Official GIGABYTE Forum

Installed GIGABYTE On/Off Charge, now my computer will not shut off!

Re: Installed GIGABYTE On/Off Charge, now my computer will not shut off!
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2010, 01:54:01 am »
Hi Soar, Why are they calling you old.. ::)

Jannie,

I am not sure...perhaps the Brain Synapse Computational Capacity diminishes as we get older?

I think it is either that or its because the synaptic connections in my neurons are no longer firing as fast or as frequently as in years past...

Not sure which one it is...

Hi Soar
Have you tried updating your BIOS to the latest version.... ;D

DM, I forgot to ask you...did you install a fan controller in your HAF 932?  If yes, which brand did you use?  And last, but not least, where did you purchase the metal filters?

Actually I did but seperate ones but they are just in the process of being replaced by a six fan controller that fits in the front bay. Lamptron are bringing out a very nice one soon that is touch screen and will run up to 30W per channnel. Should be out around Christmas for around $70. It's called the Lamptron FCT. You can see a review of it here: 

http://www.azcs.co.uk/content.php/178-Lamptron-FC-TOUCH-Review

I got my screens/filters from this company that I always use for my fans, cooling parts etc and they are absolutley top notch but I am not sure if they will deliver to the States. Try asking Mick the owner or Alison, you will find them both very helpfull.

http://www.candccentral.co.uk/Koolance.html?sort=orderby

Actually I am just waiting for them to get the fan controller in.

DM,

I would update my brain BIOS but people tell me if everything is working ok, you should stick with your present BIOS due to the risks involved in updating.  Besides, I do not trust Qflash or @BIOS!  I might wake up and think I am Absic or even worse, DM!

Thanks for the info on the fan controllers and dust filters...

I was able to find time to do a little more research, and I found all sorts of options...

The option that appealed most to me has one major drawback:  The filters cost more the double the price I paid for my HAF 932!

Here's the scoop on these magnetic filters:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/11729

Please let me know what you think of them.

They appear really strange looking [as if they are from another planet].  The cost is $59!  Maybe you and Absic and I could create a new company and make better filters and sell them for half the price.  Then all three of us could retire to the Bahamas and live happily ever after...sipping tea and rum as we all own the best Gigabyte products that money can buy...

Ok, back to planet earth...

I will look at more fan controllers and filter options on this side of the pond [I think shipping from the UK would kill the deal for me].

Last, have you ever heard of the HAF 932 Black Edition?  Or the HAF AMD 932 version?  What do you think of these models?

Ok, I hope I have not worn out your Brain Synapse Computational Capacities in this post. :-[

Let me know if so!

Soar
AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
Corsair Vengeance 1600 16GB
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
CM HAF X Blue

Both Systems:

Windows 7+10
Scythe Temp Monitor + Fan Controller

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2010, 09:44:13 am »
DM,

I would update my brain BIOS but people tell me if everything is working ok, you should stick with your present BIOS due to the risks involved in updating.  Besides, I do not trust Qflash or @BIOS!  I might wake up and think I am Absic or even worse, DM!

True enough, we are always telling people not to take chances where it is not necessary and in your case you wouldn't be gaining anything. Trouble is no Backup BIOS if anything goes wrong :'(

Thanks for the info on the fan controllers and dust filters...
I was able to find time to do a little more research, and I found all sorts of options...
The option that appealed most to me has one major drawback:  The filters cost moreIe double the price I paid for my HAF 932!
Here's the scoop on these magnetic filters:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/11729

I have looked at these filters before and they are brilliant but I just felt a little bit of overkill for me as I don't suffer that much with dust any more since getting rid of the carpet and fitting the airlock to enter the office. (well maybe I exaggerated a bit on the last one). They are the same as they use in surgery to keep it clean.

They appear really strange looking [as if they are from another planet].  The cost is $59!  Maybe you and Absic and I could create a new company and make better filters and sell them for half the price.  Then all three of us could retire to the Bahamas and live happily ever after...sipping tea and rum as we all own the best Gigabyte products that money can buy...

Sound pretty good to me Soar and nothing wrong with dreaming. We all need our fantasies to keep us sane in this mad world.

Last, have you ever heard of the HAF 932 Black Edition?  Or the HAF AMD 932 version?  What do you think of these models?

I have seen the HAF 932 AMD version that is painted a red colour and personally I didn't like it but that is my choice I am sure some people would love it. I haven't come across the Black Edition but I would imagine that it is just what the original should have been...painted black inside  and out and maybe with smoked perspex at the top for the window.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2010, 02:34:42 pm »
DM,

Thanks for the reply!  I am still debating what to do with this new HAF 932.  I think it is the Black Edition, but I will need to take it out of the box to be sure.

The GIGABYTE On/Off Charge program did show up in the start menu [that is how I first found it]!  There was no uninstaller attached.  But using Crap Cleaner, I was able to uninstall it.  So lesson learned.

You do not charge electronics in the UK using your computer...

Interesting.  Ok, what do you use?  Simple wall plug or solar powered bicycle?  How green are you guys?

I do have another question:

How do I do multiple quotes like you and Absic do?  I do not see the multiple quote button in this forum as in other forums...

Can you help me out on this?

Thanks,

Soar
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 02:53:14 pm by soarwitheagles »
AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
CM HAF X Blue

Both Systems:

Windows 7+10

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2010, 03:48:18 pm »
Hi Soar,

I use the wall plugs that come with the device normally to re-charge them when needed. I have plenty of wall sockets so it is not any inconvenience.
Anyway how can you talk about being GREEN when you are an American 5 and 6 litre cars or more do I need to continue?  ;)

The multiple quotes I just put in manually as I find that way the quickest. You just have to type in "[qu ote]" before the quote and "[/quote]" afterwards minus the quotation marks and the space in the first word.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 03:49:38 pm by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2010, 10:14:35 pm »
Hi Soar,

I use the wall plugs that come with the device normally to re-charge them when needed. I have plenty of wall sockets so it is not any inconvenience.
Anyway how can you talk about being GREEN when you are an American 5 and 6 litre cars or more do I need to continue?  ;)

The multiple quotes I just put in manually as I find that way the quickest. You just have to type in "[qu ote]" before the quote and "
" afterwards minus the quotation marks and the space in the first word.
[/quote]

DM,

Thanks for helping me understand how to do the multiple quotes DM!

Green?  Uh, personally, I prefer red, blue, and yellow [as in red RAM, blue motherboard, and yellow smiley faces] :P :P :P :-*

Green actually leaves a bad taste in my mouth as in Green Peace, Green Party, Green Face [as in the Wicked Witch of the East], and Green Goblins!!! Oh my!

I like cars with the speed of a 5-6 liter size motor, but sip gas like a Toyota Prius!  But, where oh where can we find one?

That is a good question!
 ;D

PS You guys are still the best!

PSS I was only joking when I mentioned green rechargables in prior post.  Please do not take it personally!  I am all for renewable energy and I do not drive a Hummer here... but I do feel unhappy about some recent developments here in California...

Perhaps I am over sensitive on the matter because today California just passed a huge law on "greenhouse gases" the very first in our nation, and yet it is so vague that it leaves gigantic loop holes for exploitation and thievery [as in giving our politicians more power to increase our already high taxes]!

Woe!  How did we get so far off subject here DM?  Jumping from the GIGABYTE On/Off Charge to "greenhouse gases" was quite a leap! 

:-X I apologize!!! :-X

« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 10:28:43 pm by soarwitheagles »
AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
CM HAF X Blue

Both Systems:

Windows 7+10

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2010, 10:32:59 pm »
No offence taken Soar, just having a laugh. I must admit I like big blocks myself but not the cost of running them especially over here. Petrol is the equivalent of 1.80 Dollars a litre! :'( :'( :'(  Our government has most of that in tax.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2010, 11:48:00 am »
No offence taken Soar, just having a laugh. I must admit I like big blocks myself but not the cost of running them especially over here. Petrol is the equivalent of 1.80 Dollars a litre! :'( :'( :'(  Our government has most of that in tax.

DM, now that is downright robbery!  Wow!  And I thought we had it bad!  Our gas prices just rose above $3.00 per gallon and we feel that is outrageous!

On the brighter side of things...

Have you or Absic any insights into Zalman PSU's?  I have found a good price on them and I am thinking about purchasing some.

Here it is:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=17-379-007&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=3#scrollFullInfo

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Soar
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 11:48:36 am by soarwitheagles »
AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
CM HAF X Blue

Both Systems:

Windows 7+10

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2010, 12:02:23 pm »
Hi Soar

$3.00 a gallon! I can only remember that price about 20 years or more ago. :'(

Zalman PSUs are fairly well made (not by themselves of course) but the only personal experience I have had af them was not good. I purchased a 750W silent heatpipe version to power my present build but found it totally inadequate and had to replace it with a Corsair. It is running my backup system now but just about anything would run that so I can't say that is a good reference.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2010, 12:21:25 pm »
Hi Soar,

I've used Zalman PSU's  a couple of times and never had a problem with them. Mind you, they were for pretty standard builds and nothing over the top. If the price is really good then I think they are worth getting hold of.

If you want to ship one over for me to use in a new build I'm putting together for my old mum I wouldn't object.  ;)
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2010, 01:17:23 pm »
You keep trying absic it might pay off in the end and you can put it with all the other goodies that people send you  ;D
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2010, 01:20:22 pm »
Always the optimist me.  :D
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2010, 08:15:37 pm »
Hi Soar,

I've used Zalman PSU's  a couple of times and never had a problem with them. Mind you, they were for pretty standard builds and nothing over the top. If the price is really good then I think they are worth getting hold of.

If you want to ship one over for me to use in a new build I'm putting together for my old mum I wouldn't object.  ;)

AB and DM,

Thanks for the input!

So sorry, but shipping costs would be astronomical, so if I bought and shipped one of these units to you my shoes would squeak even louder, and my Uncle Scrooge would not like that at all!  

I am trying to pick up some Kaspersky licenses for you two.  Please let me know which Anti-virus software you like and would use or use on your customer's computers.  Also let me know if you prefer only anti-virus software or if you prefer the full internet security suite.  Just promise me you will not leak the info via Wiki to my Uncle Scrooge!

Oh, I ordered only one of the Zalmon 850's.  The price is below $90.  I think I will test one unit before purchasing large numbers of these units.  Most places are selling them in excess of $200 here in the US.  So I am trying to figure out why my vendor is offering me such a great deal on these.

The reviews seem to be very good.  Who knows, if I buy/sell enough of them then maybe I can afford the new Bulldozer chip that is about to be released!

Early Christmas anyone?

Up,  up, and away!

Soar

« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 08:28:33 pm by soarwitheagles »
AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
CM HAF X Blue

Both Systems:

Windows 7+10

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2010, 09:41:48 pm »
As you say Soar the price seems to good to be true but then again you do seem to get a great deal on certain things over there. I would just advise you to check they are the current model and haven't been superceded because of some problem. If you can post the model number I will see what I can find out about them.

I am not sure if the Bulldozer CPU will be on time as  I have heard conflicting reports on it's release. Still it is something to look forward to. I am even tempted to build an AMD system around it when it comes out. See what the performance is really like.

Kaspersky Internet Security would be very gratefully received Soar as that is what I use now and quite by chance was looking at it today online as my renewal is due early next year. Not a word to Uncle Scrooge nobody but you and me will know anything about it!
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2010, 09:58:26 am »
As you say Soar the price seems to good to be true but then again you do seem to get a great deal on certain things over there. I would just advise you to check they are the current model and haven't been superceded because of some problem. If you can post the model number I will see what I can find out about them.

I am not sure if the Bulldozer CPU will be on time as  I have heard conflicting reports on it's release. Still it is something to look forward to. I am even tempted to build an AMD system around it when it comes out. See what the performance is really like.

Kaspersky Internet Security would be very gratefully received Soar as that is what I use now and quite by chance was looking at it today online as my renewal is due early next year. Not a word to Uncle Scrooge nobody but you and me will know anything about it!

DM,

Thanks for the reply.  Ok, I will keep my eyes open for a 1-3 license version of Kaspersky IS 2010.  Please be patient with me and is it acceptable if I send you the key [you will be able to download the program from Kaspersky online]?

Last, here is the info on the Zalmon. I am interested in purchasing many units:

ZALMAN ZM850-HP 850W Power Supply Retail
ZM850-HP is an ultra-quiet power supply that complies with ATX12V Version 2.2, and supports the latest dual-core CPUs(Intel Core2 series/AMD Athlon64-X2 series), as well as the latest dual graphic card systems(NVIDIA® SLI®-Ready Certified).Dual heatpipes with ultra-high cooling performance incorporated on the main heat sources enable high load operation even at low fan RPM for a dramatic reduction in noise levels. By implementing Active PFC(Power Factor Correction), the Power Factor (PF) is improved up to 99% while harmful harmonic frequencies are reduced to meet the Line Harmonic Distortion Requirement of IEC61000-3-2 Class D Specification.

General
Type   ATX
Packaging   Retail
Specification
# of Fans   1
Output Capacity   850W
6 Pin PCI-E Connectors   4
8 Pin PCI-E Connectors   2
S-ATA Connectors   9
Feature
PFC   Active
Fanless   No
Cabling Support   Yes
Dual Core CPU Support   Yes
Quad Core CPU Support   Yes
Quad GPU Ready   Yes
SLI/CrossFire Support   SLI/CrossFire

Manufacturer SKU:   ZM850-HP

I can PM you the vendor after I do the purchase if you are interested.

Jonnyguru did a very good write up/review on the 600w model [nearly 4 years ago].  You can read about it here:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=30

Please let me know what you think of these units.

Thanks,

Soar
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 10:23:08 am by soarwitheagles »
AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
CM HAF X Blue

Both Systems:

Windows 7+10

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2010, 10:16:36 am »
Always the optimist me.  :D

Absic,

I like positive people and that is what is so nice about coming here to this forum...you guys are positive on a consistent basis and I appreciate each of you.

Thanks for your insight into these Zalmon's.  Am I correct in assuming they are not in the same league as Corsair, but several notches lower?
AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
CM HAF X Blue