Official GIGABYTE Forum

GAMA770UD3 rev 2.1+Phenom X6 1090T, can I run Gskill F2-8500CL5D@1066 speed ?

NicoX

Hi All,
This is my first post to the forum, please forgive if my post is not in the right section.
My mobo is GAMA770UD3 rev 2.1 and am willing to use Phenom X6 1090T 3.2 GHz CPU.
I am also planning to buy a DDR2 RAM that can be overclocked to 1066.
I picked Gskill F2-8500CL5D from the QVL of GAMA770UD3.
I have two questions to the Gurus... ???

1. Can I use Gskill F2-8500CL5D at 1066 FSB or my board does not support 2.0~2.1V for over clocking. If it does can you tell me what is the timing and what voltage should be safest to setup it. And where in the BIOS can I find those (I am new to these)?

2. Can I use Cooler Master Hyper 212+ as a CPU cooler without making closest RAM slot/s empty? Is it also possible with the two cooler fans fitted with 212+?  (I mean does Hyper 212+ 's bottom hits a Gskill F2-8500CL5D 's top or it is easy to fit. Gskill F2-8500CL5D is not very taller I guess)
Regard
NicoX,

i5 4600K | 8GB x 4  GSkill Ripjaws X | Phantaks CPU Cooler
Gigabyte GAZ87X-OC | MSI GTX 760 HAWK | DLink DWA 556
Seasonic 850 X Glod
In Cooler Master HAF 912 Advanced

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Hi there,

You should be able to run your RAM at your chosen speed and in BIOS you can find the page for setting Voltage, Timings etc., under the MIT section. You will need to change things from AUTO to Manual to unlock them.

You will need to update to the latest FKD BIOS before you install a 1090T processor and I would recommend that you use QFlash to do this.

Sorry, I can't answer the question with regards to the Hyper212 and if RAM will fit but hopefully, someone else will be able to answer this one for you. I run the Noctua NH-D14 and I had to remove the top heatsinks off of my Corsair Dominator modules to get them to fit.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
It sounds like another case for the chainsaw!!!

In all seriousness you could always mod one of the heatsinks if necessary.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

NicoX

Hi absic,
Thanks for you time......
Its been just awesome to find your first post is been answered by two mods. I really appreciate that :)
You should be able to run your RAM at your chosen speed and in BIOS you can find the page for setting Voltage, Timings etc., under the MIT section. You will need to change things from AUTO to Manual to unlock them.
You will need to update to the latest FKD BIOS before you install a 1090T processor and I would recommend that you use QFlash to do this.
Ok so I will need to update to FKD BIOS in my GAMA770UD3 rev2.1 (I will go and read details in MIT section in BIOS) . But being a newone in BIOS update can you please explain how to use QFlash step by step. I know I am bothering  :-[ .

Sorry, I can't answer the question with regards to the Hyper212 and if RAM will fit but hopefully, someone else will be able to answer this one for you. I run the Noctua NH-D14 and I had to remove the top heatsinks off of my Corsair Dominator modules to get them to fit.
Ok I need a good RAM where I can over clock to 1066 and for that I thought GSkill (the model above) would be good. I am requesting you can you suggest me any good RAM has good capability of overclocking and a friend of my BIOS. Can you again suggest the best timing and voltage to make RAM run in 1066 (means kinda 5-5-5-15 and 2.0~2.1  ::) ) ?

Regard
NicoX,

Seasonic 850 X Glod

absic

• Bandcamp
Hi NicoX,

If you check here: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,2441.msg13929.html#msg13929 there is a "How To" guide for updating BIOS with QFlash.

I would need to do a bit of digging before I could suggest RAM for you and of course, you may be limited to what you can actually get in your part of the world. The GSkill are usually pretty good when it comes to pushing them but sadly no-one can guarantee that they will work as you hope. When it comes to overclocking things either work or they don't, and you need to bear that in mind when making your purchases.

With timings, voltages and other BIOS settings , that really will depend on what RAM you actually get and how they function when you install them at default settings. Once you have done this and have some idea of how things are working then you can move forward with upping the speed and altering timings.

Just a thought but you may actually find that running your RAM at stock speed and tightening the timings will actually give you better performance and is another option to think about.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

NicoX

Hi NicoX,

If you check here: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,2441.msg13929.html#msg13929 there is a "How To" guide for updating BIOS with QFlash.

I would need to do a bit of digging before I could suggest RAM for you and of course, you may be limited to what you can actually get in your part of the world. The GSkill are usually pretty good when it comes to pushing them but sadly no-one can guarantee that they will work as you hope. When it comes to overclocking things either work or they don't, and you need to bear that in mind when making your purchases.

With timings, voltages and other BIOS settings , that really will depend on what RAM you actually get and how they function when you install them at default settings. Once you have done this and have some idea of how things are working then you can move forward with upping the speed and altering timings.

Just a thought but you may actually find that running your RAM at stock speed and tightening the timings will actually give you better performance and is another option to think about.
Ohh dear
What a nice post  :D
I will definitely go the way you said. I will read the link you suggested.  But FKD BIOS is a beata BIOS should I update it?
So I am not going with Gskill F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK for now. Please suggest me a RAM when you get free time and then only I will go for it.
One last question do you have any idea of a good north bridge cooler for my mobo GAMA770UD3 rev 2.1?  I hope it is running hotter in HAF 912 Advanced and believe me I really love my mobo.
Thank you.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 08:50:28 am by NicoX »
Regard
NicoX,

Seasonic 850 X Glod

NicoX

Hi Dark Mantis
How are you ? Thanks for your response.
It sounds like another case for the chainsaw!!!
In all seriousness you could always mod one of the heatsinks if necessary.
I have not purchased the RAM yet waiting for you guys suggestion. I will revert any change.
Thanks
Regard
NicoX,

Seasonic 850 X Glod

absic

• Bandcamp
Hi again,

if you want to run the 1090T processor then yes, you need to update the BIOS to the FKD and don't worry that it is being shown as Beta. The GA-790XTA-UD4 that my son uses has been running the F4A beta BIOS for over a year and still no update!

I'm not sure which would be the best RAM for you to get as the choices here in the UK are pretty limited now, when it comes to DDR2 modules. If you could post back with some links to the modules you are thinking of getting and that are available where you are, it would be easier to offer advice.

NicoX

Hi mate
I'm not sure which would be the best RAM for you to get as the choices here in the UK are pretty limited now, when it comes to DDR2 modules. If you could post back with some links to the modules you are thinking of getting and that are available where you are, it would be easier to offer advice.

As you can see I am from India and we can get RAM modules of Corsair, Kingston, Gskill etc.
So I have thought of any budget RAM of 1066 that GAMA-770-UD3 supports.
As from Gskill http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=57
From Carsair CM2X2048-8500C5D (sorry can't find the link in corsair site).
I am attaching the pdf of supporting memory modules for GAMA770-UD3
Regard
NicoX,

Seasonic 850 X Glod

teknology9

Hi,

The Corsair memory finder facility can be found here - http://www.corsair.com/learn_n_explore/

select memory finder / System Type - Motherboard / manutacturer - Gigabyte/ Select the model - I think your board is towards the bottom.

Hope this helps.

teknology9
Windows 10 Home Edition
NZXT Phantom
Seasonic Platinum 1000w
Noctua NH-U12P SE2
Corsair 16GB 2666
Gigabyte B460M AORUS PRO
MSI GeForce GTX 1650 D6 Gaming X 4G
i5- 10400
Samsung 970 Evo Plus - 250GB
Samsung 830 SSD - 250GB
PC building.........it's no fun if it's easy!!!

NicoX

Hi teknology9
Thanks a billion for your post.
Hi,
The Corsair memory finder facility can be found here - http://www.corsair.com/learn_n_explore/
select memory finder / System Type - Motherboard / manutacturer - Gigabyte/ Select the model - I think your board is towards the bottom.
Hope this helps.
teknology9

But I can not find my mobo there, at max the dropdown list matches with GA-MA770-DS3 not GA-MA770-UD3.
That why I got confused how to choose memory for GA-MA770-UD3  ::)
Thanks anyway have a happy day.
Regard
NicoX,

Seasonic 850 X Glod

teknology9

Hi,

You could also go onto the Corsair forum:

http://www.corsair.com/

Corsair Homepage / Community / Forum - Then click on the memory link , somebody may be able to help you further once you have registered of course.

Hope this helps,

Teknology9
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 08:30:11 am by teknology9 »
Windows 10 Home Edition
NZXT Phantom
Seasonic Platinum 1000w
Noctua NH-U12P SE2
Corsair 16GB 2666
Gigabyte B460M AORUS PRO
i5- 10400
Samsung 830 SSD - 250GB

absic

• Bandcamp
Hi there,

the choice of DDR2 is getting more limited but at Corsair any of these should be OK http://www.corsair.com/memory-by-product-family/xms-classic.html

These are all 800MHz sticks and as I said before you will probably see better day-to-day performance from 800MHz RAM with thighter timings rather than running 1066MHz with looser timings.

Not sure if you can buy from a UK retailer or if you can find these modules in India but have a look through this list at Crucial: http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/listparts.aspx?model=GA-MA770-UD3%20(rev.%201.0)&Cat=RAM although they are stated as being for the Rev1.0 for your motherboard they will work OK on the other revisions and there are a couple of kits here that will run at 1066MHz.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 08:37:16 am by absic »

teknology9

Hi,

This may help also, there is a write up about your MB and the memory included in the test setup:

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/19763-gigabyte-ga-ma770-ud3-am2-am3-motherboard-review-9.html

see memory type.

Windows 10 Home Edition
NZXT Phantom
Seasonic Platinum 1000w
Noctua NH-U12P SE2
Corsair 16GB 2666
Gigabyte B460M AORUS PRO
i5- 10400
Samsung 830 SSD - 250GB

NicoX

Hi guys,

First thing I updated BIOS to FKD. It was very easy.
I downloaded the BIOS it was in the .exe form.
Double clicked it and it gives birth to three new files.
I copied all three files to a FAT32 formatted USB stick.
Rebooted with stick plugged in and pressing END key went to QFlash and done the update. Now I can see BIOS vs as FKD (main = FKS, backup = FI) by pressing F9 in BIOS setup.

And yeh @teknology9 & @absic
I checked that DDR2 RAMs are getting fewer. I checked the links you posted all good RAMs. Now I am searching Crucial If I get I will buy one. :)

« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 07:35:49 am by NicoX »
Regard
NicoX,

Seasonic 850 X Glod