Official GIGABYTE Forum

880GMA UD2H, amd 955 new cpu fan error

880GMA UD2H, amd 955 new cpu fan error
« on: October 12, 2010, 08:04:33 pm »
Hi,

This is my second post here, i have the above items -plus an HD5770 and a Winpoaer 450w psu which is the bad apple i think.
I first bought an Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro64 and i was getting motherboard beeps (error indicating 1 lond 2 short or no beeps or either contant beeps)
but for as long it worked the results were really really poor. almost same as stock.
Then i got a Zalman 9700 Led (and cut my hands in installation) and got it to work for 3 hours (open case full speed temp 48 stable with prime95)
BUT the i was getting the 3 long beeps (which make my ears bleed) and finally i reinstalled the stock one and all work fine again.

Can it be a problem of the psu?
or is it the mobo?
how much power can a cpu fan drain!?
The thing is that when i removed the gpu i was getting the 1 long 2 short which i thing is for the vga.
I have it in my plans to buy a fair psu http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/components/powersupplies/OCZ/OCZ600SXS2-UK.html
but i want to be sure that this is the issue and not get the same results again.

thank you

i have installed the cpu fan - all 3 of them -  over 10 times last month and the only one i got to work stable is the stock one.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: 880GMA UD2H, amd 955 new cpu fan error
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 08:15:51 pm »
Hi again
Although this isn't really my patch I would tend to agre with you regarding the PSU. The board is recommended to run off a 550 W pSU anyway and then by the time you add  whatever drives and a 5770 GPU I am not suprised that it is struggling. If it is not new as well it has already lost some of it's original output power. I wouls suggest trying a new one of at least 650W and preferably a single 12 V rail.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 01:49:07 pm »
Thanks for the reply. I ll go for a http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-200-CM&utm_source=froogle
as it is the only ''good'' name one in my budget. I hope that will fix it.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 01:57:00 pm »
Hi there,

It does seem strange that the CPU Coolers that you have bought should struggle so much to fire up whilst the standard one works OK. I have a Noctua Cooler and the fans on that do not like the ramped voltage that is supplied from the CPU header on the motherboard so I actually run mine directly from the PSU which does mean they always run at full speed. If you decide to try this then you will need to disable the Cool and Quiet aspects of the CPU in BIOS and also disable the warnings in BIOS, so they don't kick in. The Cool & Quiet control can be disabled in Advanced BIOS Features. CPU Smart Fan control can be disabled under the PC Health Status Menu where you should also disable the CPU Smart Fan Mode and the  Warnings if they are enabled..

You can also disable the above features and still use the CPU Cooler Header. This will make the Cooler always run at full speed but might allow the Zalman and Arctic Cooler to run properly.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 03:29:35 pm »
Thank you for the reply always helpful absic!

I think i have connect it directly to the psu but without disabling the cpu fan controls and ii got the 3 long beeps again. I really dont want to put again
another cpu fan and get the same results and Zalman actually in full speed is quite loud! I will get the new psu first which is something i should have done already actualy but this has to wait for the next month. I like getting my hands dirty and playing around with my pc but i just want it to work for now. Hope that the new psu is going to solve all the issues.

Thank you both again. This is  a very helpful and trustworthy forum!

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 05:03:37 pm »
As a matter of interest have you tried running your Mobo without the 5770 installed and just using the on-board graphics?

As your PSU power is a little on the low side removing the 5770 would show if the problem is just due to power or if there is another problem that we are missing. Before you remove the 5770, remember to reset BIOS to make the on-board GPU the default or you won't get anything on your monitor!  :o
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 10:42:21 am »
I will try and do it again properly at some point. But when i was getting the 3 long beeps from the mobo i removed the 5770 but i got
1 long and 2 short beeps indicating issue with the graphics. the monitor was conected to the mobo but i dont know if the on board graphics
were enabled. I removed the battery and power for 10-15 secs (in order to reset BIOS setting so on board get enabled hopefully) and tried again with same results. I ll check again what are my settings in BIOS. I guess if the on board is disabled then thats why i was getting mobo beeps
indicating problem with graphics (1long 2 short) and thats why i was getting 3 long beeps (mobo-psu error) when 5770 installed indicating i need to change my psu which is something i have to do anyway....