Official GIGABYTE Forum

Second faulty Gigabyte card in two months, GV-R697OC-2GD Windforce OC

First up i got to say that i feel extremely unlucky that i have received two faulty cards of the same model consecutively.

First card i received wouldn't even start in my PC, just caused sparks and white smoke to billow from where the CPU is, card was RMA within 6 days.

Second card seemed to function normally for about 3 weeks, up until this point. I was getting regular display crashes (Display driver crashed and has successfully recovered) and just today i tried to uninstall CCC 11.11 to go back to 11.10 (Cause i thought there might be a driver issue when playing Skyrim). But it wasn't, it most likely was a hardware issue. tried to reinstall 11.10 with the Card in slot 1, kept telling me it could not find the INF driver or something along those lines.

So i boxed up my 6970 after fully convinced that the card was failing, and i put my old faithful Gigabyte 6950 2gb flashed back in. Reinstalled CCC 11.11 without a hitch, no INF driver errors, no more display crashes, it is functioning as it was since the end of last year.

i wanna see if anyone else has had trouble with this model, cause two times in a row cannot be coincidence.

PS: After fully uninstalling CCC + drivers, i used ATIuninstallman, Driver sweeper, driver cleaner to fully rid my system of ATI.

MOBO: Asus P6X58D-E
CPU: Intel i7 950 3.06Ghz
RAM: Kingston DDR3 1066Mhz 6GB
PSU: Corsair TX850

« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 01:22:26 pm by Meevinman »

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: Second faulty Gigabyte card in two months, GV-R697OC-2GD Windforce OC
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 01:30:54 pm »
Hi and welcome.

I can only go on what I have seen here on the forum, but there certainly hasn't been many instances of problems with this card at all. Sorry that I can't help further than that but I can't remember actually seeing any reports of issues with this particular GPU. You can always do a search of the forum to check. :-\
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Goraz

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 05:21:44 pm »
Sounds some what similar to the problems I'm having with the very same card.
I posted a similar question today.
Maybe we got a bad batch in Aus or something.

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 08:56:57 pm »
First card i received wouldn't even start in my PC, just caused sparks and white smoke to billow from where the CPU is
So you had sparks and smoke coming from your computer, and thought it would be a good idea to just stick another new video card in there?

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 01:36:43 am »
First card i received wouldn't even start in my PC, just caused sparks and white smoke to billow from where the CPU is
So you had sparks and smoke coming from your computer, and thought it would be a good idea to just stick another new video card in there?

After waiting for the new 6970 of the exact same model to arrive, i was using the 6950 as my main card, and my system was running perfectly. Right now the card is in the same slot and it's still running fine.

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 01:39:30 am »

Yeah, sucks big time  >:(

Where abouts did you purchase your card from? I got mine from MWAVE.

Goraz

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 02:49:21 am »

Yeah, sucks big time  >:(

Where abouts did you purchase your card from? I got mine from MWAVE.

PC Case Gear