Official GIGABYTE Forum

UD9 + oversized CPU coolers + Tall ram heatspreaders is it possible?

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: UD9 + oversized CPU coolers + Tall ram heatspreaders is it possible?
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2010, 12:00:25 pm »
I'm trying to figure this out.... So there are three hard drive controllers on the UD9. Can any of them break the speed of a Revodrive with 4 combined SSDs in raid 0? I

was looking at raid cards and it looks like they are limited to 70,000 IOPS and 400-600 MBPS. I am hoping to break 75,000 IOPS and 750-1000MBPS.

I think that you will not actually be able to reach that figure in a real world scenario.

Also I don't know much about SSD's. I saw the term TRIM on a few threads, after consulting Wikipedia I learned that it has to do with maintenance and sustaining

performance.... Seems important an important feature to have.

TRIM is definitely a positive feature and most newer SSDs will have it. However as we have found out it is not just a case of enabling TRIM it has to be actually implimented and that is harder to check.

* What drive controller would give me the fastest performance when doing raid 0 and about how fast would that be?  

* What is the fastest raid option (card or onboard) for the GA-X58A-UD9 and how fast would that be? (Sustained/Random Read/Write + IOPS)

Also if there is another forum that you think would better be able to answer this question then point me to it.

As you are in the US this might be a good place for information http://hardforum.com/index.php

The reason why I was looking at the top triple was too keep the ram and miscellaneous parts cool. If I went that route there would be the option of using low ~600 RPM fans, no? Besides not having a big window to show off the system what would be the disadvantages of a second triple quad on the top?

That's a fair comment especially if you are planning to use very large amounts of memory. There is no real downside and the more fans the lower the speed you can use them at, which in general is a good thing although slow doesn't always mean quiet.

Can I overclock the Ram to get a higher speeds or lower latencies?

Yes quite possibly but that is something that you will have to try and nobody can say for sure exactly how the memory or system will behave.

What is the best fan controller out there? I like the idea of something that would lower the RPMs of the fans when under low loads, and I want plenty of safety alarms.

There are many fan controllers available and it is often a subjective view as to which is "best". You will need several if you want to be able to control all the fans you are planning on fitting because most controllers connect a maximum of about six fans.

I would need a pump too. Besides that what else? Flow meters and temp probs?

There is only one pump in my experience that really cuts the mustard and that is the Laing MCP655 vario. It is powerfull, quiet and reliable. As far as flow meters go you could go for an actual metereds flow readout or just a telltale to show that the loop is indeed running properly. Depends how flash you want to be 8) The same with temperture probes mostly depends on the sort of display you want. There are numerous senders and displays to choose from and some will even be integrated into the fan controllers. Mostly personal taste.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 12:17:58 pm by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2010, 06:06:06 pm »
One more thing that has just sprung to mind regarding SSDs or in fact any solid state storage device, you MUST make sure that you have an available backup because unlike a magnetic disk drive if there is a problem any data is gone for ever. It cannot be taken off a SSD like it could be recovered off a normal drive bit by bit if necessary.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2010, 06:51:55 pm »
Maybe I should look into Raid 5 SSD options? I can also just get a back up utility and some magnetic harddrives.

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2010, 07:32:42 pm »
I think that if you are using it for business use it is especially important and maybe an external large hard drive might be the best way to go. That way you don't have all you data on site in case of a disaster.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2010, 02:01:15 am »
What are your thoughts on the S-flex and Kama flow 2 fans?

I read the s flex creates a ticking sound on the lower RPM versions but it seems to have good performance at 1200 RPM or more.

The Kama flow 2 at 900 RPMS is slightly louder and more powerful then the 800RPM gentle typhoon.  Should I go with those for the top 12 fans? What about the front and back fans? Should I look for something a little more powerful? Which fan filters are best? What about vibration reduction devices (for the fans)?

Here is some information that I have on the fans:

Kama FLow 2:

Fan Speed: 900 RPM
Noise Level: 11 dBA
Airflow: 30.54 CFM

Fan Speed: 1400 RPM
Noise Level: 27.6 dBA
Airflow: 47.5 CFM

Fan Speed: 1900 RPM
Noise Level: 33.8 dBA
Airflow: 63.23 CFM

Gentle typhoon:

Fan Speed: 800 RPM
Noise Level: 9 dBA
Airflow: 28.3 CFM

Fan Speed: 1,150 RPM
Noise Level: 16 dBA
Airflow: 37.1 CFM

Speed: 1450 RPM
Airflow: 45.9 CFM
Noise: 21 dBA

Speed: 1850 RPM
Airflow: 57.68062 CFM
Noise: 28 dBA

S-flex:

Fan Speed: 800 RPM
Noise Level: 8.7 dBA
Airflow: 33.5 CFM

Fan Speed: 1200 RPM
Noise Level: 20.1 dBA
Airflow: 49 CFM

Fan Speed: 1600 RPM
Noise Level: 28 dBA
Airflow: 63.7 CFM

Fan Speed: 1900 RPM
Noise Level: 35 dBA
Airflow: 75 CFM

I should probably use one loop with a quad Rad if I'm not water cooling my video cards (initially at least), correct? I should use a higher speed fan for the Radiator, right?  Should I put radiator on the top or bottom of the side panel? Is it ok to set the radiator up to exhaust from the case? Is it better to put the radiator on the far side from the motherboard? Should I use two fans per radiator slot (push + pull)? Is there a special mounting bracket that I should use? It looks like the motherboards water-cooling block has 3/8" fittings... Should I run it on a separate loop as the CPU which would be on the 1/2" standard?

With the fan controller issue... I could use splitters to put multiple fans of the same time on one control right? It seems like I would be fine using a simple dial controller for most of the fans, but there might be advantages to using a thermostat based system for the water cooling fans. Should I get a pump controller? What do think of this unit?

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/8425/bus-178/Koolance_CTR-CD10SL_525_Pump_and_Fan_Speed_Controller_-_Silver.html?tl=g47c17s286

How about this one?

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/8812/koo-174/Koolance_TMS-200_Software_Thermal_Interface_Controller.html?tl=g30c229s882

What do think of this for a flow meter?

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/6876/ex-flo-05/Thermaltake_Flow_TX_Plus_Flow_Meter_w_Temperature_Indicator_CL-W0138.html?tl=g30c101s457

What fittings and tubes do you recommend? I like silver or black hose.

Should I get a fillport or drain? If so, which one?

How about the reservoir? How do you set up a level sensor?

Is quantum from TIM consulates any good or should I look for a more proven TIM? I did see that there 0098 produce did well on benchmarks and they claim quantum is 44% better.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 02:05:11 am by Ineedhelp4realyo »

« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2010, 02:47:04 am »
There is a way to control the radiator fans using the motherboard or software right? Should I use the PWN fan controller for anything? The instructions say I can use a splitter with it. 

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2010, 07:08:35 am »
Hi This thread is getting a bit like "War and Peace"  ;D

I should probably use one loop with a quad Rad if I'm not water cooling my video cards (initially at least), correct? I should use a higher speed fan for the Radiator, right? 

Yes to the first part and it doesn't really matter on the speed of the fans as long as there is enough cool air passing through the radiator.

Should I put radiator on the top or bottom of the side panel?

Entirely up to you. I always like to err on the side of caution when designing a cooling loop and consider if there was to be a leak where would gravity take the water. ;)

Should I use two fans per radiator slot (push + pull)? Is there a special mounting bracket that I should use?

It is only slightly more effective to use a push/pull confguration but can add considerably to the noise. The radiator/fans will bolt directly to the case.

It looks like the motherboards water-cooling block has 3/8" fittings... Should I run it on a separate loop as the CPU which would be on the 1/2" standard?

No I would just use reducers to fit the pipe. I know it will have a slightly restricting flow effect but it will not be as much as you would think. ;) If this bothers you at all there is a different block that is compatible and allows the use of 1/2" fittings. See here:

http://www.aquatuning.co.uk/product_info.php/info/p5965_MIPS-GIGABYTE-EX58-Extreme-Fusionblock-Nickel.html
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2010, 07:19:41 am »
What are your thoughts on the S-flex and Kama flow 2 fans?

The Kama Scythe Gentle Typhoons are better because it is not just the noise of thje fan it is also the type of noise generated. These fans are much easier on the ear than most.

With the fan controller issue... I could use splitters to put multiple fans of the same time on one control right?

No problem as long as the load on each controller doesn't exceed the makes recommendations.

It seems like I would be fine using a simple dial controller for most of the fans, but there might be advantages to using a thermostat based system for the water cooling fans.

Yes your choice. Just can be a little more complex to install.

Should I get a pump controller?

Personally I am not in favour of pump controllers. More to go wrong and I like to think my coolant is flowing all the time no problem!
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2010, 07:32:39 am »
What do think of this for a flow meter?
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/6876/ex-flo-05/Thermaltake_Flow_TX_Plus_Flow_Meter_w_Temperature_Indicator_CL-W0138.html?tl=g30c101s457

Fine. The same as I have used in one of my machines.

What fittings and tubes do you recommend? I like silver or black hose.

Entirely up to you. The best quality hose you can get is Tygon as used in laboritories. It will outlast any other tubing and stay looking nice. 3603.

Should I get a fillport or drain? If so, which one?

Yes, defintitely. Again up to you what make/model.

{quote]How about the reservoir? How do you set up a level sensor?[/quote]

That's what god gave us eyes for ;D Once it is filled and the air purged it won't need refilling until you come to change the fluid(annually).

Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2010, 10:11:06 am »
There is a way to control the radiator fans using the motherboard or software right? Should I use the PWN fan controller for anything? The instructions say I can use a splitter with it.  

I would recommend getting a small fan about 80mm and use the pwm controller to power that. You can mount it to cool the power phases  around the CPU that would normally be cooled by the CPU fan as a secondary function. It will help to increase their lifespan as they do get quite hot. If you want to see what I mean you can check mout my pictures of my setup here: http://www.darkmantis.co.uk

Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2010, 03:07:47 am »
How would I mount the 80mm fan? I could find a 120MM PMW fan that I could put in the case over that part of the motherboard.

I think your right about the pump controller. Obviously if the controller fails it could be very bad. How about the fan controllers? Do you know of one that will reliably control the radiator fans based on the actual temperature of the liquid?

With the rest of the fans maybe I should go with the 1050 RPM version and turn them down on a controller? That would give me an option to turn a couple up more for spot cooling.

It feels like this is coming along. I hope to order the rest of the parts soon.

So to complete my project I would get the following:

Extended U2-UFO:

Front Opti-1203
Horizon Brace
10PCI w/HB
HPTX
Left Big Window
Right Triple Quad
op Triple Quad

Water cooling:

* Thermaltake Flow TX Plus Flow Meter w/ Temperature Indicator (CL-W0138)
* Laing D5 Vario/Swiftech MCP655 Inline 12V DC Pump
* Some kind of reservoir (I'm guessing bigger is better?)
* Swiftech Apogee XT CPU Waterblock
* "Quantum" from tim Consultants
* Quad 120mm radiator (which one?)* Some type of fan controller that would run off of the temature of the coolent and offfer an alarm solution if tematures rise pas a certain pint
* 1450 RPM gentle typhoon fans
* Fittings for the tubes (which is best quality)
* non conductive coolent such as Feser1 or Primochill Ice. (someone else recommend thermaltakes brand)
* X number of feet of Tygon Silver or black hose (pvc or neoprene?)
* clamps such as this one http://www.petrastechshop.com/ststwohocl.html
* reduction adapters for the motherboard.
* A fan controller that would work based on the actual temperature of the coolant.

Other things:

* More Gentle typhoon fans for the rest of the case (lower RPM)
* Some type of PMW fan solution to keep the area around the CPU cold.
* Air filters for all fans
* Vibration reduces for all fans?
* High watt fan controller to tweak fan speeds (Sunbeam Rheobus Extreme?)
* Thermostate based fan controller to use for some of the fans so that the speeds will increase automatically if needed Scythe KAZE SERVER Multi Function
* Wire sleeving kits?

Is there anything else that I could possibly want? Any additional recommendations that you might have would be much appreciated. Thanks again for all of the help!

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2010, 08:32:04 am »
Hi

How would I mount the 80mm fan? I could find a 120MM PMW fan that I could put in the case over that part of the motherboard.

It doesn't have to be an 80mm fan a 60mm would do it is only to supply some cooling airflow to that area. I made a bracket out of acrylic sheet so that it didn't show but anything like that would do.

How about the fan controllers? Do you know of one that will reliably control the radiator fans based on the actual temperature of the liquid?

There are controllers out there that do this. I believe that Scythe make one.

Reservoir - bigger is not necessarily better. Once fitted it only takes more coolant to fill a bigger reservoir.

Radiator - Lot of cr*p talked about radiators. There has been some interesting studies done recently and most perform within small amounts of each other. Just make sure you get well made ones.

Fittings - Bitspower do a nice range but as long as you stick to one make to have uniformity I don't think there's a lot to choose.

Coolant - Any you prefer the only thing is I would recommend to use clear as the colourant can drop out of the dyed versions and cause small blockages.

Clamps - As shown would be fine. Do not over tighten though.

Tubing - Tygon is a special type of tubing that withstands  most chemical and biological agents and is neither neoprene nor PVC.

Alarm - incorporated into you flow solution (Thermaltake Flow TX Plus Flow Meter w/ Temperature Indicator (CL-W0138))

I think that covers most everything although there is bound to be something that we have missed (otherwise the Law of Sod wouldn't exist).
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 08:34:09 am by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2010, 09:43:41 pm »
A few updates:

I talked with MM and they say the case is not large enough to run radiators with the SR-2 motherboard (in case I want to go that route). The suggested in extended ascension. This would limit me to "triple 120mm radiators". The tech recommended that I use fans with a 100 CFM maximum output. He also said the black ice GTX was the highest performing radiator.

Does this all sound correct to you?

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2010, 09:50:48 pm »
I believe the Black Ice is the top performer at the moment but it needs plenty of airflow to reach it's maximum potential. As I said before there really isn't that much in it. The triple 120s should be fine. As far as the case goes then you must take their advice on that if that motherboard is what you have in mind.
Sounds like you are getting nearer now ;D
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2010, 12:08:58 am »
Do you have any thoughts on the Ultra Kaze Series of fans? The 3000 RPM model will push 130CFM on the maximum setting.