Official GIGABYTE Forum

Will there be an am3+ board with 2 lan ports?

Will there be an am3+ board with 2 lan ports?
« on: September 28, 2011, 10:55:17 am »
I always had a two lan boards and I thought that I would buy a new bulldozer supporting gigabyte board, but I found out that u dropped that feature from high end AMD boards, I just want to know why?

teknology9

Re: Will there be an am3+ board with 2 lan ports?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 11:11:01 am »

Hello,

The only one I know is this one - http://uk.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3781#ov

Teknology9
Windows 11Home Edition
NZXT Phantom
Seasonic Platinum 1000w
Noctua NH-U12P SE2
Corsair 16GB 3200
Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite V2 Rev 1.5
MSI GeForce GTX 1650 D6 Gaming X 4G
Ryzen 5 5600
Samsung 970 Evo Plus - 250GB
Samsung 830 SSD - 250GB
PC building.........it's no fun if it's easy!!!

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 11:23:50 am »
I forgot to specify that it has to be a sli board not crossfire. 990fx.

I know about that board.

The first thing i was waiting on was amd sli support and when the new boards came out ithought the new 990fxa-ud7 would have a 2 x lan.

I was disappointed, thats why I m asking if there is one planed or will it be in the near future.

I m not a native english speaker so pardon my english :D

teknology9

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 11:38:03 am »

Hello,

Yes, I did the same and looked to see if there were 2 LAN ports but alas no.

By the way.......there is nothing wrong with your england!!!!!! ;D

Seriously, your english is fine.

Teknology 9
Windows 11Home Edition
NZXT Phantom
Seasonic Platinum 1000w
Noctua NH-U12P SE2
Corsair 16GB 3200
Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite V2 Rev 1.5
MSI GeForce GTX 1650 D6 Gaming X 4G
Ryzen 5 5600
Samsung 970 Evo Plus - 250GB
Samsung 830 SSD - 250GB
PC building.........it's no fun if it's easy!!!

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 12:56:18 pm »
AnarchoS, may I ask why you need to have 2 integrated LAN ports? Is it because you do not like to have add-on cards, or because your mainboard is filled with them and you have no suitable free slots for them?

Have you considered using an add-on card? If the above reasons are not an issue, then you can go for it...
In fact, I use only an add-on card and disable the integrated one. While many may scorn me, it may even have some advantages: it may be galvanically somewhat more isolated from the chipset. I know that it may now sound dubious because the schematic layout is similar... Fortunately, the times when such functionality was integrated in the southbridge are over, as the induced electricity in a (typically) long Ethernet cable from a lightning strike could electrically break down the LAN controller chip. And perhaps even more, who knows. If it were integrated in the southbridge, it would kill the whole southbridge, thus killing the whole mainboard. I believe this is why manufacturers have abandoned the practice. Nowadays the difference in the galvanic integration between an add-on card and an integrated one is much smaller, if any, but who knows, it may still make a difference.

However, you can bet that if lightning strikes a lightning rod in your vicinity and given a sufficient length of the LAN cable, then without a surge suppressor, the LAN controller will be damaged, no doubts about it. I remember such a case in a small observatory—all the connected NICs, whether integrated or add-on ones, were damaged and unusable. And so were most power supplies. But otherwise the computers were undamaged. In fact, a friend of mine who runs a computer shop says that he keeps a lot of NICs and power supplies in his store precisely for this reason and he giggles that he watches the weather reports, checks his stockpiles and orders the NICs and power supplies accordingly, so that he may have an ample supply of them from his store...

Oh, that was so grossly off-topic...! Back on topic:
the GA-890FXA-UD5, revision 3.1 is unavailable, as far as I know. Oh, I would be so glad if it were!

Perhaps the real reason why they dropped the additional LAN interface is that it was raising the cost of the mainboard and taking some precious space on the back panel—but here, it is probably the necessity of another NIC controller chip, as there still seems to be some empty space left...
Thucydides: "There will be justice in Athens when those who are not injured are as outraged as those who are injured."

Mario1

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 02:47:12 pm »
As Antikapitalista said - you could go with a PCI add-on card or something.
I don't think, that Gigabyte will spoil their newer models that aren't released yet by answering that question.