Official GIGABYTE Forum

z68x-ud3h-b3 and Mushkin Blackline 996995 4 DIMMS BSOD

GXTracker

z68x-ud3h-b3 and Mushkin Blackline 996995 4 DIMMS BSOD
« on: August 20, 2012, 08:20:29 pm »
Hello,

Im having an odd issue with frequent BSOD's on a new system build that I cant seem to narrow down. Below are the system specs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte z68x-ud3h-b3 Revision 1.3
RAM: Mushkin Blackline 996995 2x4GB (4 DIMMS)
CPU: Core I7 2600 (non-k)
GPU: XFX Radeon 6950
PSU: OCZ700MXSP - 700w
Alternate OS: Ubuntu 12.04

Issue:
The problem Im having is that the system isnt stable using 4 DIMMS at default values - 2 kits of the Blackline 996995 2x4GB for a total of 16GB of RAM. If I take 2 DIMMS out I can run stable without an issue, even enable XMP to bump the ram up to 1600. Put all 4 DIMMS back in and boot, and its BSOD and system hangs during every boot with XMP enabled. turn off XMP (back to 1333Mhz) and it still hangs or BSOD but not as frequently.

The only way I can seem to get it running stable is by dropping the RAM speed down to 800Mhz.

Testing notes:
- System BIOS is currently at U1H (UEFI BIOS) and was previously at F10 - issue happened with both bios versions.
- Ran MEMTEST86+ 4.20 on each DIMM for 3 hours each. No errors. This is with XMP enabled.
- Ran MEMTEST86+ 4.20 with all 4 DIMMS installed for 3 hours. still no errors. again, this is with XMP enabled.
As soon as I try to boot into windows: BSOD, or system freeze.

I know memtest isnt the greatest stress tester for a system build, but I just havent experienced a system build where each DIMM passes several hours of testing and yet BSOD's every single time. Could it be CPU related? Memory controller or CPU Cache? I would think if it was, then I would be seeing this regardless of how many DIMMS I have installed...

- tried booting the system with only 3 DIMMS installed and XMP enabled. Still crashes.
- tried booting with 1 DIMM installed and XMP enabled. No issues booting.

Could the memory controller be having issues running in dual channel mode with that high of a memory frequency?

As a suggestion from Mushkin support, I tried changing the QPI/VTT voltage. I tested in increments of 0.010v from 1.075v to 1.125v for the QPI/VTT and still BSOD.

On a whim, I decided to unplug the Radeon and just run with the onboard graphics, since everything else was disconnected exept for the HDD so I could boot into something. Restarted the computer and it boots into windows without a problem. I was shocked, put the 6950 back in, and boom - blue screens again/crashes in Ubuntu.

Im convinced now that its something else, so i decided to perform some different troubleshooting:

- Removed Videocard and ran system with onboard graphics: System appears stable at XMP profile.
- Tried running videocard without PCIe power connected: will not boot. (Duh!)
- Tried running videocard in second PCIe 16x slot: same issue
- Tried swapping videocard with identical 6950 from my brother: same issue
- Tried swapping powersupply with identical OZC700MSXP from brother: Same issue
- Tried running videocard off one power supply and motherboard off the other: same issue
*** Ruling out Power issue

- Tried installing old Radeon x800xl videocard: same issue
*** Ruling out Videocard issue

- Reseated CPU: same issue
- Replaced CPU with i5 2400: same issue
*** Ruling out CPU issue

So I don't know what it is, but it seems running a discreet videocard with the memory set to 1600mhz with 4 DIMMS seems to be an issue. running it at 1333mhz seems unstable as well, but doesnt always crash/BSOD - just most of the time.

Im starting to believe its a problem with the motherboard.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: z68x-ud3h-b3 and Mushkin Blackline 996995 4 DIMMS BSOD
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 09:39:08 pm »
Hi and welcome.

Your problem is simply that you are asking the motherboard to do something it isn't capable of. Years ago it was possible to mix and match memory and different modules on the whole wouldn't cause trouble. That is not the case now though and you must use matched memory if you want to fill all the slots. You will probably have to increase the memory controller voltage too as the default is aimed at two slots, the extra slots put an extra load on the controller. The controller is now buiilt into the processor.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

GXTracker

Re: z68x-ud3h-b3 and Mushkin Blackline 996995 4 DIMMS BSOD
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 09:51:20 pm »
Hello and thank you for the reply,

Then why would the system be stable, either with XMP set, or by manually setting 1600Mhz 9-9-9-24 1.5v with all other stock settings - when I remove the descrete videocard?

Why would the system pass several hours and several passes of memtest with all 4 DIMMS installed and set to those speeds?