Official GIGABYTE Forum

X99 UD4 boot problems

Genesis1

X99 UD4 boot problems
« on: March 26, 2016, 10:23:20 pm »
Everything has been working fine untill I decided to save the current bios on my board (f20) to a usb. I have 3 hdd installed with win 7. Everything was fine. I could use f12 to pick which hdd to boot from. I've been using this x99 with 5820k cpu for around a week with no real issues. That was untill today when I backed up the bios to usb. It backed up fine and I clicked on close at the end. The bios closed but just stopped at a flashing cursor at top left for some time. So I had to press the switch to turn off. I removed the usb stick and booted the pc. It started to boot with the windows logo and then froze. I had to shut down and tried again. To cut a long story short. I've been able to boot with one hdd, and also with the second. However on adding the third everything froze at windows logo again. Have no idea whats going on. Everything has been fine. Now boot problems. Any ideas?  :-\

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: X99 UD4 boot problems
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 11:42:20 pm »
Try clearing the cmos and pull the battery. Put everything back boot load default setting reboot set date and time and see what happens.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

Genesis1

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 11:55:57 pm »
Will try that. Definitely not the hdd's as one minute they freeze at win logo and the next they load. I've read about so many of these problems with this motherboard.

dmdilks

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 04:18:23 am »
I have had that board from day one and never had a boot problem with the HHD drives. I have 4 600-gb / 10.000 rpm drives. I have two 240 gb SSD in raid. and a M2 SSD. I did one time have the DVD drive cause problems. It crash the computer did the same thing that your HHD are doing. Replace the drive and it has been fine.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

Genesis1

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2016, 09:59:42 am »
I have had that board from day one and never had a boot problem with the HHD drives. I have 4 600-gb / 10.000 rpm drives. I have two 240 gb SSD in raid. and a M2 SSD. I did one time have the DVD drive cause problems. It crash the computer did the same thing that your HHD are doing. Replace the drive and it has been fine.
I've unhooked the other drives and just connected that third drive and it boots fine. So nothing wrong with the drive. It's all started from when I simply backed up the bios to a USB and then the bios hanged on closing. The bios keeps resetting itself to when I first installed and shows the choose language screen. Never had such a problem with bios before. Wonder if the motherboard battery needs replacing. Anyway I am going to reset the cmos and put a new battery in. I've tried reseating the memory but that made no difference.
What I have tried is....booting first with 1 drive, then adding the others but as soon as I use the f12 command to choose a drive, it then hangs at the logo screen. Very strange behaviour. I need to nail down what is chocking the boot at logo.

dmdilks

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2016, 01:14:40 pm »
How did you backup the bios. Did you use Q-flash or Save Profile. If you did by Q-flash. The bios is maybe think you didn't finish. I'm having a problem knowing what to do.

I know this kind sound stupid but when it comes to mother board the stupid thing might be the problem. What I would do is try re-flashing the bios again and see what happens.

Genesis1

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2016, 03:01:10 pm »
How did you backup the bios. Did you use Q-flash or Save Profile. If you did by Q-flash. The bios is maybe think you didn't finish. I'm having a problem knowing what to do.

I know this kind sound stupid but when it comes to mother board the stupid thing might be the problem. What I would do is try re-flashing the bios again and see what happens.
Yes I used qflash. Thats what seemed to cause a problem. When it completed the backup it said click on close, which I did, but it then closed to a black screen with flashing cursor top left. As it just stayed like that I had to then power off. Then on next boot up the problem started. So I am convinced itsvthe board or bios causing the problems.

Genesis1

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2016, 07:41:01 pm »
Just noticed.....if I disconnect all hdd and try booting each one seperate with others disconnected they boot. If I reconnect all drives and use f12 to select a boot device the hang at win 7 logo screen. Anyone any ideas. Must be something wrong in the bios for the boot.

Genesis1

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2016, 07:57:13 pm »
Reset cmos, disconnected all but 1 drive, booted to bios reset date and time, loaded default settings. Rebooted. All OK. Added second drive rebooted into first drive OK. Rebooted again and used f12 to boot from second drive. Continued process for third drive tested f12 to choose 3rd drive. So far so good. Will see what happens tomorrow. Also changed 3rd drive sata to different port as well as changing the battery for cmos. Will double check everything again tomorrow to make sure.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 10:32:51 pm by Genesis1 »

Genesis1

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2016, 12:58:33 pm »
Update....still a problem.  Switched on first boot today and hanged at blinking cursor. Switched off and switched on and booted OK. This board is really a pain now as its buggy. You wouldn't expect to buy a brand new car and have it keep breaking down everytime you used it. Don't know how these boards passed to be released. All over the internet I'm reading about problems with these boards. Yes its new tech but does the consumer have to pay to be a guinea pig tester for gigabyte? If I can't sort it soon I'm ditching and getting an asus board as its wasting time and too unreliable. Very dissapointed.

dmdilks

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2016, 01:46:13 pm »
Everything has been working fine untill I decided to save the current bios on my board (f20) to a usb.

Yes I used qflash. Thats what seemed to cause a problem.

What I would do is try re-flashing the bios again and see what happens.

Why is the board at F20? Were you having a problem? They do have a new bios. Plus why did you want to save it in the 1st place? I have been doing this over 30 yrs. I have learn you never mess with the bios unless you are having problems.

My board is at F9c I don't update anything unless I'm having a problem. Plus the only reason it is there I was having a problem with BSOD. But was more the video driver than the board. If I wasn't having those problems it would still be at the bios it came with the 1st release.

You mess with the bios by saving the bios. I still say the board is still not knowing what to do. Because you started to update the bios and never finish. I know you never really got to that point. But that is when all your problems started.

Genesis1

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2016, 02:03:32 pm »
I didn't update the bios at all. I just saved the bios to a usb stick which I had done previous with no problem. Only reason I saved it was just as a back up precaution. The reason i saved it again was because my original usb stick died. On the gigabyte website it shows f20 as the latest stable release and f21a as beta release. Doesn't explain why one minute everything boots with no problems and then the next it doesn't boot at all. Boot up hangs and bios hang problem with this motherboard are posted many places on the internet and youtube. Clearing the cmos and setting defaults should have cleared any problems. I've used and built many systems myself and never had this kind of problem unless there was a fault with the board. Reflashing is riskey as gigabyte state in their own manual thats why I was only saving a backup. Thats why the save option is there. It doesn't say just because you save the bios you have to then reflash it.

dmdilks

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2016, 04:02:49 pm »
How long have you had the board? Plus I understand what you are saying. The things is you didn't have any problems till you did that. Why I can't tell you that why it is doing what it is doing. I don't know what to tell you other I would flash the bios to F20 again. 

Genesis1

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2016, 05:15:50 pm »
I've had the board just over a week.  Yes it does all seem to stem from the bios save/backup. I just tried removing all the ram. Everything booted normal 3 times so added the ram 1 stick then 2 then 4 and rebooted untill I have now put all 16gb back (4x4) in. Everything worked fine again. However the same thing happened yesterday without removing the ram sticks. If it hangs again at start tomorrow I will remove the ram again and see if it is connected to the problem. I'm putting off reflashing untill last resort as I know its a risky business flashing the bios.

Genesis1

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2016, 10:17:42 pm »
Think I have found the problem. Its connected to the usb inputs on the rear of the motherboard. I have found that when my wired usb mouse is connected at boot...it causes this bios/ windows boot hang. If I disconnect it at boot, everything works fine. I can choose which hdd using f12 etc. Not sure what the problem is....but I have read of this problem elsewhere online.