Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-MA770-UD3 - bios update increased temp of 550 BE

Merlin

GA-MA770-UD3 - bios update increased temp of 550 BE
« on: September 04, 2009, 01:55:39 am »
Hi. I just recently built a new pc with the GA-MA770-UD3 rev 2.0 and Phenom II x2 550 BE. Out of the box, the original
factory flashed bios version 'FA' was showing me nice CPU temperatures of 36C to 39C idle. Today, I flashed to the latest
version 'FBd' because I wanted the EC firmware added, but it doesn't have the hybrid function. But my cpu temp went up
to between 45C and 48C idle as I noted in bios and easytune 6. Then I flashed to a previous bios version 'FB' which I still
have as my current bios, and it has the hybrid. This is so I can try and unlock the extra cores. The cpu temp remains higher,
currently at a consistent 45C. Why is this? EC firmware have anything to do with it? Or was the original bios 'FA' inaccurately
calibrated and showing me lower temp than I actually had? The system temp has interestingly remained the same for all bios
versions, at 33C.

If I find that I cannot unlock the 550, and if the first bios was in fact accurate, it would make sense for me to flash back to that
one wouldn't it? Unless there's any other good reason to stay with this version?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 02:11:51 am by Merlin »

Merlin

Re: GA-MA770-UD3 - bios update increased temp of 550 BE
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 02:37:57 am »
Just to add, core temp and sisoft sandra both report cpu temp of 31 to 33C at idle, but bios and easytune report mid 40's,
so could the real cpu temp please stand up. Lol, I wish I knew what is going on with temp readings.

Pottypete

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 07:10:52 am »
Hi,
Yes if you can't unlock the other cores revert back,
These bios are optimised for unlocking I beleive,
Regards

Merlin

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 12:36:53 pm »
Thanks for the reply. Are you saying that the optimised bios runs my cpu hotter and that the original bios wasn't showing a
wrong lower temperature, ie calibrated correctly, and that my cpu was actually cooler?

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 09:01:19 pm »
Thanks for the reply. Are you saying that the optimised bios runs my cpu hotter and that the original bios wasn't showing a
wrong lower temperature, ie calibrated correctly, and that my cpu was actually cooler?

Well it can only be one of the two things, either one of the BIOSes is reporting the temperatures wrong, or your CPU really is running hotter with the new BIOS. 

Are your CPU voltages still the same as reported by whatever program you are using? (you can try hwmonitor from www.cpuid.com if your app is not giving you your vcore).

Also which CPU temp are you looking at, the one reported directly by the CPU (CPU diode, should be one temp. for each core), or the one reported by the ITE chip (should be only one temp)?  Once I unlocked my x3 720 the CPU diode sensors all started reporting 0 C but the ITE chip still works just fine.

Merlin

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 04:28:30 am »
My cpu voltage hasn't changed, always been 1.344v.

Well tbh, I'm pretty confused about temp readouts so perhaps you can help me on that. I'm posting several screenshots. I've got several temp monitor apps.

Easytune reads my cpu temp as 46C. Bios says my cpu temp is 46C. Everest shows 46C as motherboard temp. HWMonitor reads core temp as 31C as cpu 0 and cpu 1, as does sisoft sandra too. HW Monitor shows all those and more.

What is the difference between TMPIN0 and Core#0 and Core#1? Is TMPIN0 the motherboard?

TMPIN2 is showing 79C, and speed fan and sisoft sandra both report a temp of 79C. Everest says CPU 79C. I  did a stress test with orthos for a few minutes, all temps went up except the 79C which remained the same. I've read up on that and tried to find out what it is, apparently it's a dead sensor and nothing to worry about, is that right?

TMPIN1 is showing the same temp as easytune says my CPU temp is, 46C, so what is TMPIN1? And which is my cpu temp, 46 or 31?

System temp in easytune, what is system temp if not cpu or mobo? And what is aux temp?

Cpu fan in sisoft sandra is completely different from what  other apps show.

Coretemp, easytune6, sisoft:
http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/6069/screenshot511.jpg

HWMonitor:
http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/6711/screenshot513.jpg

Everest(cpu idle)
http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/699/screenshot515.jpg

Everest (cpu being stressed with orthos) Notice how 79C hasn't moved.
http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/6659/screenshot516.jpg

speedfan
http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/958/screenshot512.jpg

« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 04:34:44 am by Merlin »

Merlin

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 06:26:36 pm »
Is this really the official support forum for gigabyte? Or is there some other gigabyte forum I'm missing to get some answers?

JacoX

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 10:46:38 am »
The 79Cº temperature is a bug. I have it too with the same board and a X3 720.

The latest bios might get you CPU to run hotter, since enables the unlock core option.

The HWMonitor shows you the CPU temps, motherboard temps and the buggy 79. So from what i can see your temps are ok.

Merlin

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 01:04:14 pm »
JacoX, thanks mate, you're a star. That at least puts my mind at rest about the 79C! It's funny though, because from a cold boot one morning, I instantly loaded HWMonitor and it said 77C while the pc was still cold, then went to 79C within a minute and stayed there. But as you say, it's obviously buggy.

I've been wondering about the core temp and socket temp. Socket temp should always be lower than core temp, right? Could that figure of 46C be the socket temp, and if so, how could that be since it's so much higher than the core temp? Otherwise, if it's not socket, and it can't be the core temp, what is the 46C temp?  The core temp is 32, so shouldn't there be at least one temp on there, socket temp, that would show a lower temp than the core?  I tested for 3 hours and a half hours with prime95 on maximum stress for cpu, 100% load with small FFT's. The 79c didn't budge, which going by the what you said, would be right. The core temp went from 32 to 43C and stayed there for the whole test. The 46C went to 58C and also stayed there for the whole test.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 01:13:48 pm by Merlin »

runn3R

• Admin
    • GIGABYTE UK
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 04:44:59 pm »
Hi Merlin & JacoX

3-rd party software you use which reads 79 C temperature - it shows it as it tries to detect it from some non-existent sensor on the MB that's why it does not change when CPU is loaded or idle.
This topic has been already discussed here:
http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,406.msg1846.html#msg1846

The bug is from 3-rd party software side not from the MB as both internal BIOS monitoring and Easy Tune shows reasonable temps (not 79 C, but much lower)

About the CPU temperature change after flashing bios to newer version I will check it for Merlin and back to you.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 04:47:59 pm by runn3R »
ZX-S & C64 are still my favourites ;-)

Merlin

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2009, 04:30:50 am »
Thanks run3RR. Well, I just decided to flash back to the original BIOS, version FA, as I was getting better CPU temps before and I don't think I'll bother anymore with trying to unlock cores, so I don't need the EC Firmware.  My 46C idle has now dropped down to 40/41C, (38C when I disable smartfan in easytune) and my stress test 100% cpu load with orthos and prime95 has dropped down to a stable 52/53C from 58C, so I've managed a nice 5C to 6C temp drop all round with BIOS version FA :) Core temp down to 29C with smartfan disabled. That BIOS version is better than thermal paste, lol.

Obviously EC Firmware must have been loading my system with a few more degrees temperature. It would be nice if gigabyte could tweak the next  BIOS to have EC firmware with the same temps as BIOS version FA. Or maybe that's down to Award Software International who make them.

Btw, on the point of the buggy 79C, since not just Speedfan but all four of my 3rd party apps (HWMonitor, Speedfan, Sisoftsandra and Everest)  are all reporting this 79C, it would seem that the problem must surely originate from the motherboard causing them to pick up on it, no? It would be too much coincidence for several programs all to show the same temp without it coming from one particular source, ie, unconnected sensor that perhaps shouldn't be on the board  ;D  But it's no big deal for me anymore. Maybe they'll fix that in rev 3.0 if there's one.
Cheers!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 05:19:03 am by Merlin »

runn3R

• Admin
    • GIGABYTE UK
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2009, 11:53:21 am »
(...) was the original bios 'FA' inaccurately calibrated and showing me lower temp than I actually had?
(...)
Is TMPIN0 the motherboard? (...) TMPIN1 is showing the same temp as easytune says my CPU temp is, 46C, so what is TMPIN1? (...)
System temp in easytune, what is system temp if not cpu or mobo?

This MB supports Phenom II x4 550 starting from FB bios.
Please refer to CPU support list: http://www.giga-byte.co.uk/Support/Motherboard/CPUSupport_Model.aspx?ProductID=3097
So it may read CPU temperature inaccurately with FA bios, that's all.

TMPIN0 is for System temperature.
TMPIN1 is for CPU temperature.

System temp in Easytune or HWMonitor - it's detected on the PCB of the MB usually by thermal resistor or diode so it just shows approximate temperature inside your chassis, just near MB's PCB.

Merlin

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2009, 03:09:39 pm »
Ah right, cheers for the info, runn3R.
 I looked through that same list of compatible cpu's with this board before I bought it, but didn't realise it's meant to
have bios FB. Hmm, I wonder if it is misreading my temps now as you mentioned.

runn3R, I've done 3 bios flashes so far using @BIOS, from FA to FD, FD to FB, and FB to FA. I'm going to flash back to FB.
Is it ok to keep flashing bioses or does it damage the board in anyway? I read that motherboards can take thousands
of bios flashes, but I'm not sure. Here's a quote from an article I found: "There is a common myth concerning flash BIOS, saying that a chip can only be programmed a certain number of times. This is no longer true.  The modern flash bios can be reprogrammed well over 10,000 times."

Also, I've found @BIOS utility to be good, but some say it's unreliable.
Do you have any opinion on that? Can I do it without worrying and with the knowledge that there's always the dual bios to fall back on?
It's easier to use @BIOS than with floppy discs.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 04:24:38 pm by Merlin »

Merlin

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2009, 11:07:55 pm »
I can't edit that message anymore so I'll make a new reply.
So I just flashed it back to FB, this time with Q-flash and all is well. There was a slight glitch though.
After it booted into my windows desktop, the mouse froze and the computer rebooted itself.
Then after it got back to the desktop again, a windows message came up saying windows has
recovered from a serious error. Not sure why tbh? Oh well, at least the flash worked ok and I'll stick with Q-flash.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 11:08:32 pm by Merlin »

runn3R

• Admin
    • GIGABYTE UK
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2009, 12:35:14 pm »
(...) Is it ok to keep flashing bioses or does it damage the board in anyway? I read that motherboards can take thousands of bios flashes, but I'm not sure. (...)
Also, I've found @BIOS utility to be good, but some say it's unreliable.
Do you have any opinion on that? Can I do it without worrying and with the knowledge that there's always the dual bios to fall back on?
It's easier to use @BIOS than with floppy discs.

Hi

There is no problem with flashing bios chip many times, never heard about any limitation or bad influence on the MB itself.

@BIOS - as this utility is run under Windows so it can cause problem in case when your OS is no stable enough (due to drivers & compatibility issues, etc.).

Therefore I strongly prefer and recommend to use Q-Flash (under BIOS setup) as it's reliable tool. And you don't have to use floppy discs for it, as it's OK to use USB pendrive for this purpose, see the guide at:
http://www.giga-byte.co.uk/FileList/NewTech/old_motherboard_newtech/flashbios_qflash.pdf

P.S. In some rare cases (new products, beta bioses) it can happen that the only way to upgrade bios is to use the utility which is bundled with the bios file (FLASHSPI under DOS for instance), which you download from our website.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 12:37:33 pm by runn3R »