Official GIGABYTE Forum

BIOS Flash Fail- Does Clearing CMOS Help?

BIOS Flash Fail- Does Clearing CMOS Help?
« on: January 10, 2012, 06:45:30 pm »
Info:

Z68A-D3H-B3  (Rev. 1.3)
Intel i7-2600k @ 3.8ghz
8GB ram
Radeon HD 6950 2GB
Windows 7 SP1
LG Blu-Ray R/W
Azza Hurricane 2000 Case

Issue: i just unboxed my computer last week. I installed all windows 7 updates and drivers for my hardware, etc.  I used the @BIOS application to flash Bios from F6 to F11. The application notified that it was successful in updating flash. However, upon reboot, i got the BSOD. I then downloaded the F6 version onto a flashdrive and attempted to restore to F6 version through the Q-flash.  Q-flash notified that the update was successful, but still get BSOD. Windows tries to load but just before the desktop appears, it crashes. I have tried to system repair, system rollback through windows 7 boot disk, but still same result.  My question is, perhaps the incorrect BIOS was applied, i.e., rev. 1.0 applied to a rev. 1.3 MOBO. i am not sure.  in any event, I am 99% sure the BIOS is the problem. everything was fine until I did I flashed. (Yes, now i learned my lesson).  I have read that clearing the CMOS will reset the BIOS to the factory defaults and then I can reconfigure the hardware setup.
Is this true?
Also, i have the Intel Smart Response set up with an SSD.  will resetting effect that setup or will it be ok after the BIOS is reinstalled.  Thanks for your help.

Rolo42

• DON'T PANIC!
    • PC Parts List
Re: BIOS Flash Fail- Does Clearing CMOS Help?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 09:55:25 pm »

You should always clear CMOS settings after a BIOS update (the manual/readme should state that).

You should verify that you used the correct BIOS image; download the correct one and run fc (file compare) against the image you used.

You should always check/update drivers before updating BIOS; some old drivers won't be compatible with the new BIOS--the update notes should state if/when this happens.

You should keep a copy of your CMOS settings on file so you can restore them after a flash/clear; write them down or use your phone's camera and keep the images there.  Incorrect device settings, namely disk, can cause BSODs.

Does Windows boot in safe mode?

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 01:43:23 am »
windows does not boot at all. when i get to the logo splash scene, it locks up.  when i restart, only options to start up are in normal mode or system restore. safe mode is not a choice.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 07:46:49 am »
Hi and welcome.

If it ain't broke...don't fix it!

Your first mistake was using @BIOS to run the update. It is always a risky business made even more so by using a program that runs on top of the operating system. You need to use another computer to download the correct BIOS file (use the latest if you want to) for your motherboard and don't forget the revision number of your motherboard. Put it on a smal pendrive after unzipping it. You can then use QFlash to rewrite the BIOS hopefully.

For future reference it is always safer to do the update in a couple of steps rather than one big jump if there is a long way to go.

If you still have a problem post back here. ;)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 07:48:22 am by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Rolo42

• DON'T PANIC!
    • PC Parts List
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 02:56:16 pm »
windows does not boot at all. when i get to the logo splash scene, it locks up.  when i restart, only options to start up are in normal mode or system restore. safe mode is not a choice.
If you have the Windows splash screen, Windows is booting.  Hit F8 to get more boot options. http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm

What about the other things I mentioned?  (Clear CMOS, restore settings manually)

I agree flashing BIOS from within Windows is asking for trouble but in 15+ years of flashing BIOSes, I've never had a problem.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 03:00:06 pm »
We get it all the time on the forum here!

As for the splash screen I always advise turning that off and DON'T be tempted to enable Quick Boot!
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB