Official GIGABYTE Forum

Tip for GPU (triple/Quad? ) in a DAW?

Tip for GPU (triple/Quad? ) in a DAW?
« on: November 11, 2011, 12:45:55 pm »
Anyone tried the Quadro NVS 420 / 450 graphic cards?

I have a quad graphic card now, but it is a bit too noisy (the fan has to be replaced...) so I'm probably replacing.

Seen the NVS 420/450 going for about 120-180$ (for eBay) and wondered if anyone has one of them/tried one of them.

The 450 are fanless, but I'm a bit worried GPU's will be too hot when fanless?

I've gotten a few hints to buy 2x dual GPUs instead (price) but have not decided yet.

Basic knowledge, nice to know:

- It has to be fanless, and produce as litte heat as possible
- have to work nicely with my DAW (see signature). I'm thinking drivers etc
- I'm now actually just using 3 screens, so there could be a posibility to just buy a triple output card
- I dont game. Period.
- Should be as cheap as possible :)
- I really dont know a squat about GPU's. If you tell me "geforce this, ATI that" I look mostly like a deer in your headlights. Tell me simple. :P

I'm located a few a few dual output alternatives:
- Sapphire Radeon HD 5450 512MB DDR3
- Gainward GeForce 210 512MB PhysX CUDA
- HIS Radeon HD 5450 1GB DDR3
- ASUS GeForce 210 512MB Silent PhysX CUDA
- Gainward GeForce 8400GS 1GB PhysX CUDA
- Sapphire Radeon HD 5450 1GB DDR3
- Gainward GeForce 210 1GB PhysX CUDA
-ASUS GeForce 210 512MB Silent PhysX CUDA

DAW:
Fractal Design R3 Arctic White, Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3A 2.0, i7 920 D0 Bloomfield, Noctua NH-D14, 12Gb OCZ Gold 1600 RAM, Intel 80GB SSD OS, OCZ Agility 3 (Audio), Nvidia NVS450 GPU (Quad), Corsair AX950 PSU, Tascam FW-1884 audio interface/DAW controller

Gloup_Gloup

• Let us sweet between members, on the forum.
Re: Tip for GPU (triple/Quad? ) in a DAW?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 03:00:28 pm »
Hi kristoffer,  welcome to the forum.

Did you get an idea of ​​the brand product Gigabyte?  :D

I can think of the brand and model of graphics card, if it does not drain the hot air out of the box, it will be a hot situation in the case.
Therefore focus on a card with a rear exit, by back pannel.

If you ever buy a graphics card with no fan or ventilation supposedly less powerful, I suggest you equip your case.
Add fan to remove heat. The fan casing (200mm or 140mm ) if possible, but slow. They are less noisy.

I have to understand that you have a Digital Audio Workstations.

I see you have 12 Gb of RAM.

Did you remember to remove one or all of the fans of Noctua NH-D14?
If you do not play a game or OC (overclocking), they are not necessary.

You can check the temperature in bios or HW Monitor.
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Edit: I will return to complete my answer. Please be patient. I am very specific in my suggestions.

Otherwise if you have additional information or pictures of your equipment (inside the case, for example) do not hesitate to display a pictures. By a free host site.

Gloup_Gloup
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 03:30:21 pm by Gloup_Gloup »

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 08:17:43 pm »
Personally I would be looking at the ATI cards in your position for two reasons.
a: less driver issues than NVidia
b: ATI Graphic Chips tend to run cooler than NVidia so it will be easier to keep the whole system cool.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 07:20:07 am »
As Gloup_Gloup has already mentioned this is a Gigabyte forum and not for general technical help. Although we don't adhere strictly to the rule but Gigabyte should feature somewhere in the question.  ;)
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Gloup_Gloup

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 06:49:43 pm »
As Gloup_Gloup has already mentioned this is a Gigabyte forum and not for general technical help. Although we don't adhere strictly to the rule but Gigabyte should feature somewhere in the question.  ;)

Hi my friend, Dark Mantis,

I have read the signing of kristoffer.

DAW:
Fractal Design R3 Arctic White, Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3A 2.0, i7 920 D0 Bloomfield, Noctua NH-D14, 12Gb OCZ Gold 1600 RAM, Intel 80GB SSD OS, Raid0 WD Velociraptor (Audio), Matrox QID (Quad) PCIe GPU, Corsair AX950 PSU, ESI 1010e 19" rack Audio interface

Is that enough for creating this Topic, to have a Gigabyte motherboard?
Or does it really have a problem with the graphics card Gigabyte brand?

Gloup_Gloup

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 07:27:34 am »
I understand what you are saying Gloup_Gloup but the link is a bit tenuous. It  could get to a stage where someone could say "well I used to have a Gigabyte board" ! I really think that the piece of equiptment should be to do with the manufacturer even indirectly, when asking for help .
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 07:28:23 am by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Gloup_Gloup

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 08:45:11 am »
Hi Dark Mantis,  ;)

This context will be more clear in the future for me.

Gloup_Gloup.

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 07:51:03 pm »
ok, I'll refrase:

Has anyone tried the NVS 420/450 with a GIGABYTE motherboard UD3R, and know if these are playing well together?

Or would you reccomend a GIGABYTE GPU for my needs  ;D
DAW:
Fractal Design R3 Arctic White, Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3A 2.0, i7 920 D0 Bloomfield, Noctua NH-D14, 12Gb OCZ Gold 1600 RAM, Intel 80GB SSD OS, OCZ Agility 3 (Audio), Nvidia NVS450 GPU (Quad), Corsair AX950 PSU, Tascam FW-1884 audio interface/DAW controller

Gloup_Gloup

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 08:37:23 pm »
Hi kristopher,

Sorry but i read this topic :
http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?high=&m=2424976&mpage=1#2425293

You asked several questions and even repetitively from one site to another, like here.
 I understand that you have the right to express yourself.
But here we have the right not to answer and invite you to continue on the site of http://forum.cakewalk.com

However if you feel like you obtain a graphics card Gigabyte, please visit the website http://www.gigabyte.com/products/main.aspx?s=43 by example.

I encourage you to do research on the subject, well idenfifier your needs in the use of graphics cards and monitors. Use Google to find information or share opnion or information on other technical forums.

On the forum here, there is less than about 10 topics were relating to your request. And none exact model of your graphics card.

Thank you to respect the rules of the forum and thinking of us members who take the trouble to respond. Be efficient and accurate.

When you buy a graphics card Gigabyte, we will be happy to help you on this.

Gloup_Gloup
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 09:59:30 pm by Gloup_Gloup »

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 08:52:23 pm »
Gloup_Gloup:
 ???
As I say it the first post, I have gotten some input (2 x dual card instead of quad) but if you read the whole tread at Cakewalk that is about all input I've got.

As I've earlier have found this forum both helpful and with high competence with both Gigabyte motherboards and DAWs I did post the same question here to get more information.
Do you feel I have fussed a lot in this tread? (i'd understand if I had "bumped" 2 times a day...)

....Encourage me to research on the subject? Thats what I'm trying to do?  ::)

Othervise than that, I'm really happy for everyone who use their time :D
DAW:

Gloup_Gloup

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2011, 09:15:00 pm »
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 09:33:50 pm by Gloup_Gloup »

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2011, 10:05:25 pm »
Thanks, I'll check into those.  :P

DAW:

Gloup_Gloup

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2011, 10:13:01 pm »
Thanks, I'll check into those.  :P

Good hunting information.
Please be patient.
And read the topics of these forums who reports to your questions.
Sometimes you will find partial answers.
But a more another partial answer can satisfy your appetite for information.

Gloup_Gloup

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2011, 08:05:47 am »
Hi kristoffer,

Here are a few Gigabyte GPU's that I would recommend: http://uk.gigabyte.com/products/comparison/list.aspx?ck=3&pids=3968,3937,3862,3861

As with all things there is a price to pay and using silent cards does mean that the heat generated has to be dispersed by another means from the PC Case but, because you can use larger fans here, you can clear the heat and lower the noise.

From my own experience, running two of the lower end cards is the way to go. I currently have 2x Gigabyte 6770's in my system driving 3 monitors and have had no problems.

The biggest power draw from Cubase (and I would assume with other similar software) when it comes to graphics use, is when I have the Mixer up and running with all the channel strips showing volume, as they are being constantly redrawn. Obviously, the more tracks I am mixing and the more visual the display the hotter the cards get but they have never gone into meltdown!

Another aspect to consider is will you be using the DAW for Video work? If so then you would probably do better with an NVidia GPU as most software will make use of the CUDA and PhysX aspects of these chips to help speed up rendering.

Whichever chip maker you go for I do not feel that you need to be paying for a high-end card and I have several friends running their DAW's with what many would consider obsolete GPU's but with no adverse effects.

As Gloup_Gloup has said, trying to get a full answer, from one source, when it comes to something like this is going to be really difficult as each user is influenced by their own experiences, budget, the kit they are running and their supposed knowledge. Only you know what you are trying to achieve and you will probably have to cherry pick from the responses that you get to find the best solution to your problem. From my own experience a totally silent PC is next to impossible to build but the challenge of doing so is great fun.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Gloup_Gloup

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2011, 01:50:22 pm »
Hi Absic, ;)

Another situation.
There is more research is needed on the Internet.
About  Fanless PC.

I make a Topic :  Fanless PC
http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,7390.msg58472.html#msg58472