Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-X58A-UD3R electrical noises [solved]

bidu

Re: GA-X58A-UD3R electrical noises
« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2010, 04:38:09 pm »
I've registered just to make it known that my X58A-UD5 is having the same whine/buzzing/HDD activity sound coming from the CPU socket area when under load. As well, I also have a Corsair HX650 PSU. This is my replacement board and my patience to replace it a 3rd time is wearing on me.  Following the tips and tricks of disabling C1E removed any audible sound, but for a long term solution, this may cause more wear and tear on vital components that could otherwise be facilitated by power saving features.  I think I am just going to give up with these Gigabyte motherboards and defect to a competitor that doesn't have such issues.

Same, i just register to let u know than X58A-UD5 has the same problem, i just installed mine this week, i expected that sound when i benchmarked my raid0-ssd... the sound is very more noticable on high HDD activities. I emailled GA about it and newegg (waiting for answers).

It's my first gigabyte board.. i have drop my heart choice (asus) to get a more logical one (GB with sata3 and usb3 at same price).. now i am apologize. I will try to get a asus P6X58D Premium instead, if newegg god help me with that. Very disapointed to switch to gigabyte for my last board. I wish asus do not suffer same issue.

( I am happy to read some1 about talking about HDD activities.. because the sound is a way louder on high hdd activities)

i hear the bits pass through my modo.. i am crazy or not ... stay away of GB board
later

jaicigy

« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2010, 04:45:04 pm »
I have also contacted my supplier of my Gigabyte motherboard and I have also laid my eyes on the ASUS P6X58D but I am already satisfied with the P6X58D-E, not Premium. My supplier must first contact Gigabyte and await their response but I really do not want to have an exchange or even repair since I have no faith in this model anymore and cannot get from anywhere confirmation that new Batches of this board have no longer issues, with of without C1E e/disabled.
Let´s hope I get soon a positive confirmation.
Too bad, this was also my first Gigabyte board experience and unfortunately a dissappointing one.

pdime

« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2010, 07:01:59 pm »
I have the screeching problem on my GA-X58A-UD3R F5 bios board. As another poster claimed, it is extremely noticeable with a faster hard drive (like SSD). I can hear it across the room. If I disable CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) the problem goes away. This setting is enabled by default. I did not have to mess with voltages to stop the noise.

Gigabyte support was not of any help. I question the integrity of this board. I would RMA but it doesn't seem like it'd make a difference. Wondering if I should get a totally different motherboard now.

I have a Corsair 650HX PSU.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 07:06:09 pm by pdime »

dkslim

« Reply #63 on: May 13, 2010, 01:16:59 am »
There is enough evidence that this noise coming from the X58A-UD3R and UD5 is a widespread problem. Gigabyte should by now be fully aware of this problem. Rather than keeping quiet about it, I wish Gigabyte can make an announcement about whether their newer batch of X58A motherboards have solved this problem? If they keep quiet, buyers will just assume that the newer batches still have the problem, and shift away to other brands like Asus.

jaicigy

« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2010, 10:24:23 am »
Well, I just got response from Gigabyte about this issue and it is obvious they do not confirm the problem nor advice to exchange the board to a newer batch, this was their reply:

Dear .. ,

We are wondering if you may try to enable Turbo Mode and keep C1E enabled to see if problem persists? In addition, you may use Dynamic Energy Saver™ 2 instead of Energy Saver .

However, if the problem remains after the test procedure, we suggest you to contact your supplier/retailer (where you purchased the product) for further assistance on hardware testing since we can hardly define the root cause without looking at the platform. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Regards,
GIGABYTE TECHNOLOGY

I am going to contact my supplier and insist in exchanging the board for a totally different one, even brand, sorry Gigabyte, but this way, you create only suspision and no confidence

faust

« Reply #65 on: May 14, 2010, 07:56:09 am »
My wild ass guess is that it only happens with certain PSU's.  I have 2 ssd's and I don't hear anything.  I have a Silverstone 1000w psu.

dkslim

« Reply #66 on: May 15, 2010, 03:28:27 am »
My wild ass guess is that it only happens with certain PSU's.  I have 2 ssd's and I don't hear anything.  I have a Silverstone 1000w psu.

I used 3 different branded power supplies, and they made no difference to the noise coming from the motherboard. So I doubt it's PSU incompatibility (unless the motherboard is incompatible with lots of power supplies - which I would regard as unacceptable).

jaicigy

« Reply #67 on: May 15, 2010, 08:01:14 am »
I would not be surprised if Gigabyte presented a new revision of this board or a Version 2 like ASUS has done for some boards that showed similar problems.. the dissappointing thing is that they will not admit that the current board has problems and offer a customer friendly solution for it instead of denying it or simply advising to disable C1E and Turbo mode which is in the BIOS for a reason. What a dissappointing first experience with Gigabyte..

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #68 on: May 15, 2010, 08:37:00 am »
I have a similar experience with the X58A-UD7 board. It makes a two tone humming noise which although I am sure is not so unbearable as the squealing is still very annoying. I thought it was the fans at first but after disableing them(I have liquid cooling for the cpu, n/b, graphics) I found it was coming from the cpu area of the motherboard. I think that paying £265.00 for a top of the range item that has problems is not acceptable. Gigabyte should make a decision to recall the boards.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Arundor

« Reply #69 on: May 15, 2010, 09:09:53 pm »
My wild ass guess is that it only happens with certain PSU's.  I have 2 ssd's and I don't hear anything.  I have a Silverstone 1000w psu.

This is actually my theory as well.  I've gone searching for reports of this problem on various other forums (just Google for "GA-X58-UD3R coil whine") and the main commonality between people experiencing these issues is the use of PSU manufactured by Seasonic.  Seasonic does make a lot of them - in addition to their own, they also manufacture some of Corsair's, Antec's, XFX's and PC Power & Cooling's units.  And notably they do not make Silverstone's units.

More information on PSU manufacturers is listed here if anyone is curious.

Unfortunately, if this is true, Gigabyte could just claim "Not our problem, it's Seasonic's fault."  Although if Gigabyte did that I would lose a lot of faith in them, as Seasonic is widely recognized as one of the highest quality PSU manufacturers and their units work just fine with hundreds of other motherboards.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 09:55:53 pm by Arundor »

« Reply #70 on: May 15, 2010, 10:41:40 pm »
I was on the vurge of getting the UDR3, But now after reading all this, I believe I am gonna get the Asus ASUS P6X58D-E or ASUS P6X58D Premium board.

if GB would admit to people there is an ISSUE with these boards and do like someone said asus did w/ a revision (v2), Then people would probably keep faith in GB, But if they dont and just state to do a bios fix, Then thats not admitting anything.

I saw the video of about the guy talking about capacitors and he said it could possibly not cause issues, But if they fail then what? RMA anyway.

I wanted this board because of the 8 sata ports over the 6 sata ports of the asus, But I too, Want a quiet pc. If I wanted a jet airliner, I'd get very fast rpm fans and let it take off.

I dont think a setting in the bios is whats needed. A revision is needed I believe (And maybe a different color theme  ;) )

I have an Corsair HX850 PSU and had a HX620 and never heard a noise out of the 620. I did, However, Hear alittle whin out of the 850 at 1st, But no more.

dkslim

« Reply #71 on: May 16, 2010, 08:56:47 am »
Gigabyte needs to know that turning off C1E and turbo speedstep (in BIOS) is NOT a fix for the noise problem, it is only a work-around. These two features are supposed to work flawlessly on motherboards. It's worth noting that other motherboard brands (Asus, EVGA, Asrock) can have C1E and turbo speedstep turned on, without any noise issues. This is a strong indication that the Gigabyte motherboards are faulty. As such, Gigabyte should be admitting the fault, it would create more customer confidence than continual denial of the problem.

As for the theory that Seasonic power supplies are causing the noise - even if this is true, it is unacceptable for a motherboard to be incompatible with such a highly regarded power supply manufacturer.

I too am on the verge of buying the Asus P6X58D-E instead of waiting for a newer-batch Gigabyte UD3R replacement (even though the Asus is 30% more expensive than the UD3R in Australia), simply to avoid the noise problem.

Finally, it's worth noting that I started this thread 2.5 months ago, and also wrote several emails to Gigabyte headquarters and local. They have had plenty of time to investigate this problem. Yet there is still no response from Gigabyte staff about fixing this problem. It is disappointing.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 09:04:00 am by dkslim »

jaicigy

« Reply #72 on: May 16, 2010, 09:13:40 am »
and what would you think would happen if they admitted to the problem? Everybody who has a GA-X58A-UD3R MB from Gigabyte, would contact Gigabyte and demand solution, maybe even when they (still) have not detected the electrical noises or continious reboots ... It is a difficult issue to solve, from the consequential point of view.
The only thing Gigabyte will probably do is learn from the mistake/error and try to improve future models.
For us customers it is an even more delicate and frustrating matter since if Gigabyte does not admit to the problem then they are not forced to offer a solution since there is nothing to solve. The only thing we can do as owners is complaint in so many websites as possible so that the problem is widely spread through internet and Gigabyte is somewhat criticised for not admitting and solving these issues.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 11:10:18 am by jaicigy »

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #73 on: May 16, 2010, 10:41:01 am »
Yes, I agree. If Gigabyte wont accept responsibility for the problems with the motherboards that they produce then the only way forward is for customers to spread the word and hit them in the pocket which is where they can not ignore it. They may be able to ignore some complaints from users but they wont be able to ignore their shareholders!
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #74 on: May 16, 2010, 07:49:33 pm »
I have just registered to state that I am having the same problem with the electrical noise coming from around the CPU, the noise is not as loud as the Youtube videos but it’s very annoying. I can turn it off by setting C1E to disabled in the BIOS but I really shouldn’t have to do this for a new board, I really do not want to take apart my new PC and return the motherboard as it has taken me a long time to route all the cables and stuff. My board serial number is: SN10150002XXXX I just hope they can fix it with a BIOS update rather than a hardware fix/replacement.