Official GIGABYTE Forum

870a new build - ram issue?

870a new build - ram issue?
« on: February 16, 2011, 02:02:20 pm »
Hi
This is a query I've posted elsewhere. I've brought it here to ask some mobo specific questions.
Many thanks for your time.

Is the Kingston HyperX Blu RAM compatible with the mobo?
If not, does it need settings changed in the BIOS or is it just no good.

Should the PC be making any POST beeps? I was told by one person that if RAM was not detected then it would not beep at all.

Is it the case that if it is not beeping or POSTing, then it can only be due to the mobo or the RAM

If the RAM is compatible then I think I'd better RMA the motherboard.
Originally posted by synnr01
Hi, I'd be very grateful to receive some advice on my new PC build.
All the components arrived today and I have assembled them.

Coolermaster GX 650W PSU    
AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition 3.2GHz Socket AM3   
Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 870 Socket AM3
Kingston 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz HyperX Blu
Asus HD 6850 1GB   

Basically, I'm getting no input to the monitor. When I power on the PC, all the fans start spinning and it makes some promising noises, but no display.
The monitor works when I plug it into my laptop.
I have tried the following:
both PCIE slots
both GPU DVI sockets
disconnecting HHDs, IDE, RAM.
Using just one RAM and experimenting with different slots/sticks
Clearing the CMOS

The GPU is seated securely, with two 6pin power connectors.
The mobo has both power connectors.

There are no beeps at any point upon powering on, not with the RAM, not without.
Additionally, and of unknown significance, the IDE CD drive does not power on when the IDE is connected to the mobo, but when it is not connected it seems to have power and the tray will open.

Help or advice would be nice - I can't think of anything else to try!
Originally posted by synnr01
I've experimented some more. I removed the components and have just the mobo, psu, ram, gfx, cpu connected, out of the case, on cardboard.
No change, fans go but does not display anything.
I attached the case speaker connector to the mobo and I'm not getting any kind of beep. I even without ram and without gfx but nothing either way.
These are all brand new parts, but it must be one of them, right?
Thanks

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: 870a new build - ram issue?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 02:46:46 pm »
Hi there,

Let's answer the easy question first. If you do not have any RAM installed on the motherboard or if the RAM is faulty you should still hear a POST beep. Check that your motherboard speaker is attached correctly as sometimes they don't work if you have the polarity reversed.

If possible try a lower spec'd graphic card as you may need to update to a newer BIOS for the 6850 to work correctly.

Without the model number for your RAM Modules I can't say if they are supported or not but the 1600MHz RAM you have is probably trying to default to 1333 MHz and 1.5V instead of the 1.65V it requires. This shouldn't stop it from working though and unless you can get into BIOS you can't alter these settings anyway.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 10:44:17 am »
Its definitely not beeping.
"If possible try a lower spec'd graphic card as you may need to update to a newer BIOS for the 6850 to work correctly."
It would surely not display NOTHING even if this was the case? I don't have another work gfx, unfortunately.
Ram is khk1600c9ad3b1k2/4g
Thanks

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 11:10:25 am »
having checked through the QVL for all three revisions of your motherboard the RAM you have chosen does not appear so Gigabyte haven't actually tested it.  Check here: http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/download-center.aspx?kw=GA-870A-UD3 you will need to choose your particular motherboard's revision number.

Also, it doesn't show up as  a supported model on the Kingston website for your motherboard. Check here: http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator_new/modelsinfo.asp?SysID=63724&mfr=Gigabyte&model=GA&search_type=&root=us&LinkBack=http://www.kingston.com&Sys=63724-Gigabyte-GA-870A-UD3+Motherboard&distributor=0&submit1=Search

The reason I suggested trying a different GFX was to try and eliminate that as a possible cause of your problem.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 01:34:24 pm »
If the ram is not supported, would the board not beep to signify a problem?

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 01:38:08 pm »
It should do. My best advice here would be to RMA the motherboard to have it checked out as you should really be getting some beeps from it and you aren't.

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 01:49:28 pm »
I plan to. Thanks for your help.