Official GIGABYTE Forum

R9 290 Windforce 3X - no video signal

umnut

R9 290 Windforce 3X - no video signal
« on: March 20, 2014, 09:00:06 pm »
Greetings,

After purchasing a r9 290 and installing it, it would seem to not display any sort of video signal to any of the tested monitors (2 items tester so far), regardless of which ports were used (tried DVI and HDMI).

Setup:
CPU: I7-920 @ 3.2 Ghz (2.66 Ghz post CLRCMOS)
Ram 6GB DDR3 @ 1600
Mobo: MSI X-58 Pro
PSU: Nexus 850W

Attempts to fix the issue:
- cleared cmos
- tried different PCI slots
- tried different ports, cables (HDMI/HDMI, VGA/DVI, VGA/HDMI, VGA/DVI-I/HDMI/DVI-D - some with multiple adapters)
- tried older card (GTX 285) in both x16 slots and it worked
- tried 2 different monitors (1 with only a VGA port -adapters used - // One with multiple ports, for which both adapters for the VGA port and a direct HDMI/HDMI cable were seemingly used)

Things that have ostensibly not been attemted, due to reading that people tried the following to no apparent avail:
- update bios (the latest version for my card is mentioned to have come out in 2011, before the R9's launch, so it probably might not make a difference)
- tried it on a different mobo (though the mentioned GTX 285, and a 6950 worked without a problem)

Note: this would be the second R9 290, which, if the culprit, appears to have the same problem as the first one (which was RMA-ed)

Side note: Yes, both the 8pin and 6pin cables were seemingly used, the mobo is mentioned to be compatible, PSU would be okay etc.