Official GIGABYTE Forum

BIOS update

BIOS update
« on: November 06, 2009, 11:43:50 pm »
Hi all hope you can help

After installing my new motherboard and processor my computer locks up when booting, I've been told first port of call is a bios update.  Problem is i can't get into the bios for some reason!! i don't seem to get the screen at start up that gives the bios version so don't know what version i have.  my question is if the bios version is preventing the computer to start how do i flash the bios?  on start up i get the gigabyte screen with key options for bios then flicks to the windows loading screen then hangs. pressing the option keys don't seem to work. 

My motherboard
Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3P. 

Processor
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 / 3 GHz ( 1333 MHz ) - LGA775 Socket - L2 12 MB

650W PSU

Grateful for any help

John

Pottypete

Re: BIOS update
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 12:47:04 am »
Hi
You could try removing the power supply, reset cmos jumper, have cup o tea, reset jumper and press F2 on startup,
You could also try disconnecting the hard drive and boot without it,
You can then flash the bios with qflash utility, from a usb key with the latest bios loaded on it, I think you press F12 for the boot options
Let us know how you get on?
regards
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 12:49:14 am by Pottypete »

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 10:09:22 pm »
Just an update on this problem, I have tried to reset CMOS with no joy so tried a different processor, boots up no problem!!

I used a dual core 2.8 to do this as this would work with the F4 BIOS version.  On checking the BIOS I found it to be version F7 anyway, so have now  eliminated the BIOS version causing the problem.

I came to the conclusion after all this time that the processor was at fault and returned it,  apparently they tested it and found it to be operating properly so sent it back to me.

Now I’m left with a  £250.00 processor that doesn’t work with my motherboard and fresh out of ideas.  If anyone has any ideas on this I would appreciate the help

Regards John

Pottypete

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 10:49:58 pm »
Hi John
Bios version F9c available, http://www.giga-byte.co.uk/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_Model.aspx?ProductID=2841#anchor_os
it is a beta bios,Give it a whirl, load up settings manualy in bios to see if that helps
Q9650 is shown on the CPU support list,
regards
some of the more techie forum members may be able to help you m8,
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 04:10:44 pm by runn3R »