Official GIGABYTE Forum

4GB RAM Problem

4GB RAM Problem
« on: December 07, 2009, 02:36:48 pm »
Hi,

I'm running a GA-N650SLI motherboard, previously with 2 x 1GB OCZ ram.

I thought it was time for an upgrade, so purchased 2 x 2GN OCZ ram.

The system isn't stable with the new RAM. I get frequent blue screens, failures to post, BIOS crashes etc.

Initially I suspected bad RAM and so I tested each new stick individually with Memtest86. 20 passes with each module, in different DIMM slots. Orthos also finds no errors when I use a single module at a time, but together they crash within 5 minutes.

I RMA'd the RAM as  I read on the OCZ forum a problem with the SPD settings, and got some more 2X2GB ram sticks AND cheapo 2x1GB sticks.

Same issues with the new RAM.
If I try to go:
1x1GB RAM = Stable
2x1GB RAM = Stable
1x2GB RAM = Stable
2x2GB RAM = Crash
4x1GB RAM = Crash

I Cant seem to go above 2GB of RAM, or more than 2 modules of 1GB only.

I have a good PSU (650W), have not overclocked the system, and have tried underclocking the RAM (PC6400) with no avail.
I have read that boosting the voltage may help, and tried upping the NorthBridge, no luck. Also the RAM is rated at 1.8v, and have tried everything upto 2.1 with no stability.

I'm stumped. I Have purchased the motherboard within 3 years, should it be in warranty?

Re: 4GB RAM Problem
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 08:23:11 pm »
A response would be appreciated.

Pottypete

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 11:26:11 pm »
Hi,
Is your memory on this QVL list?
And are they all the same part no?

http://www.giga-byte.co.uk/FileList/MemorySupport/motherboard_memory_ga-n650sli-ds4.pdf
Cheers
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 11:29:48 pm by Pottypete »

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 01:40:37 am »
No the RAM isn't on the list, but it's not a very extensive list, especially for 2GB sticks. the memory I've been using for a year in the system that waa reccomended to me by gigabyte isn't on that list either. The modules I'm trying are from a kit, so they are all the same. Seems bizzare to me that any kit of pc6400 ddr2 would not run.