Official GIGABYTE Forum

Problem: GA-Z68AP-D3 (rev. 2.0) freeze and BSOD with Ati Video

Problem: GA-Z68AP-D3 (rev. 2.0) freeze and BSOD with Ati Video
« on: February 17, 2012, 06:46:18 pm »

OK, short story about my problems with this Mobo GA-Z68AP-D3 (rev. 2.0):

1. Windows 7 is freezing every morning when I boot first time the computer (need to restart, avoid startup repair because is not repairing anything), after that is not freezing all day. If I shut down the computer for one hour the feezing at boot appears again?   Something needs to be heated inside? WTF

2. ATI 5970 is giving me BSOD after each reboot BUT only when I start the first game that is using 3d, after restart don't give any BSOD's any game I wanna play.  If I close the computer for one hour for example, the BSOD appears again at first game lauch, after restart no BSOD'S Aat all??? Same strange issue, something needs to be warm or what?

3. I installed all Windows 7 variants, 64 bits Ultimate, Proffesional, etc, like 10 Windows installations until now, same results, installed 3 different ATI drivers, all give BSOD's at first game, then works flawless.

4. When wanna install Windows, another problem, need to play with SATA cables because Windows Setup don't like the HDD that I want to install to, after I change some spots, Windows Setup likes all of a sudden the HDD and setup starts, even if I put cables same place like the first time I wanted to install, WTF?   

I tried all 3 Bios variants, I tried optimised defaults, safe Bios defaults, OC, memory at 1333, at 1600, with or without turbo boost

The only thing I solved but NOT HOW I LIKE, I moved the Ati Video Card into 4x Pcie slot and I don't have BSOD's now but I think Im not using the 16x slot and card is lower performance now?   Still first time when I boot Windows 7 freezes at Starting Windows screen.

ANYONE CAN HELP????

RatsAss

Re: Problem: GA-Z68AP-D3 (rev. 2.0) freeze and BSOD with Ati Video
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 08:04:05 pm »
A little more information would go a long way.

CPU,motherboard,PSU,etc

For an example see my sig.

Lsdmeasap

• Gigabyte Support (TweakTown USA)
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 08:13:14 pm »
Are you using the latest BIOS now?   If not please update again via Qflash or DOS, and then also flash the backup BIOS to match the main BIOS as shown here (And always start with optimized defaults, then save/apply/reboot BACK to BIOS and set SATA settings and anything else you need)
http://gigabytedaily.blogspot.com/2011/02/video-guide-how-to-update-your-backup.html

Windows drive should be installed into the first Intel SATA Port (SATA3_0 White against PCB), and your CD/DVD drive on the last Intel ports (SATA_4/5)

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 10:46:12 pm »

Sorry, my specs are:

Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 (rev 2.0) -- latest bios installed FCc
Intel Core i5 2500K 3.30GHz box
Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Dual Channel kit
625w PSU Enermax
ATI 5970 Video Card

The SATA ports are in order, Windows still freezing at first boot
Video card dont give anymore BSOD'S but Im afraid I'm losing performance using it in 4x Pcie slot?

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 09:06:53 pm »

also, if I put the computer to sleep, it never resumes from sleep if I keep it more than half hour in sleep mode

No more bsods whasoever in 4x Pcie slot but the question is, I lose performance if the video card is dual GPU?  is Ati 5970

Lsdmeasap

• Gigabyte Support (TweakTown USA)
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 07:05:50 pm »
Ya, that is not good for performance with such a large GPU.   You may need to RMA this board, sounds like something might be wrong with it.

But wait, does this BSOD only happen in one or two games, or any game?  If it's any game it might be the card itself going bad.

Please test your memory like this, to rule out any module causing the cold boot issue.   At night before you go to sleep, remove one module so that there is only one installed, and then enter the BIOS and save/apply/reboot to windows and then shut down.   In the morning when you wake up go cold boot the machine, and see what it does.   Keep that behavior in mind, then on the next night test the other module the same way, and see how it acts in the morning.   Sometimes cold boot issues like that can be due to a single partially faulty memory module, and that's the best and easiest way to narrow down which one is causing it.