Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-X58A-UD3R v2 FB - hanging BIOS

GA-X58A-UD3R v2 FB - hanging BIOS
« on: September 15, 2010, 06:47:41 am »
Hello wonderful people!

I was having so many major issues with my computer until the FB update a few weeks ago. I want thank Gigabyte and everyone who helped bring those issues to their attention.

I have a couple remaining issues:

1. In the BIOS, I can navigate all of the menus except for the first one (forget what it's called, but it's where you set all of the clock speeds, etc.). It hangs until I cold boot the computer, no matter how short or long I've been in the BIOS, or how many other menus I've navigated beforehand.

2. When I Shut Down in Win7, my computer automatically restarts(!), and when I force it off, it thinks it failed to startup and resets all my clock settings. (It turns off XMP which puts my RAM from its rated 1600mhz down to 1066, and puts my CPU to 21 multiplier).

Hope that's all clear...

Thanks in advance!!!

AHF
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 06:53:57 am by Antibalas HiFi »
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R v2 (BioS version FB)
Processor: Intel Core i7 920
Memory: 12GB HX3X12G1600C9G
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTS 250 1 GB (01G-P3-1158-TR)

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: GA-X58A-UD3R v2 FB - hanging BIOS
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 07:51:08 am »
Hi and welcome. It sounds like your BIOS flash hasn't taken properly and I think that you should try re-downloading it and re-flashing it. Dont forget to use QFlash not @BIOS.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Lsdmeasap

• Gigabyte Support (TweakTown USA)
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 08:43:56 am »
Hi and welcome. It sounds like your BIOS flash hasn't taken properly and I think that you should try re-downloading it and re-flashing it. Dont forget to use QFlash not @BIOS.

Do you mean your clock resets correct, the time clock, or just overclock settings?

BIOS FC1 is out if you want to try it
http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/12/20/2696817/x58aud3r.fc1.zip

Please use Qflash and Disable Keep DMI Data before you flash, then load optimized when you are done and then reboot back to the BIOS to set any changes you need to make

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 08:56:30 am »
Okay! I tried installing the FB BIOS using Qflash and a USB Drive (instead of @BIOS like before) and it installed fine, but all my problems still exist as before =/

I'm very curious about FC1 but I'd like more information about it considering how risky this BIOS business is. Where can I get this?

And btw, I meant clock speeds, not my system clock. ALTHOUGH my Windows clock is wrong most of the time I boot up... even though I sync it every time... but I'd rather fix that later unless anyone has any ideas off the top of their head. (So many problems, I know!)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 09:02:00 am by Antibalas HiFi »

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 09:00:33 am »
Your Windows clock will just be getting the time from your BIOS clock. If that's wrong then so will your Windows clock be wrong.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 09:21:38 am by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Lsdmeasap

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 09:16:05 am »
FC1 is linked above, it is direct from Gigabyte.

How Off or Wrong is your windows clock each day?

Do you have ErP enabled in the BIOS, if so please disable this.

You may need to set your own BIOS settings, Auto or XMP may fail and that will cause all your overclock settings to not be used.  They should be there still though, but with a RED Warning box when you enter the MIT Section saying the overclock failed.   If they are completely gone instead of that, then you either have ErP enabled, have a faulty CMOS battery, or need to leave your computer plugged in - PSU Not switched off because if they are completely gone then one of the above is causing the CMOS to be cleared each night.

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 09:32:07 am »
Okay, I installed FC1 using Qflash - I still have the same issues.

About the clock... I never unplug my computer, and my clock can be as much as 17 hours off (for example). There is no rhyme or reason as far as I can sense or figure. Although during these tests it has been working fine, so maybe the newer BIOS versions have fixed this.

I'd really like to work on getting my BIOS not to hang... I have some more details:

When the BIOS opens and I hit enter (as I mentioned, the menu that freezes is the first option in the BIOS - the rest work) It shows me the first line of the following screen, and the version of the BIOS midway down the screen. And a few other random things below... menu options or w/e. But no keyboard input works. I'll try disabling ErP and unplugging all USB/Firewire devices.............
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 09:33:34 am by Antibalas HiFi »

1Day

• Bencher
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 09:36:19 am »
Please try with just one stick of ram in your system. If the problem persists, change the ram with your others stick and see if it clears up. If not shift the single stick of ram to a different channel. What we are trying to do is eliminate possible causes to the problem. I think after reading your replies that you might have a hang due to ram or some component that needs to pass a check before the BIOS check list can proceed. As to the clock issue. Make sure your battery is the right way round and securely seated in the holder.

Regards
“In mathematics you don't understand things. You just get used to them.”

John von Neumann

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 09:43:17 am »
Okay... after unplugging all USB devices, it worked! Not sure if they're related but it worked on the first try.

SO now I have XMP on, but my computer is still restarting instead of shutting down.  Ideas?

Also when I set the CPU multi to 20, it still resets to 21 when I boot up.

Which direction should the battery be facing?

Thanks for all the help, almost there!

Lsdmeasap

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 09:43:42 am »
Are you using a PS/2 keyboard?   If not please do, or enable Legacy USB / USB Storage in the BIOS.

I had a keyboard that would cause the same issues you just described freezing in the BIOS, it was due to incompatible USB Keyboard with the BIOS which they have now corrected.

Yes please disable ErP and then in the morning see if everything is still reset and or time is way off as you describe.  That all sounds like ErP is draining your CMOS which I have tested and reported to be an issue with no fix in sight as they say the can't replicate the issue.  Here is the latest thread with our testing and my reports from Gigabyte in case you wanted to overlook our thoughts or testing results with EuP / ErP.
http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/38267-x58a-ud7-settings-reset-after-shutdown-win7.html

*Edit*

In regards to your post, as you posted at the same time as me, I bet it's your USB Keyboard if you were previously using one.

And for the restart instead of shutdown.

If you have Turbo Enabled in the BIOS please disable RAID.   If you use RAID and need Turbo, disable Turbo and set the multi to the max value you need.

You can either set 21 with Turbo disabled, or set Turbo enabled with 20, but with Turbo enabled you need to disable RAID.

Battery is facing the correct way I'm sure, if you want to check just be sure you can see numbers and or letters (KTS CR2032) on it, if so then it's installed correctly
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 09:49:13 am by Lsdmeasap »

fatbobuk

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 05:11:06 pm »
Your not the only one having BIOS problems with this Ver2 board.

Read my posts, see if any of that sounds the same ?????

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 07:19:30 pm »
I'm using an Apple USB Keyboard... I don't really feel like downgrading if at all possible! Plus, when I unplug all USB devices other than my keyboard/mouse, the BIOS worked and I was able to navigate (via the keyboard). It's likely my external drive (which is now causing DMI Pool "boot disk failure" errors at times...) or my USB wireless adapter.

I also found that ErP has in fact been disabled by default this whole time.

As for RAID/Turbo mode, the defaults for the mobo are what is set. I've never turned on RAID or installed the RAID software, so maybe that is off, and I am almost positive that Turbo Mode is set. What is the default setting for RAID?

For when I get home: what are the RAID settings I should look for and what should their values be? I assume there's more than one thing to look for....

Thanks!  ;D

@fatbobuk: is there a particular thread you want me to look at?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 07:22:21 pm by Antibalas HiFi »

fatbobuk

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2010, 08:34:10 pm »
http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/12/20/2696817/x58aud3r.fc1.zip

Is the date correct on that file or is that when the original folder was made?

Or is this not for the ver 2 of this board ?

Lsdmeasap

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2010, 12:27:46 pm »
I'm using an Apple USB Keyboard... I don't really feel like downgrading if at all possible! Plus, when I unplug all USB devices other than my keyboard/mouse, the BIOS worked and I was able to navigate (via the keyboard). It's likely my external drive (which is now causing DMI Pool "boot disk failure" errors at times...) or my USB wireless adapter.

I also found that ErP has in fact been disabled by default this whole time.

As for RAID/Turbo mode, the defaults for the mobo are what is set. I've never turned on RAID or installed the RAID software, so maybe that is off, and I am almost positive that Turbo Mode is set. What is the default setting for RAID?

For when I get home: what are the RAID settings I should look for and what should their values be? I assume there's more than one thing to look for....

Thanks!  ;D

@fatbobuk: is there a particular thread you want me to look at?

Nice to see you sorted it out anyway!   You can try disabling Legacy USB/USB Storage to see if that helps with the external drive, but that may cause your USB keyboard to not function properly.   You'd have to test it out.

ErP disabled is good, and if you are not using RAID you do not have to worry about that at all.

You may need a new CMOS battery if the issues still persist with your clock and reset of the settings.