Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-H61N-USB3 H61 BSOD

S-F

Re: GA-H61N-USB3 H61 BSOD
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2012, 02:03:06 pm »
I don't make it to the screen where it asks you if you want to load drivers. It fails before that. And I did download the correct drivers (X64).

S-F

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2012, 03:59:37 pm »
I just took the SSD out of my desktop and tried it with no luck. I gt the exact same failure. It's not the RAM or the drive. So that leaves the CPU, the MOBO and the PSU. I haven't heard of a DOA CPU but I guess it could happen and I don't know how the PSU could be doing this. I think it's time to warranty the board. How do I go about that?

Lsdmeasap

• Gigabyte Support (TweakTown USA)
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2012, 04:36:20 pm »
Ahh ok, ya then it's not the SSD, that's all it rules out to me.   Maybe burn your installer disk again, this time using the slowest setting.

Your last comments do not rule out the memory, try with only a single stick and a new install DVD before you decide on anything else.

S-F

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2012, 04:46:50 pm »
I'm installing from a USB drive. This machine doesn't have an ODD. I don't even think I have a DVD burner any more. At any rate I haven't used one in years, since I built a file server. I have formatted the USB drive multiple times and have tried to install from two separate drives. And I put the SSD from my machine in and tried to fire it up without wiping the disk. It's a long shot but I have successfully swapped a drive from a FX60 to a C2q for a day or so while I was getting on my feet with no real issues so I figured this would at least boot. Nope. It fails at the same place. I have done plenty of single stick testing. I have tried with each stick independently and in both slots respectively. If I can't install from a USB drive then something (and not the USB drive) is faulty. I install from these drives regularly.

Lsdmeasap

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2012, 05:15:31 pm »
OK, thanks I guess I missed that!  Then be sure you are not using that USB in a USB Hub, and that you are not using the blue USB 3.0 ports, use the middle ones under on top of HDMI and above eSATA, try both sets.

If you are unsure if your USB installer is setup right, test it on another machine, then you'll know for sure if it works properly or not.  If it does not, do it again using Windows 7 USB DVD Download tool.  I know you install from them regularly, but it's worth checking to be sure as it only takes 10 minutes or so to install from USB.

You do have Legacy USB Storage enabled in the BIOS correct?  If not please enable this, it's on the Integrated Peripherals page.

Rolo42

• DON'T PANIC!
    • PC Parts List
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2012, 08:34:34 pm »
I missed the USB thing also.  Methinks when Windows loads drivers, it's resetting your USB ports, breaking the install drive connection.

S-F

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2012, 08:41:28 pm »
I missed the USB thing also.  Methinks when Windows loads drivers, it's resetting your USB ports, breaking the install drive connection.

Whaaaaaattttt?

Are you saying that this board doesn't support installation from a USB drive? If that's the case I want to return it. I've never heard of anything like that before. People do this every day.

And also don't forget that I have installed a SSD with an OS on it and the system fails at the same point. I've actually tried this twice. When I first fired up the machine I forgot to set the boot priority and it booted up the, apparently, existing windows 7 install on the disk. It froze before the desktop was fully loaded though. I never managed to get it back after that first time.

Oh, and the CPU heat sink is seated properly. I checked it.

Rolo42

• DON'T PANIC!
    • PC Parts List
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2012, 02:08:52 am »
I'm not saying anything; I am speculating.

I'll admit, I'm having a hard time following the what-does-or-doesn't-do-what.

You installed Win7 onto an SSD from USB on this computer?  Or did you get an SSD with Win7 already on it and plugged it into this computer?  The former would be useful data, the latter, not so.

S-F

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2012, 02:13:56 am »
I can't install. It fails as soon as the starting windows screen comes on. I also have tried just booting from several drives that already have Windows 7 installed on them.

Lsdmeasap

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2012, 06:01:12 am »

What graphics are you using, onboard or a card?  If you are using a card, try using onboard instead and see if that helps as well.

You do have Legacy USB Storage enabled in the BIOS correct?  If not please enable this, it's on the Integrated Peripherals page.

Any replies in regards to this questions and suggestions?

Show us an image of your current Integrated Peripherals BIOS page, and another image showing how you have your hard drives connected.

Also, you didn't change ANYTHING in the Standard CMOS page for hard drives right?   If so, set it all back to auto/none as you do not need to change anything on that page.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 06:02:58 am by Lsdmeasap »

S-F

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2012, 04:26:16 pm »
On board graphics in use. Legacy USB Storage enabled in the BIOS. I'll get pictures of the screens later. The only thing I have changed for hard drives is setting it to AHCI, as it prompts me to after clearing the CMOS. I have also tried with it set on IDE though.

BTW I have tried multiple known good SATA cables and on both SATA ports.

Rolo42

• DON'T PANIC!
    • PC Parts List
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2012, 05:28:10 pm »
I also have tried just booting from several drives that already have Windows 7 installed on them.
Were they SYSPREPped?

It's like there are drives missing or something...
Here's a capture of the BSOD

I can't see any way around the next proper step: eliminate USB boot-related issues by using a standard IDE/SATA interface from which to install.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 05:30:45 pm by Rolo42 »

Lsdmeasap

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2012, 06:48:45 am »
I agree, trying the install with DVD might help in case it is something in the USB setup making it not install for whatever reason.

Thanks for the answers to my questions!   Do you have a graphics card you can try the install with?   If so you should try that and see if it helps, if you don't have one borrow one or maybe buy a cheap one in town or steal from one of your other computers just so you can test installing with it.   

S-F

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2012, 01:53:07 pm »
I'm not going to go out and buy a DVD burner and a graphics card or anything. If this board doesn't boot from a USB drive (or boot at all for that matter) I'd rather just get a different board.

I'm sorry to be uncooperative but this has eaten way too much of my time. I'm ready to just throw this thing in the trash and get a different board by a different manufacturer. I picked this up because it has a coax SPDIF output and none of the others did but honestly I think I can live without that. If there are any other suggestions that don't involve me buying gear I'm happy to hear them. Otherwise I'm going to try to RMA the board. If that won't fly then this thing is going to the landfill to be replaced with something else.

Rolo42

• DON'T PANIC!
    • PC Parts List
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2012, 06:45:59 pm »
You haven't taken the necessary steps to find the problem; eliminating or confirming USB installation issues is necessary for troubleshooting.  "People do this every day" isn't valid troubleshooting.

You'll throw away an $85 motherboard but won't purchase a $20 optical drive?  Roger that.