Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-H61N-USB3 H61 BSOD

S-F

GA-H61N-USB3 H61 BSOD
« on: January 23, 2012, 06:54:26 pm »
I recently got a GA-H61N-USB3 H61. I stuck an i3 2100 and a 4 Gx2 PATRIOT PSD38G1600KH R kit on with an OCZ 600 watt PSU.

I can POST just fine every time. I can enter the BIOS and tinker around. The problems occur when trying to boot. I have tried to install Windows XP and 7 to OCZ SSD's (3 of them) and every time I get to the beginning of the boot process where the Windows flag begins to come together I get a BSOD. I have also tried booting from just the USB drive for installation with no SSD attached and I get the BSOD at the same place. I have tried booting with 1 stick of RAM (both sticks individually) and in both memory slots with the same results. I have even tried booting from a known good SSD with a regularly functioning OS on it and I get the BSOD in the same place. I was sure to set the BIOS to AHCI but it doesn't work in IDE either. And I have cleared the BIOS with the jumper and loaded optimized defaults. No luck there either.

Is the RAM I have incompatible or bad? That's all I can think of. It sounds strange for both sticks to be bad.

Rolo42

• DON'T PANIC!
    • PC Parts List
Re: GA-H61N-USB3 H61 BSOD
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 07:29:57 pm »
Did you run memtest86+ to test the RAM?

S-F

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 07:37:24 pm »
Hmmmm. No I haven't. I'll give it a shot tonight. Don't know why I didn't think about that. I must be getting out of the game. Thanks.

Still, could the RAM be incompatible? This is my first DDR 3 machine and as I understand it there are different requirements for different chipsets and different types of RAM.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 07:43:55 pm »
It is quite possible that the memory is incompatible or damaged. I take it that the RAM you purchased is a matched kit. It is also possible that your SSD drives are not compatible. OCZ in particular have manufactured quite a few drives that had problems with Gigabyte motherboards. If that is the case you would need to update the firmware on them. Also follow these instructions for running Memtest86+.

Please follow these instructions exactly.

I would suggest that you download and run the latest version of  Memtest86+ to check your RAM first.

Memtest86+        http://www.memtest.org/

Insert one stick of memory in slot 1 and run Memtest on it for at least 10 complete loops/cycles and if there are no errors then swap it over with the next one and continue untill you have checked all  modules.

If you have any errors the module is faulty.

If you have any faulty modules you will have to return the whole kit as they are matched.

Post back when you have done that with the results.

It would be a good idea to post a complete list of your components by make/model.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 07:48:16 pm by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Rolo42

• DON'T PANIC!
    • PC Parts List
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 09:03:18 pm »
Personally, I run all sticks I intend to use in the build; if there's a failure, then test them individually.  If they still fail, check your timings.

SandForce 22xx SSDs are problematic; do you have a SATA HDD you can use to test?

Gloup_Gloup

• Let us sweet between members, on the forum.
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 12:21:45 am »
Hi S-F,  ;)

I find this doc about your memory...
http://www.patriotmemory.com/products/specs/PSD38G1600K.pdf

Here I check if the ram is recommended for your motherboard ...  Yes ....
http://www.patriotmemory.com/configurator/morepartsp.jsp?catid=6569&mfrid=781&modelid=1124968&tab=r

Patriot Memory Installation Guide
http://www.patriotmemory.com/support/installp.jsp
(Just for help you ... if you want... I do not have infos about your experience...

Have you posibility to go to store and change your ram for another same kit... but try it on store place. In your computer... Why not?

Have you tried again a clear cmos?
Of course if you have not a positive boot result with Ram after Testing with Memtest...
I speak about after you have make a test with Memtest, if not detect a problem,
so I assume you reboot system... and if at this moment, you have not a good boot... hang...
Tried a boot with a one stick of Ram... check if is good or no....

I suggest clear cmos...

I suggest you apply the following instructions (quote from Dark Mantis) ...
===================================================

Hi

Try clearing the CMOS before installing the GPU. follow these instructions exactly.

Remove the power cable from the mains supply and then press the power switch on the case for a few seconds just to drain any residual energy in the PSU capacitors.

Once done remove the motherboard battery for at least one hour before replacing it.

Next plug back into the mains supply and boot.

You will now need to enter the BIOS by pressing DEL and load Optimised BIOS Defaults.

Make any other changes to the BIOS settings to suit your self like disabling the floppy drive, disabling the full screen logo and making the HDD the primary boot device and then press F10 to save and exit.

About BSOD
========

Have you more infos about it...
maybe take a picture by Telephon, Cellular or camera...
and give us a link here...

About Live CD with Linux system..
====================

Maybe test a Live CD or DVD with linux...
Check if you have a same problem...

About Bios
=======

What is your Bios Version?

Because is not good idea to install a Beta Bios like a F4B...
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3963#bios

Is just a question... I do not ask to you ... Flash a Bios... now... do not make this now... wait after other tests or change ...
But give us a infos about your bios version...

Have you make a manually changes (before or after clear cmos (if you make it...)) in the BIOS... ?

Because the Patriot Signature lines (your model) are designed to be complete plug and play with no settings needed.
But the motherboard may override this timing and choose to set something else.

The normal setting are 1600 9-9-9-24 1.50v

But when i read a GB Memory QVL:
http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_ga-h61n-usb3.pdf
I find Model Name: H61N-USB3 DDR3 1600 (downgrade to DDR3 1333)
Otherwise you may need to relax the timings to 1333.
dram voltage 1.5v
Maybe check in the Advanced Memory Settings Section in the BIOS.

Manual page 37
http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-h61n-usb3_e.pdf

What is the value for
 QPI voltage, and
cpu voltage

See page 39 on manual.

Have you tried other stict of ram from another Brands?
Maybe by a friend or in shop place...?

About CPU and HeatSink
===============

When you have installed a cpu on socket, you put a thermal paste, between cpu and heatsink? I assume yes, but I prefer verify...  ;)

Have you a Intel stock heatsink or other? If other, name it please.

Other thing, the pressure on the cpu by the heatsink have a importance on the system.
Because a cpu have a memory controller.

If the pressure is higher on one side of the cpu is not good.

We really need the pressure of the cooler is balanced on the cpu.
And also not too strong.
Sometimes you need release the pressure, while ensuring it is fully equal on every side.

For other members helpers:
=================

I have a idea, but I am not sure is good... in this Topic... (situation case)...
try increasing the dram voltage to 1.60 is good or no? Maybe this help or no?

Infos about chipset:
http://www.intel.com/content/dam/staging/image/Products/H61-block-diagram.gif
the Intel H61 Express Chipset enables 1 DIMM per channel of DDR3 1333 MHz.

Gloup_Gloup
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 02:12:19 am by Gloup_Gloup »

Lsdmeasap

• Gigabyte Support (TweakTown USA)
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 07:31:50 am »
Installing with a single module might help, but be sure you run memtest86+ too

S-F

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 10:11:22 pm »
Well, I'm on the 8th pass with memtest 86+ and no errors so it looks like it's got to be something else. That's with both sticks in BTW.
I can't get a picture of the BSOD because it's just a flash on the screen.
I don't think it's due to the SSD because I've also tried to boot with my known good Intel X25m and it still fails at the same point. I've also trued booting from the install media with no drive attached at all and I get the BSOD at the same place.
Any other ideas?

Rolo42

• DON'T PANIC!
    • PC Parts List
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 09:17:51 am »
I can't get a picture of the BSOD because it's just a flash on the screen.
Disable automatic reboot in the advanced boot options (hit F8 on startup) to see what the BSOD is.

Lsdmeasap

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 11:42:54 am »
Are you loading additional drivers during the setup process?  If so, don't and see if that helps.

Also, use Windows 7 because if your XP install disk is an old one (Pre-SP1) it will fail to install on a PCIE motherboard.

What graphics are you using, onboard or a card?  If you are using a card, try using onboard instead and see if that helps as well.

Update to the latest BIOS as well, if you are not using it already

S-F

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 11:55:24 am »
I have tried both XP SP3 and 7. There are no additional drivers slipstreamed in. I am using the on board graphics. I will try to update the BIOS right now.

S-F

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 12:25:01 pm »
I updated the BIOS to F3 and I am still having the same issue. It's like there are drives missing or something. I have had this exact same thing happen when changing from RAID to AHCI without employing the proper registry modifications. It would fail at the exact same point.

Here's a capture of the BSOD

Lsdmeasap

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 12:33:20 pm »
When you update the BIOS, be sure you load optimized defaults, then save/apply/reboot back to BIOS, then set any changes you need such as memory voltage, SATA settings, ect.

*Edit*

Yes, that is the infamous 0x7B error dealing with switching from IDE to AHCI or RAID.   You may need to try inserting drivers during setup to get around not, not sure why you are seeing that because windows 7 has AHCI and RAID drivers included, so you shouldn't ever see it with windows 7.   Xp is another beast, and would need F6 via floppy for AHCI or RAID

Try inserting the F6 drivers during install, with Windows 7
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=2101&DwnldID=20625&ProductFamily=Chipsets&ProductLine=Chipset+Software&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Rapid+Storage+Technology&lang=eng

« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 12:36:20 pm by Lsdmeasap »

S-F

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012, 12:57:53 pm »

It would be a good idea to post a complete list of your components by make/model.

MOBO  GA-H61N-USB3 H61
RAM 4 Gx2 PATRIOT PSD38G1600KH R
OCZ PSU   OCZ600MXSP 600W RT
CPU  INTEL|CORE I3 2100 3.1G 3M R
HDD   3 x OCZ Core 2 SSD 30 GB and an Intel X25M 80 GB

I'm going to try to install Windows 7 right now with the drivers ready to be loaded.

EDIT:

I can't. It says Windows Loading Files on a black screen with a simple progress bar and the I get the normal "Starting Windows" screen. It just restarts at the same place, when the orbs start to come together to form the flag.

This sucks.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 01:05:46 pm by S-F »

Lsdmeasap

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2012, 01:32:58 pm »
Are you sure you are loading the correct driver?  What exactly do you select when asked, and did you download the correct driver per your install disk (32/64 bit)?