Official GIGABYTE Forum

Can mobo beep for temperature even when alarms are disabled?

Can mobo beep for temperature even when alarms are disabled?
« on: January 21, 2012, 10:31:46 pm »
I have a GA-P67A-UD3-B3 + Intel i5 2500k + ATI Saphire 6950 1GB + 2x4gb G.Skill RipJaws Series + PSU CoolerMaster GX650w.

The computer boots just fine, I get the normal 1 beep and then I get into the OS (Win7 or Linux Ubuntu 11.04 with dualboot). After a while of using the computer I get this strange beep code ( beep-pause-beep-pause-beep (beeps are short)). Also happened (only once) that the beep were continuous (with a short pause between each other), and then the computer turned off and back on but got the infamous reboot loop, I then unplugged the power and drained it pressing the power button, connected everything again and it booted fine.

But after using the computer for a while I still get the "three beeps", now I shut down the computer as soon as I hear them to prevent the reboot loop that happened before.

This is driving me crazy because its not beeping at boot like a normal problem, it lets me get into the OS and everything, plus I have used it for days sometimes without hearing the beep so this makes it really hard to test stuff, I tried all the memory slots, using only one memory, disconnecting all unnecesary cables, etc and still get the beeps, I even heard them once while leaving the computer into the BIOS setup for like 15 minutes.

I also used a voltimeter on the wall plug, and I get around 215volts (should be 220v), but I monitored while running the computer, and once it beeped and the volts were stuck on 215, they weren't lower, and the computer seems to work anyway with that voltage, if that was the problem I would expect to get the beeps as soon as I turn it on.

I checked temperatures with software and bios, and they never go above 56C, disk, vga, cores, etc, even while beeping.

Since beeps while into the operative system are mostly because of temperature, I though it was that or fan failure alarm, but I disabled all the alarms on the bios and tried again, and still get the beeps after using it for a while.

So, can the mobo beep because of temperature, even when the alarms are disabled?

What could be happening? Could it be a voltage problem? Does someone has an audio sample of how the power error beeps sound like? Does vga cards contain their own beep speaker?

I haven't received any response from gigabyte.

Aussie Allan

• A yoyo uses all three fundermental laws of phisics
Re: Can mobo beep for temperature even when alarms are disabled?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 10:54:04 pm »

Award Bios beep code of this nature ( High frequency beeeps while running) indicates an overheating CPU ..... open at least two temp monitors and try and replicate the fault and record the temps ..... a game or stress test might help get you there.

So, can the mobo beep because of temperature, even when the alarms are disabled? .... short answer .... I don't know for sure .... but I think it would still squeal like a stuck pig!

Long answer ...... why in hadies would you want to disable the thermal alarm completely ?... or do I misunderstand.

Aussie Allan
i7-4790K @4.8GHz 24/7 water clock
MSI XPower AC
32GB corsair  2666Mhz
 GTX-1070Ti full cover
Lange DDC elite pump
G changer360 Rad x2
Phobya 450 balancer
W10 Pro-64
Zigor 2000 UPS
1x500GB for clone
6x2tb- raid5-Storage
C: Evo 970 Pro 512gb
Scratch:Evo 970 Plus 512gb

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 11:40:00 pm »

Award Bios beep code of this nature ( High frequency beeeps while running) indicates an overheating CPU ..... open at least two temp monitors and try and replicate the fault and record the temps ..... a game or stress test might help get you there.

So, can the mobo beep because of temperature, even when the alarms are disabled? .... short answer .... I don't know for sure .... but I think it would still squeal like a stuck pig!

Long answer ...... why in hadies would you want to disable the thermal alarm completely ?... or do I misunderstand.

Aussie Allan

I didn't want to disable alarms completely, but I disabled them to see if the beeps continued, so I could confirm it was a temperature alarm, but the beeps continues with the alarms disabled.

Now it's been a few hours and I can't make it beep again, I will try installing and running some game as you said. Also I noticed this problem almost never happen at night, I think it only happened once at night.

Also, the vga (ati radeon 6950) is much bigger than the old cards like nvidia gt8xxx, and it was on top of the motherboard chip dissipator (see http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/4632/p67aud4.jpg, im talking about the dissipator next to the pci slots, I moved the vga to the last pci slot and now the dissipator is not covered by the vga).

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 12:16:15 am »
There I got the beeps again!!!  ??? I wasn't even running any program at all.
Hardware sensors Monitor 4.5 shows:

Mainboard: 25c
CPU1: 44c
CPU0: 46c
HDD: 37c
Chassis Fan Speed: 1950RPM
Voltages:
+12v : +12.04v
+5v: +5.07v
+3.3v: +3.38V
Core: 1.33v
Aux: 1.02v

SpeedFan show temps:

Core0 : 44c
Core1: 45c
Core1: 42c
Core3: 46c
HD0: 39C
Temp1:42c
Temp2: 25c
Temp3: 36c
Fan speed: 1929rpm

And from the bios (pc health status section) just after the beeps:

System Temp: 45c
CPU Temp: 48c
CPU Fan Speed: 2327RPM
VCore: 1.212v
DDR15V: 1.536v
+12v: 12.073v
Vcc3: 3.383v
Vcc: 5.083v
Vtt: 1.088v

I am out of ideas, I dont know what the hell is causing this. I guess I will need a new mobo.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 12:21:42 am by www »

Rolo42

• DON'T PANIC!
    • PC Parts List
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 12:58:33 am »
You need to use a program that records/displays min and max fan speeds, temperatures, and voltages, as all these can trigger that alarm.

Did you try disabling fan alarms with the temp alarms?

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 01:17:52 am »
You need to use a program that records/displays min and max fan speeds, temperatures, and voltages, as all these can trigger that alarm.

Did you try disabling fan alarms with the temp alarms?

I've disabled all the alarms on the bios as I said on my first post. Beeps still continue to happen.

This is the beep (i didn't recorded it but I generated it using audio software and it sound pretty much the same). Download it or listen it here: http://kiwi6.com/file/mx750tt335 or here http://www.zshare.net/audio/98880046f982b8e4/

btw, the beep code is exactly like the one I uploaded, 3 beeps 3 times, its not like a continuous "3beeps pause 3beeps pause... infinite"
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 02:13:02 am by www »

Ben

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 05:35:04 am »
Hi, WWW.

Here are a few suggestions you can try, these I got from experience the hard way.

I had something similar happen to me a long time ago, turned out to be a faulty keyboard.

Also check your RAM chips as 1 or both maybe faulty, how old is your video card? ie, is it new or second hand. (could be faulty)

Remove & clean all components of dust, including the mobo sockets & reseat all components. (make sure you are static free).

It will probably be something silly, as generally is the case.

Ben.

Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3R-B3
i7 2600 (4.00GHZ)
Ripjaws X 2@8GB XL (1.7V)
Kingston Blu Hyper 2@2GB (1.7V)
Corsair TX 650
HD 6870 1gb
blu ray + dvd
1T wd hdd
500gb WD hdd
Gigabyte Armor+MX case
Noctua air cooling (4 fans)
AOC 27'
Win 8 pro Full

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 05:52:33 am »
Hi, WWW.

Here are a few suggestions you can try, these I got from experience the hard way.

I had something similar happen to me a long time ago, turned out to be a faulty keyboard.

Also check your RAM chips as 1 or both maybe faulty, how old is your video card? ie, is it new or second hand. (could be faulty)

Remove & clean all components of dust, including the mobo sockets & reseat all components. (make sure you are static free).

It will probably be something silly, as generally is the case.

Ben.

The keyboard is the only old thing (ps2 keyboard), but could a keyboard cause the computer to shutdown and then enter the infamous reboot loop? (which happened once after it beeped multiple times like the audios I uploaded (with minutes of pause between each beeps)). Thats why I shut it down after it beeps now.

I tested the 2 memories separated, on slot 1 and 3 using only one and on slot 12, 34 using both, ran memtest from memtest.org and didn't found any error.

All components are brand new, i removed cleaned and replugged everything (not the cpu).

Which is super annoying is that I cant reproduce the beeps whenever I want, they just happen randomly. I even tested benchmark tools, and games, and it doesn't seem to affect when the beeps occur, sometimes they occur without anything running or while changing stuff in the bios.

dikal

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 09:15:15 am »
You can hear the beeps from the pc case or from your speakers ?
You can also hear them when you boot into Linux?

If you hear them from the speakers and only in windows, a program probably produces them.

Aussie Allan

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 09:17:23 am »
  As my Aussie mate Ben states......likely predator is the keyboard ........three beep code can indicate keyboard or memory ...... this can be installed memory or VGA memory

Swap out the keyboard to rule it out.

Aussie Allan
MSI XPower AC
32GB corsair  2666Mhz
 GTX-1070Ti full cover
Lange DDC elite pump
G changer360 Rad x2
Phobya 450 balancer
W10 Pro-64
Zigor 2000 UPS
1x500GB for clone
6x2tb- raid5-Storage

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2012, 01:24:13 pm »
After reading though the thread I too would change the keyboard as the next step. It certainly is the most likely thing. ;)
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2012, 02:21:05 pm »
You can hear the beeps from the pc case or from your speakers ?
You can also hear them when you boot into Linux?

If you hear them from the speakers and only in windows, a program probably produces them.

The sound comes from the motherboard tiny speaker of course, and I said in the first post it happened both in linux and windows.

Thanks everyone for the replies, I will go get a new keyboard and test with that.

I always tend to think this was caused by a power error from the electrical network (not the psu), since it happens so randomly, for example, it has been 10 hours since I don't hear the beeps. Also room temperature dropped on the last 10 hours, which cause the electrical network to provide power more normally, since when its TOO hot everyone and their mother has their air conditioner turned on and theres a really visible drop in the volotage of the electric network (voltage is the only thing i can measure right now).

As my Aussie mate Ben states......likely predator is the keyboard ........three beep code can indicate keyboard or memory ...... this can be installed memory or VGA memory

Swap out the keyboard to rule it out.

Aussie Allan

Is there some software to test vga memory for errors?

Aussie Allan

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2012, 02:56:08 pm »

Is there some software to test vga memory for errors?

http://www.technibble.com/repair-tool-of-the-week-video-memory-stress-test/

or for those with a little more experience

http://mikelab.kiev.ua/index_en.php?page=programs/vmt_en

Aussie Allan  8)
MSI XPower AC
32GB corsair  2666Mhz
 GTX-1070Ti full cover
Lange DDC elite pump
G changer360 Rad x2
Phobya 450 balancer
W10 Pro-64
Zigor 2000 UPS
1x500GB for clone
6x2tb- raid5-Storage

Rolo42

• DON'T PANIC!
    • PC Parts List
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2012, 06:39:46 pm »
- BIOS doesn't test VRAM

- 215V is well within tolerance; if you go below 208V, look into it.  You really should use an UPS anyway

- Have you logged internal voltages?

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2012, 08:02:46 pm »
Thanks aussie alan, VRAM seems ok, no errors found.

- BIOS doesn't test VRAM

- 215V is well within tolerance; if you go below 208V, look into it.  You really should use an UPS anyway

- Have you logged internal voltages?

I don't use UPS, from what I heard UPS are good for when power goes completely out so you have some time to save your work and turn off the computer. I use stabilizers which as difference of UPS, will turn off when there's no input voltage, I think they just provide a more constant voltage stream than the wall plug. But the voltage I measured in the stabilizer seems to be the same as the wall plug so I am not sure what they stabilize (maybe amperes or watts or just the same voltage as the wall but more stable?).