Official GIGABYTE Forum

SSD RAID 0 on 890FXA-UD5 Rev 2.0

SSD RAID 0 on 890FXA-UD5 Rev 2.0
« on: August 01, 2012, 02:21:16 pm »
Hello,

I am trying to setup RAID 0 through the chipset SATA ports with a pair of 60GB OCZ Vertex 2 SSD.  I know not to expect a great performance boost, its more about having the extra space.  When I built my PC, I choose that SSD because it said it was good for RAID, and I knew I would rund out of space and would need to upgrade - prefrably when prices dropped, which they have.

Can anyone tell me how the BIOS should be setup and any other pitfalls to watch out for?

I'm having a hard time getting Win7 Ultimate x64 to install.

I've posted on the OCZ forums and not much help.

Thanks!

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: SSD RAID 0 on 890FXA-UD5 Rev 2.0
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 08:26:01 pm »
Hi there,

check my build review of this motherboard here: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,3619.0.html as I go through setting up a RAID0 Array which might prove helpful. (page 14 of the review)
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Tiger

Re: SSD RAID 0 on 890FXA-UD5 Rev 2.0
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 02:42:42 am »
You need to load drivers for RAID as done on page 15 in the guide.
To get the drivers, go to AMD Support & Drivers
http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/AMDSupportHub.aspx
In the upper right select drivers for Motherboard/Chipset
Product Line: AMD 8 Series Chipsets
Product Model: All 8-Series Chipsets
Window 7 - 64 bit
Click View Results, this takes you to the drivers. Select the 29MB download AMD RAID drivers.
After downloading the .exe file, run the file. This will just extract the compressed files to a folder that you choose.
Go into the folder and look for a sub-folder named Packages, then Drivers, then SBDrv, then SB8xx, then RAID, then W7.
Put the files in the W7 folder on the USB Flash Drive.
Add the driver in the beginning of the Windows 7 installation as on page 15 of the guide.
After you install Windows, you can install AMD RaidXpert Utility from the AMD download page.
1) GA-Z97X-Gaming 7, G3258,
2) GA-990FXA-UD3 Rev. 1.1, FX-8350
3) GA-AM1M-S2P, Sempron 3850 Kabini