Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-X58a-UD3R: No sound from rear speaker jacks

user01

GA-X58a-UD3R: No sound from rear speaker jacks
« on: January 08, 2011, 05:16:32 pm »
So I've just done a fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate with this board, and although the sound works fine from the front headphone jacks, the rear speakers jacks don't work at all.

When I plug the headphones/speakers in at the back, the audio drivers/software recognises it, and shows me which one I've connected it to, just no sound comes out.  I've tried multiple speakers/headphones and I've got the volume in the test application on full.

Any suggestions before I take this board back?  I doubt it's a driver problem because the audio works through the headphone jacks.  The only thing I can think of is that the ports at the back are broken.

NFAUS

Re: GA-X58a-UD3R: No sound from rear speaker jacks
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 07:34:45 am »
I had a similar issue.  Resolved it by setting the sound to 7.1 and then 'removing' the side speakers (uncheck the box).  Ensure jacks are in correct panel positions (can be a bit confusing on the rear vs side).

Diablito

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 05:18:12 pm »
I had the exact same issue. I thought the port was broken but after about 4 hours trying to figure what the heck was wrong I got it.
It turns out that when you plug-in a set of stereo speakers in the back (green outlet), the Reltek HD Audio Manager software routes the audio to REAR SPEAKER OUT. Now, this is misleading because that's exactly what we are doing. Pluging in a set of speakers in the rear. But this is not what they mean. They mean the rear speakers in a multichannel setup. (4, 5.1 or 7.1)
So, all you have to do is when you get prompted: "which device did you plug in?" is set it to "Headphones"

If you mistakenly accepted the default, just open up Reltek HD Audio Manager and right click on the green icon where you just plugged in your "speakers" Click on "Connector Re-tasking" and set it to "HEADPHONES"

That's all.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 06:06:31 pm »
Another thing to watch out for is if you still have the headphoes etc pluggged in at the front it will disable the rear speaker outlets.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB