Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-X58A-UD3R shutdown and startup problem.

Störung

GA-X58A-UD3R shutdown and startup problem.
« on: June 22, 2011, 10:17:03 pm »
Hello,

since yesterday my computer doesn't seem to shut down anymore, instead it goes in sleeping mode each time I try. Have no idea how this comes or what I must/can check to solve this problem. Now I can only shut down via holding on/off switch some seconds.

Also with starting up, after the Welcome screen, instead of desktop loading, the screen goes black for like 30s to 1m before desktop loads. This is not for that long yet. Only the mouse pointer is on the screen then. Anyone an idea what causes this and how can be solved?

I also have some question about the Marvell controller but I saw the other thread about it and I need to read that a few more times and try to understand maybe I not need to ask the questions because the answers might be for me also.

Still I have one quick question about it. I had just ordered an OCZ Agility 3 Sata3 SSD and ofcourse read just to late about this Marvell problem. I'm not really sure about this anymore now, but did I better buy a Sata2 SSD? I only received it yesterday so I could still make use of the 2 weeks return right. Should I return it and order a cheaper Sata2 SSD instead?

Also since I build this computer october last year (my first) I have a WD 640GB Sata600 HD connected to the Sata3. I never noticed untill now few days there was no driver installed for the Marvell controller. The one from Gigabyte support didn't work then I downloaded it from station-drivers.com and that one did install. I'm not really sure if the Sata3 works how it suppose to now but I do get the impression that programs load and open some faster. I have also just via the Regedit set to ACHI and then in the BIOS set it. Do I also have to disable the IDE controller in the BIOS for Sata3?
I will try to set that ACHI properly next time I install OS (on SSD or maybe clean install on the WD for moment)

Also I do not plan to set up Raid. But I was plan to install SSD for OS and actually thought to have the WD Sata600 on the second Sata3 port. But I don't know sure yet now.

My build:
GA-X58A-UD3R rev 2.0 BIOS FA (I never updated it)
i7-920 Bloomfield running in turbo mode.
8GB PC3 10600 cl9 Kingston Valueram. (I also have a set of 6GB of this same)
WDC WD6402AAEX-00Z3A0 (Sata600) HD for OS
Samsung Spinpoint F3 for storage in dock of case (not always connected)
Cooler Master 800W power supply.
Windows 7 64bit
Gigbyte GTX460-OC-1GB (normally in sli but needed take one card out for not proper working fan)
Cooler Master HAF-XB / Z77-UD4H rev1.0 / i5-3570K / NZXT Kraken M22 / 16GB HyperX Beast / Samsung 120GB 850series (OS)/ Crucial MX500 500GB / Cooler Master Silent Pro 800W / MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6G / Win10 Pro 64bit

Aussie Allan

• A yoyo uses all three fundermental laws of phisics
Re: GA-X58A-UD3R shutdown and startup problem.
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 11:07:39 pm »

Störung ... Welcome

To begin with ....if you update your BIOS to the latest on the Gigabyte site at the very least.....I would say there's a very good chance your problems may go away!

I'll come back in the morning with the others, might have to make a form letter/post for the Marvell, ... man Ive answered this Sooooooooooooo many times my fingers hurt!

Last one is IDE and ACHI......If you install in IDE, ... Run in IDE...... there is a work around to install the drivers and configure, but I'm not convinced to the long term integrity over Installing with ACHI configured in BIOS in the first place........computers only do "EXACTLY" what you tell them too!

If you tell it to run in IDE then YOU change your mind.........well you get the idea!

Aussie Allan
i7-4790K @4.8GHz 24/7 water clock
MSI XPower AC
32GB corsair  2666Mhz
 GTX-1070Ti full cover
Lange DDC elite pump
G changer360 Rad x2
Phobya 450 balancer
W10 Pro-64
Zigor 2000 UPS
1x500GB for clone
6x2tb- raid5-Storage
C: Evo 970 Pro 512gb
Scratch:Evo 970 Plus 512gb

Störung

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 11:37:52 pm »
Thanks for answer mate,

I will do tomorrow when I come home from work, the BIOS update.... after come back with result if it's better.

Have to sleep now.
Cooler Master HAF-XB / Z77-UD4H rev1.0 / i5-3570K / NZXT Kraken M22 / 16GB HyperX Beast / Samsung 120GB 850series (OS)/ Crucial MX500 500GB / Cooler Master Silent Pro 800W / MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6G / Win10 Pro 64bit

Störung

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 06:56:58 pm »
Ok,

I have updated the BIOS to Fg1, all went well. Though the BIOS changes I made earlier (change IDE to AHCI) are undone now because the Optimized default load.
The shutdown problem is solved in the meantime. I got that solved last night, but I don't know what I done makes sence to solved this. In the BIOS I setted the ICH SATA Control mode from IDE to AHCI. After windows started up the drivers for IDE ATA/ATAPI-controllers(Device manager) started install and AHCI controller. After this my computer shutted down normal again instead of going into sleep mode.
Before when I try enable AHCI via regedit way, in the BIOS I setted only GSATA 6_7/IDE CTRL mode from IDE to AHCI. I think that was wrong maybe? But maybe it explains the problem, because my OS HD is connected to the GSAT A6_7 but I had no AHCI drivers/controllers installed?

However, the black screen between Welcome screen and desktop load remains. Could this maybe have to do with that I have removed one of my graphic cards? I don't remember when it right started do this, not for so long though.

Could you advice me about the Agility 3? Should I return it and get money back and then buy a slower & cheaper SSD because the speed of Agility 3 won't be reached anyways? With the Marvell problem, an Agility 2 was maybe good enough?

If you advice to send back SSD and get another, I will reinstall Windows clean on the WD 640GB HD this weekend. I will use the MB manual to try install AHCI mode. But is there maybe some things you'd say to note down to certainly not forget do in BIOS or so before/after install of windows7?
If the Agility3 is good to keep, I'll just install win7 onthere.

Maybe intresting to mention also after the BIOS update automaticly the firmware of SATA3 controller started to update.

Thanks for your time!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 09:22:03 pm by Störung »

Aussie Allan

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 10:20:24 pm »
Ok,

A) Störung ... Welcome again, ...good to hear you had some wins in the last 24hrs

I have updated the BIOS to Fg1, all went well. Though the BIOS changes I made earlier (change IDE to AHCI) are undone now because the Optimized default load.

A) this is normal and once optimized so your BOIS picks up all your hardware you have to reconfigure all the settings again IDE to ACHI, 32 to 64 and so on.

The shutdown problem is solved in the meantime. I got that solved last night, but I don't know what I done makes sence to solved this. In the BIOS I setted the ICH SATA Control mode from IDE to AHCI. After windows started up the drivers for IDE ATA/ATAPI-controllers(Device manager) started install and AHCI controller. After this my computer shutted down normal again instead of going into sleep mode.
Before when I try enable AHCI via regedit way, in the BIOS I setted only GSATA 6_7/IDE CTRL mode from IDE to AHCI. I think that was wrong maybe? But maybe it explains the problem, because my OS HD is connected to the GSAT A6_7 but I had no AHCI drivers/controllers installed?

A) besides the regedit method, if you install in IDE it works in IDE and the same goes for ACHI for ACHI, I would stick to the Intel ports (ICH10R) for your main :C: drive as at 10 yrs old it has matured to what it is today and will out perform GSATA and Marvell every time.

However, the black screen between Welcome screen and desktop load remains. Could this maybe have to do with that I have removed one of my graphic cards? I don't remember when it right started do this, not for so long though.

A) OCZ has had a run of updates almost right across there range addressing many hardware compatibility issues, ... this could be one of them, make sure it carries the latest firmware and it could possible fix this problem.

Could you advice me about the Agility 3? Should I return it and get money back and then buy a slower & cheaper SSD because the speed of Agility 3 won't be reached anyways? With the Marvell problem, an Agility 2 was maybe good enough?

A) I wish I had a dollar for every time I explained this one to people....The 88SE9128 version Marvell controller chip that this , and millions of other motherboards shipped with , across several manufactures never lived up to the hype supplied by sometimes, ruthless marketing departments .
  There is a movement to attempt a fix for this issue but everything takes time. Presently on your board SATA III is not supported unless a PCI-E Raid card is added...........Sadly I would return your agility 3 and get the Agility 2 ... at least with the second , close to the Max throughput can be achieved on the Intel port/s

If you advice to send back SSD and get another, I will reinstall Windows clean on the WD 640GB HD this weekend. I will use the MB manual to try install AHCI mode. But is there maybe some things you'd say to note down to certainly not forget do in BIOS or so before/after install of windows7?
If the Agility3 is good to keep, I'll just install win7 onthere.

A) the main thing is to install the OS under ACHI not IDE, the best advise I can give is read your manual like a novel, front to back, this will give you a good grounding in any small problems you may come across and if aplicable load the drivers required before/during the windows install.

Maybe intresting to mention also after the BIOS update automaticily the firmware of SATA3 controller started to update.

A) lots of feature will be now active with the later BIOS update.........keep in touch regards the Marvell issue as you never know whats around the corner.........have fun!

Thanks for your time!........with pleasure!

Aussie Allan
MSI XPower AC
32GB corsair  2666Mhz
 GTX-1070Ti full cover
Lange DDC elite pump
G changer360 Rad x2
Phobya 450 balancer
W10 Pro-64
Zigor 2000 UPS
1x500GB for clone
6x2tb- raid5-Storage

Störung

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 06:37:01 pm »
I think I have a big problem :/

Before I wanted start on reinstall, I went to BIOS to check some things and look a bit to it. I did change some things, I thought not so important thingsalso because I was going reinstall anyways, but now my computer won't start up anymore.

When I push the power switch now, the computer starts up to shut down immediatly after; it stays off for some seconds and then starts again but nothing shows on the monitor and the CPU fan doens't turn. The other 4pin fan connected the the MB does turn, as all the other fans connected to MB. Only the CPU fan not. I notice the CPU voltage & temp LEDs not light up. The Phase LEDs are all lighted into red and I think DDR phase LED is lighted up half way.
I tried to clear CMOS (unplugging power cord, then press cl cmos) but that doesn't help.

What I had done in the BIOS what might cause this, in the Advanced BIOS features:
Init Display First stood on PCI and I setted to PCIE x16-1. I just noticed this up and looked in the manual and think don't I have PCIE x16 graphic card in that slot?.. shoudln't I have done this??

For the rest I was in PC Health Status wich I think I disabled.

Can one of these things have caused?? Do you have idea what I can do to get my computer start up again??

HEEEELP :p 

Aussie Allan

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 08:28:33 pm »

Störung, ... What have done matie ;)....... check all connections twice........pull power and do an extended reset, pop the battery For the bios, press the BIOS reset button press the on/off button a couple of time for a second or two then make dinner.....Have wine and relax......very, very unlikely you data or install is damaged , good time to reread your manual again

One hour later, push BIOS reset button again..... put battery back in, and power up and attempt to get back into bios......and hit optimized defaults, save and reboot again............go back to Bios and configure as normal.........do you remember if you loaded the OS under IDE or AHCI.....set to what was there during install..............let me know how things go!

Aussie Allan
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 09:12:15 pm by Dark Mantis »
MSI XPower AC
32GB corsair  2666Mhz
 GTX-1070Ti full cover
Lange DDC elite pump
G changer360 Rad x2
Phobya 450 balancer
W10 Pro-64
Zigor 2000 UPS
1x500GB for clone
6x2tb- raid5-Storage

Störung

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 01:37:51 am »
I have no idea  :-\

Have checked the connections twice, don't see anything there.

I tried what you said but it didn't work? The computer does still do the same, don't think I can get into BIOS like this. It coudln't be that I killed my MB, could it??

When I clear CMOS, via the backpanel button, but on the MB near the battery there is also clr cmos with an arrow and it seems such a tiny spot to push with a pen in? Can that be? I haven't touch that though because I not sure.

I wans't busy yet with the clean windows install, but about to go start on it when no start up anymore, the few changes I made in BIOS before I was going to clean install windows was not meant for new install but just to see what it do. => something not good apparently :p

No idea what I can do, maybe unplug all cable and then replug but I don't think that is going to do solve.
I think I must try get someone overhere that knows little more about it then me!!

I'll keep it updated later on, going to sleep now.

Aussie Allan

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 08:48:56 am »

Just to see if the board will boot, pull everything except PSU, GPU and memory out of your box and see if it boots.

Aussie Allan
MSI XPower AC
32GB corsair  2666Mhz
 GTX-1070Ti full cover
Lange DDC elite pump
G changer360 Rad x2
Phobya 450 balancer
W10 Pro-64
Zigor 2000 UPS
1x500GB for clone
6x2tb- raid5-Storage

Störung

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 09:40:26 am »
I already tried that this morning. Pulled out sata devices (hard disk en dvd rom). Still the same happens. Do you also mean to unplug the front panel USB connection to the MB and other cables like HD Audio,...? Keyboard, mouse is all disconnected.

Would this be problem with processor? Because the CPU fan is the only not working and none of the CPU LEDs go on. Though the CPU fan starts to run when switch power on, but it stops immediatly as if it gets no power. The others connected to MB just keep running.

Would it make sence to try swap graphic card? Because the monitor doesn't come on either. I have another GTX460-OC1GI that I got out the computer last week because a not proper working fan, plan to send it back to the shop for let repair or place new fan on it. But can that have something to do then that CPU fan not works and no boot?

Aussie Allan

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2011, 11:03:45 am »

Störung

Sometimes no matter what we do......it is what it is!.......I'll get the Moderator (DM) to cast his eye over this post but I think your board was terminal when we met and now lives with the computer god :D......If it is Toast, Feel better that your board is covered by a gigabyte 3 year warranty ,....another good reason to be with Gigabyte boards, I'll PM DM and get him to give his verdict!

Aussie Allan
MSI XPower AC
32GB corsair  2666Mhz
 GTX-1070Ti full cover
Lange DDC elite pump
G changer360 Rad x2
Phobya 450 balancer
W10 Pro-64
Zigor 2000 UPS
1x500GB for clone
6x2tb- raid5-Storage

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2011, 12:29:32 pm »
Hi

Well between the two of you there seems to be no stone unturned! I think before we condemn the motherboard we need to go back to basics and see what we can find out.

Install your graphics card in the PCIEx16_1 slot.

Do an extended clear of the CMOS by following these instructions exactly:

Remove the power cable from the mains supply and then press the power switch on the case for a few seconds just to drain any residual energy in the PSU capacitors.

Once done remove the motherboard battery for at least six hours before replacing it.

Next plug back into the mains supply and boot.

You will now need to enter the BIOS by pressing DEL and load Optimised BIOS Defaults.

Make any other changes to the BIOS settings to suit your self like disabling the floppy drive, disabling the full screen logo, make Primary graphics adapter as PCIEx16(or PEG) and making the HDD the primary boot device and then press F10 to save and exit.

Please post back when completed.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Störung

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2011, 12:38:55 pm »
So your thought the board just died on me?! Well, it perhaps must be something serieus when it's not possible to clear CMOS and boot.
I have a friend coming over in 1-2 hours, he already builds computers since his early teenyears I believe. Maybe he sees something stupid that I overlooked, or maybe he gives same verdict as you. I shall post his findings later on.

On the other hand if the MB died, I can keep the Agility 3 SSD, because a new Gigabyte UD3R now will have working Marvell controllers, that's correct right?

Again thanks for your time and trying to help solve my computer problems.

Aussie Allan

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2011, 12:43:27 pm »

Yes! that is correct.....sometimes things happen for a reason.........could be the best thing that could have happened all thing concerned!

Keep us all post........helps us improve our knowledge for the next lost sole so to speak!...... and thanks DM again.

Aussie Allan
MSI XPower AC
32GB corsair  2666Mhz
 GTX-1070Ti full cover
Lange DDC elite pump
G changer360 Rad x2
Phobya 450 balancer
W10 Pro-64
Zigor 2000 UPS
1x500GB for clone
6x2tb- raid5-Storage

Störung

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2011, 12:48:27 pm »
@ Darkmantis. Thanks for your reply again, I will try your advice later on. Going to wait untill my friend is here with taking the battery out for 6 hours so he can still have a look what my computer right does when switch power on.
If he doesn't find something, all that's left I can do is try your advice.  

So later on the evening, I'll post how your advice turned out.

Thx!

btw Lucky I still have my laptop to can come to the forum!!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 12:52:20 pm by Störung »