Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-P67A-UD5 : doesn't boot as ACPI S4_S5 LEDS glow red

niekell

Re: GA-P67A-UD5 : doesn't boot as ACPI S4_S5 LEDS glow red
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2011, 11:15:02 am »
Hello Dark Mantis, and Lsdmeasap,

Part 1 : Fixing my SSD OS which is legacy from my old HW
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally I did remove the MB and test it with component by component up to containing all my HW.
There were issues along the way with the BIOS reverting, but eventually everything was installed and recognised.
I still had the device errors with the 1394 OCHC, no dual channel, and only 4 CPUs.
I just tried a different video card in the mix, as a few posts out there in internet-land suggested the install failure point was at the video card probe point.
Somehow that has resulted in the following.
1) Device errors with the 1394 OCHC are gone. I still have 31 instances, but 30 are disabled while one is listed as working properly.
2) Lsdmeasap has informed me that dual channel isn't being reported to Windows yet and to try Everest Ultimate (will try that and post back),
3) CPUs limited to 2 with 2 threads turned out to be a config layover from my previous HW, as Lsdmeasap pointed out I needed to turn off the setting in msconfig for the number of Processors to use. I did this and now Windows is correctly reporting 8 CPUs (4 with hyperthreading).
So technically all problems with the SSD OS which is legacy from my old HW are resolved.
Thanks HEAPS Dark Mantis and Lsdmeasap!
:)

Part 2 : New OS install with new HW using new HDD (non SSD)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
OS install... I've tried a bunch of combinations.
Both BD-DVD and new HDD (not SSD) are on SATA3.
I've tried IDE and AHCI.
I've tried SATA 0-3 Native Enabled and disabled.
I've tried changing the graphics card.
No BSOD anymore, but it just stops. I've left it for hours and nothing. Still stopped. I have to reset as its the only option left to regain control.

Install media is WIN7 ULT64 Install Disk from MS. It worked on my SSD install without problem. It was quick and clean with no problems.
From what I've read it isn't recommended to install in IDE mode and then switch to AHCI. It involves a registry hack to get AHCI working in the OS.
I was originally trying in IDE mode anyway, I only switched to attempting to install in AHCI today. Of the 7 or 8 attempts (I lost count) none worked, all halted and LOCKED-UP without BSOD at the same point the BSOD used to occur.
I don't actually have another optical drive I can try to use. Sorry.
I will try reverting to minimal HW but I am not hopeful.
I do not believe there is anything wrong with my install media as it is proven to install okay.

Best wishes, Niekell.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2011, 02:13:10 pm »
Have you tried clearing the CMOS and loading the Optimised BIOS defaults between removing the SSD and installing the magnetic drive?
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

niekell

« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2011, 05:58:26 am »
Hello Dark Mantis,

My most sincere apologies for not updating this post for... oh man... six months!
I did resolve my issue, but I'm not sure how repeatable the solution is.

New OS on new hardware... managed to get it done successfully in the end, but the method was non-intuitive and I don't know why it worked.
Here's what happened.
I tried with minimal hardware, using an individual stick of 1.5V RAM (2 x2GB and 2x 4GB) each time. No joy.
I tried with a stick of the 1.65V RAM at default (1.5V in the BIOS) and it wouldn't complete the OS install.
So, as you recommended previously with the 1.65V RAM, I put it up to 1.60V and viola!
Not only did it complete the OS install, it ran the quickest I've ever had a computer run... and thats even without an SSD in the picture! :0

So thats the OS problem solved, and with the new OS install there was no problem with the devices detected in Device Manager.

I switched back to the 12GB of 1.5V RAM after the OS was up and it hasn't caused a problem since... however it is no longer responding any faster than any other computer I've used recently. The crazy-fast speed of the 1.6V RAM is gone. In the 5 months since solving this problem I have never used more that 4GB RAM, not even with a greedy Virtual Machine running, so I'm thinking about switching back to the 1.6V RAM to see if that is still so much faster... or if it was just some anomaly which allowed me to install the OS and will never occur again.

Thanks for all your help Dark Mantis and Lsdmeasap.
Kudos to you both for you assistance. Mark this one off as a success!

Best wishes, Niekell.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2011, 09:47:23 am »
Hi again and thanks for the update. I am really glad that you managed to get it all working in the end and in response to your question about the speed increase  the only thing I can think of that would make a difference is that often less amount of memory will run  faster. That is why overclcokers usually only use a minimal amount of RAM.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 09:48:02 am by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB