Official GIGABYTE Forum

H77-DS3H no boot, memory compatibility and 3 questions...

yow

H77-DS3H no boot, memory compatibility and 3 questions...
« on: February 10, 2013, 02:00:18 am »
Hello everyone!

First, my english is a bit rusty, so pls bear with me.
Second, im kinda new in mounting new computers... ok lets go

The system is a H77-DS3H, with a i5 3470, and a pair of 4gb patriot PGD38G1600ELK, no speaker.

Ive assembled it, turned it on and no post, it was rebooting after 4 or so seconds, and nothing showed up in the screen, ive let it reboot a few times and nothing, so ive striped it of everything non critical, only the processor was left (yeah, no memory), the reboot continued, but now at about 10 seconds... ive tested the psu, and it was ok, i wasnt going to test another processor or the i5 cuz i didnt have extra thermal paste available (and thank goodnes i didnt test em, it would be a wasted work)... so ive sent it back to the retailer, and they tested it and sent them back to me, cuz it was a OK.

With the pieces back ive reassembled it and tested again, no luck, same problem, ive even tested the power switch, and the chassis for short circuit.

Ive researched a bit in the internet and found someone, jon doe (i dont remember his user name), with the exact same problem, but diferent equipment, he discovered that his issue were a bad memory, so far ive been testing my system without memory modules installed, yeah... i thought (and jon doe was with me) that even without a memory module present the system would stay turned on, which didnt happen... i grabed my nearest pc and used its memory for test, and it worked followed by a corrupted bios being auto-fixed...

So...
1st question: is this, the constant system restart, a normal behaviour with no memory or faulty memory installed?

i definitely need a speaker...

I went into testing the patriot memory pair, the culprit, i tested it in another system, a Z77 mobo, and it worked  :-\
I went to patriots homepage to check for compatibility, and all it says is "tested on Z77 and PsomeNumber chipsets"...

2nd question: beyond checking for frequency, is it a normal requirement to check for chipset compatibility with memories?

I have realized (as i typed this topic) i may have not let the mobo restart "enough" times for compatibility with the patriot memory pair which brings me to my 3rd question...

3rd question: How many times should i let the mobo try for compatibility with memory and when do i know it was given enough tries?

I will be runing precisely two more tests (cant think of anymore possible tests which i havent done), for mobo and processor integrity, and maybe a third if i feel a bios update may be deemed necessary.

thanks and sory for the long post...  :D

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: H77-DS3H no boot, memory compatibility and 3 questions...
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 08:10:54 am »
Hi there,

usually a motherboard won't work properly unless the CPU and at least one stick of RAM are mounted. The board can go into a constant reboot loop without a memory module installed.

I would advise you to disconnect all power from the PC and then to remove the CMOS battery for about 15 minutes to clear CMOS fully. Replace the battery and the try to restart the PC with just one stick of the Patriot Memory installed, along with the CPU. Hopefully this will get you up and running. You will have to reset the Date and Time in BIOS when you get going as this information is lost when you clear CMOS.

Usually, when I buy memory, I just check with the RAM Manufacturer for compatibility with the motherboard I am going to install it on to.

With a new build, if it goes into a reboot loop, such as you are experiencing, I would usually let it go through a few attempts to fire up. If it hasn't done it by the end of the third cycle, then it probably never will.

You don't say which other components you are using but if you are using a GPU, rather than the onboard graphics try removing this and connecting the monitor to one of the motherboard ports as this is probably what they did in the shop when they tested the parts and said they were OK.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

yow

Re: H77-DS3H no boot, memory compatibility and 3 questions...
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 12:31:33 am »
I would advise you to disconnect all power from the PC and then to remove the CMOS battery for about 15 minutes to clear CMOS fully. Replace the battery and the try to restart the PC with just one stick of the Patriot Memory installed, along with the CPU. Hopefully this will get you up and running. You will have to reset the Date and Time in BIOS when you get going as this information is lost when you clear CMOS.

You don't say which other components you are using but if you are using a GPU, rather than the onboard graphics try removing this and connecting the monitor to one of the motherboard ports as this is probably what they did in the shop when they tested the parts and said they were OK.

Thanks for the reply absic.

I have done a cmos clear today, but the memory still a no go for the mobo.

I havent used a GPU, and dont intend to until a GPUless system is running ok

Ive filed the e-form for incompatibility issue with the retailer, i hope the charge, for product exchange, wont give my guts reason to update the bios for another test run.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 12:32:39 am by yow »