure that Microsoft Essentials Antivirus has detected some virus when i have restored files   !!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 04:38:28 am by F5BJR »
GA-X58A-UD5 I7 930
6x2Go KINGSTON 9905403-084
ENERMAX Modu 82+
Sharkoon REBEL12
2*HD5770SingleSlot+PCI-HD4350
2xSENSY 26'
2xBOX 5HD HotPlug
3xBOX 34HD MaxinPower
2x AD4SR5HPMU Addonics 8x1ToWDGreen 
4x 1TO RAID10 ICH10+1 BACKUP OS
2 * RR622 HighPoint
Sata 88SX7042  
AverMedia H727

WAWood8

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 01:16:48 pm »
I installed each OS with only that drive connected.

There is no virus on the 32-bit volume.  I regularly run malware and virus scans and it comes up clean.

This problem is serious!  I need other SATA drives connected.  I can't keep manually plugging and unplugging drives ever time I boot the PC.

F5BJR

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 03:10:19 pm »
Questions :

1 - Your problem is only with the WIN64 disk or also with another disks or disk without OS ?

2 - Have your tested after exchange sata port (  by exemple first to AMD , the second to the GibaByte port JMicron ) ?

3 - How you change OS ( i think key F12 at BIOS startup ) ?

4 - Have you tested to install last drivers for Windows 7 32 bits  ?
     -> for AMD : www.station-drivers.com/page/atidriv.htm
          I think last is 1.2.001.275

-> for Gigabyte / JMicron drivers last is 1.17.59.0
         http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3420&dl=1#driver

5 - Can you look your BIOS --> last version is FF ?
        http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3420&dl=1#bios

Because your OS in 64 bits run correctly , i think that is a driver problem

Pierre

GA-X58A-UD5 I7 930
ENERMAX Modu 82+
Sharkoon REBEL12
2xSENSY 26'
2xBOX 5HD HotPlug
3xBOX 34HD MaxinPower
2 * RR622 HighPoint
Sata 88SX7042  
AverMedia H727

WAWood8

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 03:55:41 pm »
Questions :

1 - Your problem is only with the WIN64 disk or also with another disks or disk without OS ?
Problem is actually with the Win32 install.  They're on separate drives.  The win64 install works fine with BOTH SATA drives connected.  The Win32 install crashes shortly after the desktop appears if both SATA drives are connected.  If I disconnect the 64-bit drive and THEN boot into Win7 32-bit, it works fine.

2 - Have your tested after exchange sata port (  by exemple first to AMD , the second to the GibaByte port JMicron ) ?
Sorry, don't understand the question.  This motherboard has 8 SATA ports, arranged in a row of 4 double-port jacks on the side.  I have both SATA drives plugged into those ports.  I believe that two of those ports are GSATA -- and I'm not using those.

3 - How you change OS ( i think key F12 at BIOS startup ) ?
The HARD way -- since each drive is bootable on its own, I change the boot order in the BIOS to move the drive I want to the top of the list.

4 - Have you tested to install last drivers for Windows 7 32 bits  ?
     -> for AMD : www.station-drivers.com/page/atidriv.htm
          I think last is 1.2.001.275
The link here sends me to a page in French -- but the drivers are dated 2002 -- which is hardly current.  I installed the drivers from the Gigabyte CD, and after that, downloaded the latest drivers from their website and updated each driver using the downloaded version.  So, as far as I know, I'm using the latest drivers from their website.

-> for Gigabyte / JMicron drivers last is 1.17.59.0
         http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3420&dl=1#driver

Again, don't know what you mean by these drivers.
- Can you look your BIOS --> last version is FF ?
        http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3420&dl=1#bios
No, I'm running the original BIOS (FA, I think). Have not attempted BIOS update yet.

Because your OS in 64 bits run correctly , i think that is a driver problem
Maybe you're right -- but that would imply it's a SATA controller driver, and that makes me guess that Windows is crashing shortly after launch because it's scanning the hardware, building a list of "drives" -- and THAT is when it fails.

So, you're saying I need updated SATA drivers for the Win7 32-bit install?

I tried changing the SATA settings in the BIOS, from IDE to AHCI, but then, neither Win7 OS would boot beyound the initial splash scree

F5BJR

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 04:12:15 pm »
I tried changing the SATA settings in the BIOS, from IDE to AHCI, but then, neither Win7 OS would boot beyound the initial splash screen
Normal because you have not drivers installed for the AHCI mode

Solution :

1 - move disk to Gsata port ( JMicron if you use AMD )
2 - start BIOS and tag AMD in AHCI mode not modify JMicron mode
3 - start OS ( search new driver ) when finish stop your computer
4 - reconnect your disk to the AMD port used in 1
    Restart computer with only one disk
   I  think OS start at this time because AHCI driver is installed
   test after hotplug the WIN64 disk

5 - If not reboot at this time the driver problem is solved  

Pierre

* You can make similar driver installation for mode updated ( IDE / AHCI / RAID ) wit all ports if OS run good in the last mode

* I use frequently this method with SATA or IDE add-on cards ( Silicon Image , Adaptec , Marvell , HighPoint , ... ) for running with only the same OS disk !!

« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 04:24:33 pm by F5BJR »
GA-X58A-UD5 I7 930
ENERMAX Modu 82+
Sharkoon REBEL12
2xSENSY 26'
2xBOX 5HD HotPlug
3xBOX 34HD MaxinPower
2 * RR622 HighPoint
Sata 88SX7042  
AverMedia H727

F5BJR

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 04:20:02 pm »
For your Sata ports i think

Sata AMD use ports 0, 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 & 5 color blue

JMicron ports are 6 &r 7 color white

Pierre

GA-X58A-UD5 I7 930
ENERMAX Modu 82+
Sharkoon REBEL12
2xSENSY 26'
2xBOX 5HD HotPlug
3xBOX 34HD MaxinPower
2 * RR622 HighPoint
Sata 88SX7042  
AverMedia H727

WAWood8

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 09:17:46 pm »
Normal because you have not drivers installed for the AHCI mode
Yeah ,  figured that out after I did some Googling and discovered that the AHCI drivers need to be installed first.

Solution :

1 - move disk to Gsata port ( JMicron if you use AMD )
2 - start BIOS and tag AMD in AHCI mode not modify JMicron mode
3 - start OS ( search new driver ) when finish stop your computer
This will allow me to boot from the GSATA port while then installing AHCI drivers for the other SATA ports, right?
4 - reconnect your disk to the AMD port used in 1
    Restart computer with only one disk
   I  think OS start at this time because AHCI driver is installed
   test after hotplug the WIN64 disk
You're saying connect the Win64 driver AFTER booting into the 32-bit Win7, right?

5 - If not reboot at this time the driver problem is solved  

Pierre

* You can make similar driver installation for mode updated ( IDE / AHCI / RAID ) wit all ports if OS run good in the last mode

* I use frequently this method with SATA or IDE add-on cards ( Silicon Image , Adaptec , Marvell , HighPoint , ... ) for running with only the same OS disk !!
Thanks very much for spending the time to provide such detailed help.  Really.

F5BJR

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 09:40:18 pm »
--> This will allow me to boot from the GSATA port while then installing AHCI drivers for the other SATA ports, right?

YES .. after no problem you have 2 * drivers OK for each ports !!

--> You're saying connect the " Win64 disk"  not " WIN64 driver " AFTER booting into the 32-bit Win7, right?

I think text error

YES

If all is good you can connect the WIN 64 OS disk with the 32 bits OS running in AHCI mode

Pierre

« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 09:42:25 pm by F5BJR »
GA-X58A-UD5 I7 930
ENERMAX Modu 82+
Sharkoon REBEL12
2xSENSY 26'
2xBOX 5HD HotPlug
3xBOX 34HD MaxinPower
2 * RR622 HighPoint
Sata 88SX7042  
AverMedia H727

WAWood8

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 02:19:35 pm »
Pierre:

Thanks very much for all your expert help.  I'll try to find some time tonight to try out your suggestions.

It will be tomorrow sometime before I can get back with the results.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 03:58:28 pm »
Hi,

just to jump in here.
You have three threads running due to different problems with this motherboard all of which could be related to the BIOS. Have you done as previously recommended and updated to the latest BIOS version for your motherboard?

The information for BIOS updates doesn't always cover all of the problems that have been addressed and whilst it may not solve the issues you are having updating to the latest version will help in understanding where the issues are coming from. If you find that updating the BIOS doesn't help you can always flash BIOS back to an earlier version if you are happier with it.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

WAWood8

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011, 07:28:15 pm »
You have three threads running due to different problems with this motherboard all of which could be related to the BIOS. Have you done as previously recommended and updated to the latest BIOS version for your motherboard?

No, I haven't had the time to do anything to the system.  I'll try to get some things done tonight.

WAWood8

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2011, 02:49:14 am »
Pierre:

You're a lifesaver!!

Your suggestions worked. I changed the cable connection, the BIOS settings, and one-by one, booted into each Win7 OS.

Each one installed the drivers and required a reboot.

Then, after I had the drivers installed in BOTH OS's, I switch the cables back, left BOTH drives hooked up, rebooted into Win7 32-bit, and held my breath.

The anticipated crash did not happen!

In fact, it install drivers again, and after another reboot, found all the partitions on the other drive!

Did the same thing booting into the 64-bit version with both drives attached, and the same thing happened.

So now, one of my major problems is solved -- thanks to you!!