Official GIGABYTE Forum

BIOS and Boot Menu doesn't work

iPoro

BIOS and Boot Menu doesn't work
« on: September 12, 2015, 01:54:47 pm »
Hi guys, I've recently updated to Windows 10, but this windows doesn't suit me so I decided to go back to win 7, however the option to go back to win 7 wasn't there anymore so I had to use a CD to install new windows. Before I went back to win 7, I saw that although I've installed brand new win 10 all of my files that were located on Disc C were still there. I wanted to get rid of them and install new windows so I went ahead and inserted the CD and installed it from there. Apparently you have to install bard new windows via Boot menu etc, but I didn't know that then. My friend told me to do that by pressing F12 on my keyboard while my PC was restarting, but all I get is a black screen with my mouse in it and nothing else, I can move my mouse around, but nothing shows up. I then googled for a bit and I  have to change the BIOS settings, I restarted my PC again and hit DEL however I still have the same thing - blank screen with just my mouse on it, any ideas?

iPoro

Re: BIOS and Boot Menu doesn't work
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 12:01:34 pm »
Anyone mind helping out?

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 01:29:34 pm »
What PC Components are you using?

Intel or AMD?
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

iPoro

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 02:06:15 pm »
AMD

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 02:43:22 pm »
Please check this thread: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=2195.0 for the kind of information you need to post, so that we can help you.

I will move this thread to the AMD section as you may get more help if it is posted there.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

iPoro

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2015, 04:28:28 pm »
Please check this thread: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=2195.0 for the kind of information you need to post, so that we can help you.

I will move this thread to the AMD section as you may get more help if it is posted there.

Thank you very much. I'm really sorry, I'm not good with technology so that's why I didn't include anything.

Here's the info

Motherboard
Model : F2A88XM-DS2 (P0)
BIOS version : ver:04.06.05 or F6
Revision Number : 3.0

Graphics card
Model : AMD Radeon HD 8570D

CPU
Brand : AMD A8-6600K
Specs : AMD A8-6600K APU with Radeon HD Graphics

Operating system : Windows 7 Home premium  64 bits

Memory
RAM : 8 GB
Processor : 3.90 GHz with boost - 4.5 GHz

Hard disc
Disc C;

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2015, 03:23:01 am »
If there are any files you want to try and recover from your original install of Windows 7, you can try slaving the disk in another PC, or use a an external adapter, toaster, etc.

If you are OK with starting over, this is not necessary.   When you start the PC, you must press F12 for a one time boot menu.  You do not press and hold the key...  instead tap, pause, tap, pause until the menu appears.  From there you can select the drive containing your install media.  Delete any existing partition(s) or windows installations prior to installing windows 7 again.

You can also enter BIOS by pressing the delete key <del> same tap, pause method and change your boot order so the drive containing your install media can be set as your first boot device. 
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW

iPoro

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2015, 05:19:12 pm »
If there are any files you want to try and recover from your original install of Windows 7, you can try slaving the disk in another PC, or use a an external adapter, toaster, etc.

If you are OK with starting over, this is not necessary.   When you start the PC, you must press F12 for a one time boot menu.  You do not press and hold the key...  instead tap, pause, tap, pause until the menu appears.  From there you can select the drive containing your install media.  Delete any existing partition(s) or windows installations prior to installing windows 7 again.

You can also enter BIOS by pressing the delete key <del> same tap, pause method and change your boot order so the drive containing your install media can be set as your first boot device.

I know which buttons to press to open what, I also tried doing all sorts of methods since the first thing I used was google to help me and it had same steps, tap,pause,tap I can sit there for 10-15 min with out it poping up.

iPoro

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2015, 09:12:33 pm »
I don't really know what to do since it never happened before to me. It was working flawlessly, but now...

shadowsports

• Gigabyte US
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2015, 04:44:00 pm »
Greetings,

Other possible solutions;

-Disconnect power from PSU or turn off rocker switch.  Open case and disconnect power to your boot drive.  Retest

-Perform CLR_CMOS or Battery pull.  One or the other of these should give you the ability to enter BIOS using <Del>

Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11

iPoro

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2015, 08:39:56 pm »
Greetings,

Other possible solutions;

-Disconnect power from PSU or turn off rocker switch.  Open case and disconnect power to your boot drive.  Retest

-Perform CLR_CMOS or Battery pull.  One or the other of these should give you the ability to enter BIOS using <Del>

Sadly nothing worked...

shadowsports

• Gigabyte US
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2015, 10:50:19 pm »
If neither of these worked, then you will need to remove all installed cards and disconnect all connected drives/devices on the board.  Leave only the CPU, its fan and a stick of ram installed.  Connect video to onboard if equipped.  Please perform the CLR_CMOS procedure again, disconnecting power and pulling the battery for 5 min. 

Re-insert the battery and attempt to start the system, reconnect power and attempt to start again and enter BIOS.  With no devices connected, you should get the Gigabyte Logo and have the ability to press <Del> to enter BIOS.

If this doesn't resolve the issue, the only things left are:

-Attempt to invoke the back up BIOS
-Attempt to re-flash the BIOS (not sure if this is possible on an older board if you can't see the screen)
-Remove the board from the case and perform further bench testing

The behavior black screen after a failed install or upgrade attempt is often seen when the system cannot find a boot device, or when it cannot be read.  Normally this times out (after attempting all items in the boot order) and the system displays a boot error message of some sort.

Not in your case however, so the next step in to reset the BIOS.  When this fails, you remove devices, reset again and attempt to start.  Failing again, with the older boards that don't have BIOS switches, you attempt to invoke boot from the back up BIOS.  If you get a loop and you know the hardware is good, no bent pins in socket, etc, we have seen cases where forcing the primary and secondary BIOS to re-sync or flash using ALT+F10 or ALT+F12 depending on Award or AMI....  has fixed things...  but you aren't looping and cannot get display.

So you need to remove as many variables as possible and attempt to get a clean start.  I think I've pretty much covered the basics.  If anyone else has something to add, please feel free.  :)     

« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 01:25:17 am by shadowsports »

iPoro

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2015, 12:53:24 pm »
If neither of these worked, then you will need to remove all installed cards and disconnect all connected drives/devices on the board.  Leave only the CPU, its fan and a stick of ram installed.  Connect video to onboard if equipped.  Please perform the CLR_CMOS procedure again, disconnecting power and pulling the battery for 5 min. 

Re-insert the battery and attempt to start the system, reconnect power and attempt to start again and enter BIOS.  With no devices connected, you should get the Gigabyte Logo and have the ability to press <Del> to enter BIOS.

If this doesn't resolve the issue, the only things left are:

-Attempt to invoke the back up BIOS
-Attempt to re-flash the BIOS (not sure if this is possible on an older board if you can't see the screen)
-Remove the board from the case and perform further bench testing

The behavior black screen after a failed install or upgrade attempt is often seen when the system cannot find a boot device, or when it cannot be read.  Normally this times out (after attempting all items in the boot order) and the system displays a boot error message of some sort.

Not in your case however, so the next step in to reset the BIOS.  When this fails, you remove devices, reset again and attempt to start.  Failing again, with the older boards that don't have BIOS switches, you attempt to invoke boot from the back up BIOS.  If you get a loop and you know the hardware is good, no bent pins in socket, etc, we have seen cases where forcing the primary and secondary BIOS to re-sync or flash using ALT+F10 or ALT+F12 depending on Award or AMI....  has fixed things...  but you aren't looping and cannot get display.

So you need to remove as many variables as possible and attempt to get a clean start.  I think I've pretty much covered the basics.  If anyone else has something to add, please feel free.  :)     

Sadly I've tried everything and nothing seems to work.

shadowsports

• Gigabyte US
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2015, 03:17:28 pm »
Sorry you aren't having any luck.  What steps did you use to invoke the back up BIOS?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 03:18:30 pm by shadowsports »

iPoro

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2015, 03:25:41 pm »
Sorry you aren't having any luck.  What steps did you use to invoke the back up BIOS?
I tried everything you've said, yet nothing seems to work. I think I have a curse with technology... I'm powerless in this situation now. Oh and now for some reason whenever my PC "boots up" my windows doesn't start up... It just goes straight to black screen with a mouse cursor on it just like when I press DEL or F12 to enter BIOS or Boot my pc.